The Remakes Game!

|ZiR|

The Man said:

Oh dear. I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, I really do love the Poltergeist movies and a new movie could be cool. On the other hand... remakes usually blow. I remember a few years back there was a rumor that they were talking about a 4th movie with Hilary Duff in the role of Carol Anne. :)sick:)

But I must say that I had managed to forget about the Suspiria remake and am now thoroughly depressed about it all over again. THANKS, INTERNET.

The Man

|ZiR| said:
Oh dear. I don't know how I feel about this. On the one hand, I really do love the Poltergeist movies and a new movie could be cool. On the other hand... remakes usually blow. I remember a few years back there was a rumor that they were talking about a 4th movie with Hilary Duff in the role of Carol Anne. :)sick:)

But I must say that I had managed to forget about the Suspiria remake and am now thoroughly depressed about it all over again. THANKS, INTERNET.

Hillary Duff sucked into a television? Hollywood, you suck balls!

I do wish they would stop it with all this remake business.

W.H.Y are they tampering with perfectly great movies? Psycho was another waste of time.

I heard recently that they were going to remake Cannonball Run II. Now this is the type of movie that should be remade. This time they could make it good.

Goonie

Here's a scary remake:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2T5_0AGdFic&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2T5_0AGdFic&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Man

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23152*

If you’re wondering, ‘Vadim who?’, he’s the super-serious director behind the ultra-depressing flicks, The House Of Sand And Fog, and The Life Behind Her Eyes. So, while he may not immediately seem the perfect fit for a commercial horror flick about a family whose home becomes haunted by an evil entity, he – and we - would beg to differ. A master of establishing an unsettling tone and exploring the dynamics of a family under pressure, Perelman might be perfect for this gig, as he’s likely to avoid cat-in-a-fridge type scares.

At the moment, little is known about the Poltergeist remake. The story seems relatively intact, but we don’t know, for instance, whether it will again focus on a family called the Freelings, or whether it will focus on their intuitive young daughter, Carol Anne. Or if it’ll have a freaky mini-psychic. Or that bit where the researcher claws off his own face in the bathroom. Or that bit where Jobeth Williams runs down the corridor, but it gets longer and longer as she goes. Or the bit with the tree. Or the bit with the clown.

*Does this remake merit its own thread? Not just yet...

Muttette

Goonie said:
Here's a scary remake:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2T5_0AGdFic&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2T5_0AGdFic&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That was just creepy! :dead:

The Robocop remake makes me sad... that was just such a classic movie, why do people who love the originals so much think they're actually doing the rest of us a favour by rehashing it and making it worse?! (n)

And Top Gun II...? Oh for the love of David Tennant...

*edited cos being a coprophilic is just nasty! ;)

Last edited:
Muttette said:
And Top Gun II...? Oh for the love of crap...

And now we have a coprophilic among us?

:rolleyes:

Latest news on the Bad Lieutenant remake is that it's not so much a remake as a new story. It takes place in New Orleans this time and stars Nick Cage, Val Kilmer and xzibit. :sick:

The Man

ResidentAlien said:
Latest news on the Bad Lieutenant remake is that it's not so much a remake as a new story. It takes place in New Orleans this time and stars Nick Cage, Val Kilmer and xzibit. :sick:

Is Eva Mendes still in there?

|ZiR| said:

ZiR, have you seen The Mother of Tears yet? It gets a DVD release on the 23rd--it'll by my birthday gift to myself. :) But yeah... I was always disappointed in Inferno--hopefully Mother of Tears can live up to Suspiria to some small degree... though most of the reviews I've read are decidedly lukewarm.

|ZiR|

ResidentAlien said:
ZiR, have you seen The Mother of Tears yet? It gets a DVD release on the 23rd--it'll by my birthday gift to myself. :) But yeah... I was always disappointed in Inferno--hopefully Mother of Tears can live up to Suspiria to some small degree... though most of the reviews I've read are decidedly lukewarm.

No I have not! I have it downloaded on my other computer but I never got around to watching it. The quality's pretty crap. I'd rather wait for the official DVD release and watch it on a big TV screen instead.

You're right about the reviews; in fact, the majority of the ones I read were definitely more negative. To be honest, I'm not so crazy Asia Argento. The only *real* role I've seen her in was Land of the Dead and (though this is probably unfair of me) I just don't think she's that great of an actress.

I hope I'm proven wrong!

|ZiR| said:
No I have not! I have it downloaded on my other computer but I never got around to watching it. The quality's pretty crap. I'd rather wait for the official DVD release and watch it on a big TV screen instead.

You're right about the reviews; in fact, the majority of the ones I read were definitely more negative. To be honest, I'm not so crazy Asia Argento. The only *real* role I've seen her in was Land of the Dead and (though this is probably unfair of me) I just don't think she's that great of an actress.

I hope I'm proven wrong!

I've never seen her in a movie I like either. Did see her in XXX (uuuugh) too. But she's mega-delicious so I can forgive her those ****ty movies. Besides, with papa Dario... I've more faith in her.

Aside from the **** movies I've seen her in, I've watched some of the videos she posts online and read some interviews... she comes across as massively groovy. Like the kinda gal I'd love to hang with. Crazy existential discussions and such...

Hey, you're never on Yahoo anymore. Care to ever get on again?

The Man

Wanna CG Moby..?

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23298

Thar she blows! Why, it looks like.. a re-imagining of Herman Melville's classic tale of the white whale, Moby Dick.

Apparently this take will abandon the first-person narration, giving the makers more scope to show the havoc wrought on other shipping by the whale. Ahab will be more charismatic leader than brooding obsessive, and it will be an "action-adventure revenge story" with advanced visual effects. Which seems, y'know, kinda reductive of a very complex book, but hey! It'll look cool.

The Man

They'll burn for this...*

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23349

Today?s possibly unnecessary remake is?

Angel Heart.

Yes, the Alan Parker-directed, genuinely disturbing horror/noir that gave Mickey Rourke one of his finest roles, Robert De Niro one of his most memorable bad guy turns, and Bill Cosby a funny turn as he watched his on-screen daughter, Lisa Bonet, get rogered senseless by Rourke. And yes, the same Angel Heart that?s only twenty-one years old.

And the remake has a solid creative team behind it ? it?s being developed by former New Line big shot, Michael De Luca, Alison Rosenzweig and Michael Gaeta. The trio bought the remake rights from an anonymous UK firm and, in a masterstroke, also picked up the rights to the book, Fallen Angel, on which the film was nominally based.

*Yeah. In Hell...

The Man

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117994363.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Andy Fickman has made a deal with Roseblood Movie Company and Twisted Pictures to godfather four remakes from RKO?s horror heyday, including three that were produced by horrormeister Val Lewton. Fickman will direct at least one of the films.

The remake properties are the Jacques Tourneur-directed ?I Walked With a Zombie? (1943); the Robert Wise-directed Bela Lugosi-Boris Karloff starrer ?The Body Snatcher? (1945); the Mark Robson-directed Karloff starrer ?Bedlam? (1946); and the John Farrow-directed Lucille Ball-John Carradine starrer ?Five Came Back? (1939).

Indy's brother

Remake "I walked with a zombie"? It could be made for todays audience, but it'll be tricky, I think. On another note (as long as I'm here) I've been considering for some time now to do a rewrite of "Tomorrow the World" with a darker tone and with a slightly older Emil and Pat. The film would benifit from dropping the cutesy treatment it suffered from because of the time it was made. You know, like "Lolita" was. Lolita's cable only remake with Jeremy Irons was pretty good.

*is it just me or was I all over the place with that post?