Fedora's hat

Sam Falco

Because the whip is a weapon and he may have needed it again, the temple was falling apart, man. He might have needed to get across another hole in the floor. The point is, the hat has no USE to Indy, its just lucky hat and he would probably lose his arm before he lost that hat. As for comparing the whip retrieval, gimme a break... The whip was already under the door, Indy just yanked it out before it closed on the end. The hat was INSIDE the room and Indy went after it at GREAT risk of bodily harm to himself... just for a hat. I dunno bout you, but I wouldnt risk my ARM for "just some hat"

As for the question of why Fedora's hat looks different, come on guys, it ages like 20 years from one shot to the next! The pinch? Anyone who owns a hat and USES it all the time knows, the more times you take off or put on a hat, the tighter the pinch gets. So obviously Indy got a lot of use outta that hat.

and the most prominent point... they call him "The man with THE hat." not "The man with A hat" Its all part of a FICTIONAL CHARACTER, guys. Could the fedora have relistically survived all these years? Probably not. But its Indiana Jones, the man is a blessed SOB.

nitzsche

So then by the time LC and KotCS come around, he must have a new hat because there's less of a "pinch" than in Raiders?

Indy grabbing his hat at the last second under the door is a funny moment in ToD. It was filmed as a funny moment in ToD.

The creators had no anticipation of a back story where a looter in 1912 placed a fedora on Indy's head to console him. This idea hadn't been conceived of while filming ToD.

So the scene obviously has no relevance to whether or not that was the same hat from 1912.

Keep trying.

Sam Falco

I'm not using the scene from Temple of Doom to prove its the same hat, I'm saying that the hat means something to Indy on a personal level. He cares about the hat enough to go to pretty extraordinary means to get it back. and if we're talking about it from the standpoint of the creators, they have made it ABUNDANTLY clear that Indy's hat is one of the most iconic things about him and I think that they assume WE'RE smart enough to assume its the same one.

As for your crack about the pinch, idk bout you, but in the still image of Indy standing on top of the crates from KOTCS, it looks pretty damn pinched to me.

muttjones

Sam Falco said:
I'm not using the scene from Temple of Doom to prove its the same hat, I'm saying that the hat means something to Indy on a personal level. He cares about the hat enough to go to pretty extraordinary means to get it back. and if we're talking about it from the standpoint of the creators, they have made it ABUNDANTLY clear that Indy's hat is one of the most iconic things about him and I think that they assume WE'RE smart enough to assume its the same one.

As for your crack about the pinch, idk bout you, but in the still image of Indy standing on top of the crates from KOTCS, it looks pretty damn pinched to me.

hear hear!!!!!!!(y)

Las Vegas Jones

What that scene meant is that, that was the only hat he had with him at that time and I don't know about you, if I only have one hat and need it where I am, I will do what it takes to keep it with me!

I am positive Indy had more than one hat and replaced it after it was damaged or destroyed after an adventure.

The one Fedora gave him was just the first of many.

The fact of reality was that it wasn't even the same brand of hat and was not blocked the same way so I doubt it was different in the "reality" of the movies

Different time period, different hats

Sam Falco

Yeah, thats why they made such a big deal about the importance of the hat, not only in TOD, but in TOD, LC and KOTCS. Your right, its an absolutely meaningless thing to Indy.:rolleyes:

Its pretty ridiculous that this is even a discussion, I garuntee if you asked the big three, they'd say its supposed to be the same hat.

ValenciaGrail

What that scene meant is that, that was the only hat he had with him at that time and I don't know about you, if I only have one hat and need it where I am, I will do what it takes to keep it with me!

Ummm, this Deep Thought by Jack Handey comes to mind (SNL, circa late 1980's):

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

You would do what it takes to keep essential survival gear with you.
Hats do not qualify. Perhaps it was a unique fashion statement, but I doubt that mattered much in Pankot.
So why else risk turning your arm into goo to retain a hat? Maybe because it was THE hat....

The fact of reality was that it wasn't even the same brand of hat and was not blocked the same way so I doubt it was different in the "reality" of the movies
Different time period, different hats

If you'd care to read a mere seven posts back in time...same page no less...you would have seen this:

As far as the “It’s clearly not the same hat” argument – hats can be reshaped with deeper pinches and ribbons can be replaced. That’s a no-brainer. It can be the same hat, but restyled and refurbished according to Indy’s liking over the years. The novelizations even contain indications that Indy had the hat blocked and shaped periodically.

set, match, game...next question

Raiders90

ValenciaGrail said:
Ummm, this Deep Thought by Jack Handey comes to mind (SNL, circa late 1980's):

"If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let'em go, because, man, they're gone."

You would do what it takes to keep essential survival gear with you.
Hats do not qualify. Perhaps it was a unique fashion statement, but I doubt that mattered much in Pankot.
So why else risk turning your arm into goo to retain a hat? Maybe because it was THE hat....

If you'd care to read a mere seven posts back in time...same page no less...you would have seen this:

set, match, game...next question

True. In the 1930s, hats were a dime a dozen. They were as common place as a pair of pants are. If the hat he had wasn't truly special, he wouldn't have risked an arm for it.

Las Vegas Jones

IF the film makers (Spielberg & Lucas) had meant for it to be the SAME hat they would have had the costume designer for LC use one of the hats made for Harrison for the film NOT an out of the box fedora from Western Costume.

It was an out of the box fedora, I worked at Western at the time the film was made. It was NOT any of the Fedoras made for Mr Ford. Period.

ValenciaGrail

Las Vegas Jones said:
IF the film makers (Spielberg & Lucas) had meant for it to be the SAME hat they would have had the costume designer for LC use one of the hats made for Harrison for the film NOT an out of the box fedora from Western Costume.

It was an out of the box fedora, I worked at Western at the time the film was made. It was NOT any of the Fedoras made for Mr Ford. Period.

Did you know a different actor - other than Sean Connery - played Indy's dad in the 1912 scene which didn't show his face.

Gee whiz, I guess that means Sean Connery's character was Indy's ADOPTED dad then. After all, why not just use the same actor if they intended it to be the same person? They both had a Scottish accent, by that's just coincidence. Utah was just loaded with Scots in the 1910's

Sean Connery is only 12 years older than Ford, so it is SOOOOO impossible for him to have been Indy's real dad. Why can't people see that? They would have picked a much older actor if he were supposed to be Indy's real dad.

His real dad must have died sometime after 1912...it makes me so mad that no one can see this...Indy SOOOOO obviously had two dads.

Two actors = two dads, end of story.

:)rolleyes:

muttjones

ValenciaGrail said:
Did you know a different actor - other than Sean Connery - played Indy's dad in the 1912 scene which didn't show his face.

Gee whiz, I guess that means Sean Connery's character was Indy's ADOPTED dad then. After all, why not just use the same actor if they intended it to be the same person? They both had a Scottish accent, by that's just coincidence. Utah was just loaded with Scots in the 1910's

Sean Connery is only 12 years older than Ford, so it is SOOOOO impossible for him to have been Indy's real dad. Why can't people see that? They would have picked a much older actor if he were supposed to be Indy's real dad.

His real dad must have died sometime after 1912...it makes me so mad that no one can see this...Indy SOOOOO obviously had two dads.

Two actors = two dads, end of story.

:)rolleyes:

connery is 12 years older than ford. Not Jones Snr. is 12 tears older than indy.

In LC indy is 39. jones snr. must be early 70s or something then.

Las Vegas Jones

The other actor was playing the same character and Sean Connery dubbed his voice AND you never saw his face in LC either just his hands

By your logic Harrison isn't Indiana since River Phoenix played him in the beginning of LC

Face it, its not the same hat.

ValenciaGrail

Las Vegas Jones said:
The other actor was playing the same character and Sean Connery dubbed his voice AND you never saw his face in LC either just his hands

By your logic Harrison isn't Indiana since River Phoenix played him in the beginning of LC

Face it, its not the same hat.

From www.moviemistakes.com

....Continuity: When the tank goes over the cliff, the turret detaches upon impact. But in a subsequent shot, the tank is shown rolling over with the turret still attached.

Factual error: When Adolf Hitler autographs Indiana's grail diary, he does so with his right hand; in reality, Hitler was left-handed.

Factual error: In this film, and in Raiders of the Lost Ark, the German vehicles are clearly marked with the DAK (Deutsch Afrika Korp) symbol (a swastika over a palm tree.) The DAK and its symbol were not created until 1942 when Hitler tried to rescue his Italian allies in North Africa.....etc. ?.etc?.etc?.

Oh, wait, here's another one.....:

Continuity: When the Fedora character presents young Indy with the iconic hat which would follow him throughout his life and survive many adventures, it is actually a slightly different type of hat used for this scene. By hitting "pause" on the DVD, magnifying 5,000 times, performing spectral analysis on the image, and enhancing with false color, it is clear that the pinch has 15% less volume than the hat used in ROTLA. A micrometer also reveals a 12% difference in the diameter of the ribbon. The ribbon also shows different spectral signatures between the hats, which points to cotton grown in the Sub Saharan Africa, while the cotton used in the ribbon in the ROTLA hat was clearly of US domestic origin.
This has been noted by slightly neurotic and anal cognoscenti in the costume industry, who comprise approximately .003% of the population.

Okey-Dokey, then, you?re right...it IS a different hat, alright...issue settled

Different prop = oversight in moviemaking details.
We?ve certainly seen bigger continuity errors than that.
This does not preclude the possibility that the hats are the same in the Indyverse.

:rolleyes:

Sam Falco

Why is this such a huge issue? I mean jesus, people, do we REALLY have nothing else to discuss? The hat is an iconic thing and every movie they make an effort to make the hat appear weathered, beaten to hell and old, implying that the damn thing has been through a LOT of stuff. Its supposed to be the same hat, nobody EVER questioned that before this ridiculous topic was suggested here.

muttjones

Sam Falco said:
Why is this such a huge issue? I mean jesus, people, do we REALLY have nothing else to discuss? The hat is an iconic thing and every movie they make an effort to make the hat appear weathered, beaten to hell and old, implying that the damn thing has been through a LOT of stuff. Its supposed to be the same hat, nobody EVER questioned that before this ridiculous topic was suggested here.

obviously things happen different in the indyverse.

im sick of this hat thread:sick:

im dieing because of this hat thread:eek:

im dead because of this hat thread:dead:

Las Vegas Jones

No one is going to see eye to eye on this and I agree it has gotten way out of hand(n)

I, for one, am done here, I have said what I have to say and I will see everyone in other threads

:hat:

Stoo

Sam Falco said:
Actually, it has been questioned before. In the grand scheme of things, does it matter? No...
but it's slightly more interesting than arguing about Indy 4 and "nucular" explosions.

As for differences between Fedora's & Indy's models, just watch the linking segments for
"Spring Break Adventure" and realise the fact that this should all be taken with a grain of salt.

Symbolically, Fedora's hat stayed with him throughout his teen years.
Look at the ribbon in "Winds of Change" (1919). The thing is ragged & tattered.
It was obviously replaced later (the ribbon, I mean).

For all the "same hat" people. In the very 1st movie, Indy loses his brown one!

Sam Falco

He doesnt lose it, he just left it on the Bantu Wind, along with all his other gear, which he still has later, so obviously he got it back.

Stoo

Sam Falco said:
He doesnt lose it, he just left it on the Bantu Wind, along with all his other gear, which he still has later, so obviously he got it back.
Well, essentially, he does lose his gear. Either:

1) Katanga, the honourable pirate that he is, somehow delivers Indy's kit back to Sallah. (Except the gun...
Indy uses a Webley in "Crusade" so maybe his Smith & Wesson is stolen/mysteriously disappears on the ship.)

2) Indy has extras/buys new gear when he arrives back home. The whip in "Crusade" is different than "Raiders".:whip:
One of his spare hats could have been the orginal hat from Fedora. He could have pulled out of the closet before
the 1938 Portuguese adventure!

I can picture H.Ford saying, "It's the last one I've got..."