Where did Indy Learn To Fight?

Indyologist

From my fictional diary, "Living With Indy"--

I asked Indy how he learned to fight.
"Well, kid," he said, "if you want to learn how to fight, there's one thing you have to do first."
"What's that?"
"You have to get beat up first. Maybe a couple of times. THEN, you're ready to learn how to fight. It's a good idea to be on the receiving end before you slug someone. Uh, not that I'd recommend you go out and pick a fight."

It makes sense, really. I think. Indy's got an interesting mind. I can't imagine anyone getting one over on Indy and beating him up, though. But I'll bet it's happened...

Indy went on to say that he learned a lot about fighting when he was in the Great War, but he said life as a man in general will teach you pretty quick. He told me his first big fight was at a Navajo reservation he lived near when he was a kid. Indy used to hang out with quite a few Navajo kids and he was picked on about that in school. Anyways, I guess one of the Navajo boys was a bully. He accused Indy of something, I can't remember what, and the kid gave Indy a good pounding. That happened a couple of times until Indy got sick of it and just pulled back and smashed him in the mouth without even thinking. I guess the kid lost a tooth and ran away crying! Indy said that that was when he learned the truth about all bullies: whether they're the kid down the block or Adolf Hitler, they're cowards at their core who are fooled by their own power, and that power usually backfires on them one day. That really made me smile when he said that. Indy has learned his life lessons well and I like to hear what he has to say.

I asked him what he thought about women who fight. He surprized me by saying that the women he knew who were caught in a fight were some of the toughest people he's met. But they're few and far between, he said, because men are usually expected to be more aggressive. He said some of the best women fighters he'd seen were Asian. Then he told me something amazing (nothing new about THAT!), he said, "did you know that in feudal Japan, WOMEN could be samuris too? They lived by Bushido just like the men did," he said, "except when they commited suicide-- you know, seppuku-- they stabbed themselves in the throat." Geez!

By the way, Indy said that "seppuku" literally means "belly cutting." Indy also said to never call it "hari-kari" if you're in Japan. It's considered insulting.

Last edited:

whipem

I've been taking karate for a little over a month, so I've been hoping for a fight, naive as it is!

Raffey

The best way to learn how to fight is to fight.

You can theorize, read, train, take lessons for years.

Once your opponent pops you on the nose for the every first time making your eyes water with tears all of that seems to go out the door. :D And survival instincts tend to kick in.

The funny thing is if you watch the Ultimate Fighting championships almost all of the fights turn into wrestling matches just like most fights on campus.

blur

whipem816 said:
I've been taking karate for a little over a month, so I've been hoping for a fight, naive as it is!

Sounds like you're being taught by the wrong people.

Deadlock

whipem816 said:

Here's a little piece of advice: watch out for the people who've been taking Karate for TWO months.

Indyologist

IndyJohan said:
I take Indy Fightology 101

LOL!

Subjects covered in "Indy Fightology 101":

* Effective blocking
* Improvisation with furniture (and anything else that's handy)
* Grunts, growls, and battle cries
* Taking hits with grace
* How to eat dirt and like it
* Effective crotch kicking
* How to break a nose

Finn

Staff member
And as a final test, "How to make believable winces when there's a pretty lass patching you up."

Indyologist

whipem816 said:

Sorry to burst your bubble of testosterone, but good martial arts students don't roam the streets looking to pick a fight. That's not a martial artist-- that's a common street thug. Don't reduce yourself to that kind of crap. Keep that kind of junk in the "'hood." Remember that when a person masters a martial art, their hands are REGISTERED WEAPONS, and all weapons should be treated with respect and used only when absolutely necessary.

Keep working on your skills in martial arts, but have some maturity and respect for what you are learning, okay?

Canyon

Indyologist said:
From my fictional diary, "Living With Indy"--

I asked Indy how he learned to fight.
"Well, kid," he said, "if you want to learn how to fight, there's one thing you have to do first."
"What's that?"
"You have to get beat up first. Maybe a couple of times. THEN, you're ready to learn how to fight. It's a good idea to be on the receiving end before you slug someone. Uh, not that I'd recommend you go out and pick a fight."

It makes sense, really. I think. Indy's got an interesting mind. I can't imagine anyone getting one over on Indy and beating him up, though. But I'll bet it's happened...

Indy went on to say that he learned a lot about fighting when he was in the Great War, but he said life as a man in general will teach you pretty quick. He told me his first big fight was at a Navajo reservation he lived near when he was a kid. Indy used to hang out with quite a few Navajo kids and he was picked on about that in school. Anyways, I guess one of the Navajo boys was a bully. He accused Indy of something, I can't remember what, and the kid gave Indy a good pounding. That happened a couple of times until Indy got sick of it and just pulled back and smashed him in the mouth without even thinking. I guess the kid lost a tooth and ran away crying! Indy said that that was when he learned the truth about all bullies: whether they're the kid down the block or Adolf Hitler, they're cowards at their core who are fooled by their own power, and that power usually backfires on them one day. That really made me smile when he said that. Indy has learned his life lessons well and I like to hear what he has to say.

I asked him what he thought about women who fight. He surprized me by saying that the women he knew who were caught in a fight were some of the toughest people he's met. But they're few and far between, he said, because men are usually expected to be more aggressive. He said some of the best women fighters he'd seen were Asian. Then he told me something amazing (nothing new about THAT!), he said, "did you know that in feudal Japan, WOMEN could be samuris too? They lived by Bushido just like the men did," he said, "except when they commited suicide-- you know, seppuku-- they stabbed themselves in the throat." Geez!

By the way, Indy said that "seppuku" literally means "belly cutting." Indy also said to never call it "hari-kari" if you're in Japan. It's considered insulting.

Wow, Indyologist! That has to be one of the coolest posts I've read in a long time! It's awesome!

Have you ever thought of putting this 'diary' online or is it personal?

Finn

Staff member
Cool, yeah, but someone has NOT done her homework...

feudal - <i>feodal</i>

samuri - <i>samurai</i>

hari-kari - <i>harakiri</i> (I had the most laughs on this one.)

Finn

Staff member
<small>You have the right to remain silent. Everything you mispell can be used against you before your fellow raveners. You have the right to hire a nitpicker who will follow your actions. If you can't afford a nitpicker, one will appointed to you...</small>

Deadlock

<small>Those public nitpickers... They're totally worthless! I did 5 years once just for misspelling "connoisseur." I was clearly provoked into trying to use a French word...</small>

Last edited: