Hot Toys Indiana Jones Figure

TheLostCrusader

I'm in no way saying that this is a bad figure, I'm just saying when compared to some of Hot Toys other work this is a little underwhelming. I mean, to me this isn't as good a likeness as the SS German disguise Indy. I love all the extras that will be packaged with it, and the outfit, with the exception of the black web belt and the "brand new" looking Aldens is spot on. I guess I've always figured that if Hot Toys ever did do an Indy figure it would be "perfect" and with that kind of anticipation nothing would ever live up to it. Great figure and a must have purchase, but I hope they tweak the likeness.

Billy Ray

Nurhachi1991 said:
Well the figure looks alright but in the movie Harrison had his pants specially dry cleaned and pressed and the pants on the figure look like they just went in the washing machine.... and his socks an 1/4 shorter than the ones in the movie and if memory serves Indy had 495 hairs of stubble and this figure only has 493....

Sounds like you have been spending a little too much time on the Sideshow Freaks boards ;)

phantom train

I had high hopes for the IJ SS line when it debuted in 2008 - I then got the 12" ROTLA IJ, Belloq, IJ German outfit, and Toht figures, and thought they were all great.

However, when I later heard that SS was going to temporarily stop making IJ figures I was dissapointed - even though they were somewhat high-priced, you were getting a great deal for the $ - plus, they were really not that much more $ than the SW SS 12" figures, which were comparable in many ways.

However, now that Hot Toys has the license I'm not that excited - though their toys look good, they're waaaayyy too expensive for me, and I just can't justify spending the $ on these.

Hopefully SS will get back in the IJ 12" figure game at some point, but I won't be holding my breath :(

Last edited:

Dig Site 1138

phantom train said:
I had high hopes for the IJ SS line when it debuted in 2008 - I then got the 12" ROTLA IJ, Belloq, IJ German outfit, and Toht figures, and thought they were all great.

However, when I later heard that SS was going to temporarily stop making IJ figures I was dissapointed - even though they were somewhat high-priced, you were getting a great deal for the $ - plus, they were really not that much more $ than the SW SS 12" figures, which were comparable in many ways.

However, now that Hot Toys has the license I'm not that excited - though their toys look good, they're waaaayyy too expensive for me, and I just can't justify spending the $ on these.

Hopefully SS will get back in the IJ 12" figure game at some point, but I won't be holding my breath :(

I'm with you. I just want: 1. consistency of scale and manufacture and
2. more of the characters who aren't Indiana Jones. ROTLA alone has so many great, seedy characters who are begging to be action figures that it's ridiculous.

Also ridiculous is the fact that we have had four different 12" scale manufacturers with this license in the span of a year and a half. And every one has started with a figure of Indiana Jones. *sigh*

I should have stuck with my vintage Kenner 12".

Montana Smith

Dig Site 1138 said:
I'm with you. I just want: 1. consistency of scale and manufacture ... Also ridiculous is the fact that we have had four different 12" scale manufacturers with this license in the span of a year and a half. And every one has started with a figure of Indiana Jones. *sigh*

Yes, there have been quite a few versions of ROTLA Indy over the years:

compareIndys.jpg

Dig Site 1138 said:
2. more of the characters who aren't Indiana Jones. ROTLA alone has so many great, seedy characters who are begging to be action figures that it's ridiculous.

Maybe that's going to be more of a possibility with Hot Toys, since they service a much smaller collector market. It seems inevitable that every company has to get over the hurdle of doing Raiders Indy first.

Dig Site 1138 said:
I should have stuck with my vintage Kenner 12".

Because they got his fedora perfect back then! :p

kennerindy.jpg

Billy Ray

Well, I have both the Medicom and Sideshow Indys and love them both on their own merits. I am excited to be adding the Hot Toys figure to my collection as well. I think he looks great! Price is definitely a factor, but we are getting quite a bit with this one. Fortunately I got some $$ for Christmas which I will be holding onto for this. A lot of folks on the SS Freaks are complaining about them including the Idol pedestal, which I don't really get. SS's is nice, but also pretty pricey. I may have ordered one if I could have gotten it by itself instead of with Belloq.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Well, I have both the Medicom and Sideshow Indys and love them both on their own merits. I am excited to be adding the Hot Toys figure to my collection as well. I think he looks great! Price is definitely a factor, but we are getting quite a bit with this one. Fortunately I got some $$ for Christmas which I will be holding onto for this. A lot of folks on the SS Freaks are complaining about them including the Idol pedestal, which I don't really get. SS's is nice, but also pretty pricey. I may have ordered one if I could have gotten it by itself instead of with Belloq.

I can understand not wanting the pedestal. I'm really just interested in the figure, so the environment just eats into the probable $200 price tagc. For the extra I'd have liked another headsculpt, and more figure accessories and outfits.

I'm also liking the new HT Resident Evil Alice (Milla Jovovich). I have a feeling I'm going to be concentrating on HT figures in future.

Montana Smith

Another new shot from the Sideshow Freaks thread:

HTIndy.jpg

And to compare with Harrison again:

indiana_jones_1.jpg

Is it Indy, or am I going snowblind?

Last edited:

Billy Ray

Can't vouch for the source, but a guy over on the Sideshow Freaks said he e-mailed HT and they replied back saying they will be releasing specs on this figure soon. He also says that someone he knows with HT connections told him that the sculpt is "definitely being revised".

I'm happy with the sculpt as is, but do see some areas that have room for inprovement, especially the hat.

Will be interested to see if this pans out.

Montana Smith

Billy Ray said:
Can't vouch for the source, but a guy over on the Sideshow Freaks said he e-mailed HT and they replied back saying they will be releasing specs on this figure soon. He also says that someone he knows with HT connections told him that the sculpt is "definitely being revised".

I'm happy with the sculpt as is, but do see some areas that have room for inprovement, especially the hat.

Will be interested to see if this pans out.

If it's true, then that's good news, though they never did give us a chance to see studio photos to make a proper judgement - as opposed to the knee-jerk reactions of some critics on SF who based their view on the event snaps.

Nurhachi1991

Billy Ray said:
Sounds like you have been spending a little too much time on the Sideshow Freaks boards ;)

Haha ive never even been on the boards im just poking a bit of fun at the nit pickers :) I mean its a figure it looks like Indy good enough for me :hat:

I still dont own one sideshow/hot toys figure

Billy Ray

Yeah, I picked up on that LOL. The funny thing is, that really does sound like some of the stuff people go on and on about over there!

I.M.J.

Nurhachi1991 said:
Haha ive never even been on the boards im just poking a bit of fun at the nit pickers :) I mean its a figure it looks like Indy good enough for me :hat:

Well said!

Montana Smith

michael said:
Well they don't call it Sideshow Freaks for nothing. :whip:

I haven't posted much there, but I just realized that I'm no longer 'Just a little freaky', but have become 'Freakalicious'. That's disturbing.

Some of the bitter dogfights there, over seemingly inconsequential details, are extremely freaky.

Billy Ray said:
Yeah, I picked up on that LOL. The funny thing is, that really does sound like some of the stuff people go on and on about over there!

I particularly enjoyed the squabbling and criticizms over there a few years back about a custom Daniel Craig headsculpt that a select few were able to shell out big bucks for...and then the sculptor either sold the sculpt to a toy company a lil while later to be mass produced, or some claimed it was ripped off.

Either way, I bought the said "ripped off" figure and it looks great next to my other 5 James Bonds from Sideshow. Suckas! :p