RARE 'Raiders' Production T-Shirt & Poster Cell!

Indy89

I'm a HUGE Indiana Jones fan - specifically 'Raiders of the Lost Ark.' As luck would have it, some one I'm working for currently actually worked on the film! Apparently, he worked in international marketing back in 1981 for Paramount.

Anyway, after expressing to him how much of a fan I was of Raiders and coaxing some stories out of him, I was surprised to hear that he still has some items and would be more than willing to dig them up for me.

This video presents those 2 of the amazing pieces he gave me from his 'Raiders' production items.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQmyoF0elbI

Enjoy, Indy fans! :whip:

Very cool items! But you need to understand that no one from Paramount 'worked' on the film. It was entirely paid for by Lucasfilm. The only part Paramount played in the release of the IJ films was distribution - just as 20th Century Fox did for STAR WARS. Paramount was responsible for promotion and distribution which is what your items are related to. Which does not take away for their cool factor :) I have neither item and was unaware of them until your posting. I had no idea that Paramount was creating their own internal shirts (I have all the LFL ones)...and will have to keep my ears open for news of anyone wanting to sell theirs!

Bravo -- and congrats again!

les
throwmetheidol.com

Very nice, but the cell is Drew Struzan Art...(y)

gm0809111512457012.jpg

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
throwmetheidol said:
Very cool items! But you need to understand that no one from Paramount 'worked' on the film. It was entirely paid for by Lucasfilm. The only part Paramount played in the release of the IJ films was distribution - just as 20th Century Fox did for STAR WARS. Paramount was responsible for promotion and distribution which is what your items are related to. Which does not take away for their cool factor :) I have neither item and was unaware of them until your posting. I had no idea that Paramount was creating their own internal shirts (I have all the LFL ones)...and will have to keep my ears open for news of anyone wanting to sell theirs!

Bravo -- and congrats again!

les
throwmetheidol.com

Lucasfilm put up the money? I don't think that's correct.

Although it was a Lucasfilm Production, Paramount put up $20m for production and with this they got rights to the movie and the sequels. Paramount got to re-coup production costs, interest expenses and distribution fees first. Lucasfilm had a very large profit participation. Once Paramount had covered it's costs Lucasfilm profited from a share in the rentals.

Raven7dp

Hello,

long time lurker and first time poster. I don't mean to hijack this thread by any means but I had purchased a crew shirt from a reputable dealer at CV last year. I haven't seen too many examples as I'm sure they're out there; and I hadn't focused on this aspect of collecting until I saw it at the dealer's booth. Just too cool to pass up. If anyone has any more info on it, I would welcome any comments. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Indy89

Thanks for all the comments and info, guys! I was told it was Amstel, but it totally has the Struzan look. The guy who gave these to me was VP of Marketing with Paramount over 30 years ago, so I don't blame him for forgetting a few details. ;)

However, he did get to visit the sets in England, as he was/is a good friend of Frank Marshall. I love the t-shirt because it marks an important piece of Spielbergian history, sort of saving his career by finishing a film under schedule and under budget.

Indy89

Raven7dp said:
Hello,

long time lurker and first time poster. I don't mean to hijack this thread by any means but I had purchased a crew shirt from a reputable dealer at CV last year. I haven't seen too many examples as I'm sure they're out there; and I hadn't focused on this aspect of collecting until I saw it at the dealer's booth. Just too cool to pass up. If anyone has any more info on it, I would welcome any comments. Thanks for looking.

The artwork on your t-shirt is awesome! It even has the same tag as mine ;)

Raven7dp

Well at least that's reassuring that the shirt is in the same time frame as yours. Again I bought it from a reputable dealer. I'm curious about the artwork and who the artist might have been. Definitely nothing I've seen elsewhere in publication.

Jonathan

GWSFilms said:
I was told it was Amstel...so I don't blame him for forgetting a few details. ;)
I can't tell you how many Amstels I bought girlfiends over the years, and they LOVED them! Drank them in...it was a sure-fire way to thier heart!

Not an unforgivable mistake, but it's better to know, right?:hat:

Raven7dp said:

The BEST Raiders shirt out there! I need to bootleg a few!