I, Frankenstein

Le Saboteur

Pale Horse said:
I hate the bastardization of literature.

You're going to absolutely love this then.

From the creators of the Underworld franchise comes the live-action adaptation of Darkstorm Comics' I, Frankenstein!

200-years after Frankenstein was last seen poling his floe, he turns up in The Modern Age looking a lot like Aaron Eckhart. That is, if Aaron Eckhart was really, really upset about learning he was too old to appear in Twilight. Turns out that Frankenstein's monster, here dubbed Adam, holds the secret to the Fate of All Mankind and gets in between two immortal warring clans.

Will Frank win the day? Will he get the chick? When did he learn armed combat?! Do he and The Joker have the same plastic surgeon?!

It's going to be an epic preternatural punch-up!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/pxOSPfUw3qw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frankenstein.jpg

Is that a Greek Orthodox cross?

kongisking

Harvey Dent as the Frankenstein Monster...because, why the f*** not?

:p

I'll wait for reviews. Sometimes utterly nutso projects like this work out, and are all the more pleasant and fun for it. Here's hoping...

Spurlock

I don't like the idea at all. Frankenstein is a classic example of early science fiction. Here he is turned into some Fantasy monster with powers and things no one would have. A good comparison I think would be to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. It takes a classic, well known character (though Lincoln actually existed), and places them in crazy circumstances.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
I don't like the idea at all. Frankenstein is a classic example of early science fiction. Here he is turned into some Fantasy monster with powers and things no one would have. A good comparison I think would be to Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. It takes a classic, well known character (though Lincoln actually existed), and places them in crazy circumstances.

I have a fondness for this kind of thing. Yes, I adore the Mary Shelly novel and the classic Universal films, but I still like completely outrageous takes like this. I don't care if it's shlocky in concept: if it's entertaining and reasonably well-made, I'll praise it. If you ask me, we need more wacky experiments like this with done-to-death stories. That is where creativity flourishes, more than making something new: making something new out of something old.

Spurlock

I only really like them if the plot fits the character. Like Frankenstein and AL: VH, they really just mashed two well known genre's together. Films like Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, on the other hand, are more my speed. This is because it doesn't change anything about the story or characters, just analyzes them further, in this case, what their lives would be like after their encounter with the witch.

I guess to each his own, and these movies are more original than reboots and spin-offs or prequels. I guess B Movie Historical Fantasy has an audience.

"If you ask me, we need more wacky experiments like this with done-to-death stories. That is where creativity flourishes, more than making something new: making something new out of something old."

Howard the Duck vs. The Creeper from Jeepers Creepers?

Spurlock

Gekkos Big Baws said:
That is where creativity flourishes, more than making something new: making something new out of something old."

I'm not entirely sure that makes sense. Something entirely new takes thought, inspiration and nothing else. Whereas if you're basing it off of something, you already are given an established understanding, making the whole process easier. As someone who likes to write, I can tell you that it's harder to come up with a new idea than to build off another.

What's a really hard thing to accomplish is to have an idea very similar to another, but to make it completely unique. In this movie however, the main character could just as easily have been Dracula or one of the three little pigs, there's nothing requiring Frank to be here. It's just stealing a character to place in a situation. It's basically like taking Indiana Jones and saying "hmm, now I want him in the year 2340 as an electrician..."

Montana Smith

kongisking said:
Harvey Dent as the Frankenstein Monster...because, why the f*** not?

:p

Why not, indeed. If the face fits!

Yet, with a title such as I, Frankenstein, one might suspect it to be one of those 'True Movies' - a biopic of Victor himself - told from beyond the grave.

There's a genuine Universal horror for which the title I, Frankenstein would have been far more fitting.

American Mary. A Victoria Frankenstein if ever there was one, though she attends to the living rather than the dead.

kongisking

Spurlock said:
I'm not entirely sure that makes sense. Something entirely new takes thought, inspiration and nothing else. Whereas if you're basing it off of something, you already are given an established understanding, making the whole process easier. As someone who likes to write, I can tell you that it's harder to come up with a new idea than to build off another.

What's a really hard thing to accomplish is to have an idea very similar to another, but to make it completely unique. In this movie however, the main character could just as easily have been Dracula or one of the three little pigs, there's nothing requiring Frank to be here. It's just stealing a character to place in a situation. It's basically like taking Indiana Jones and saying "hmm, now I want him in the year 2340 as an electrician..."

I meant more in terms of, I'm personally more impressed when someone makes something entertaining and unique using materials that have been utilized so much as to become outdated or cliche, but that is not to say genuine innovation is undesirable or deserving of praise.

I just love "underdog" concepts, concepts that sound utterly crazy working in spite of it. Hey, it can happen sometimes. Like, um, a modern-day adventure serial about a teacher with a bullwhip fighting Nazis. That's a fairly silly-sounding concept too. My point is, I try to give movies like this a little bit of benefit of the doubt. You never know what will work.