Star Wars Prequel Trilogy

Katarn07

Finn said:
Anyone else seen "Plan 9 from Outer Space" by Ed Wood? This flick is offically considered the worst movie ever made. However, it's so bad a movie you almost start considering it a parody and goes over the line, then you like it just for the heck of it.

That movie's for real?! I thought it was just a madeup movie written for Seinfeld. It's the movie they're going to see when they're waiting in the Chinese Restraunt and then later the one Kramer spills his hot coffee and starts that big law suit.

On topic, I still have high hopes for Ep III in terms of atmosphere. I've seen some pics and even some videos that have leaked outta the Hyperspace section of their website (you gotta pay to get in even if you subscribe to the magazine :rolleyes: ) and they look great. I saw pictures of Mon Mothma (a minor character from Return of the Jedi) and she looks great. I've seen a picture of Tarkin (the Grand Moff from A New Hope) and he looks great. There's a Mon Calamari (a species in Return of the Jedi. I think this is the first time they're in the prequels! I could be wrong about that though....) and I even saw a very low res video clip of Ewan and Hayden sparring in tee shirts. Looked sweet :cool:

Gobi-1

I absolutley love the prequels. They're just as good as the original films IMO. I'd even ranked them above the Indy films.

Katarn07

The title for the last installment was announced today:

Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

I like it. Lots of folks think it's just another dumb prequel name but I think it fits the mood. It's also a nod to the original trilogy's last installment, Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

I think this movie is going to be spectacular. If the romance is not present or at least better written than AotC, it'll be just as good (hopefully better) than the originals.

Finn

Staff member
Katarn07 said:
I like it. Lots of folks think it's just another dumb prequel name but I think it fits the mood. It's also a nod to the original trilogy's last installment, Star Wars: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.
Yeah, as we know, the original Ep VI title was supposed to be <i>Revenge of the Jedi</i>.

Katarn07

Actually it was never intended to be that but one of those things Lucas did to ensure no one realized Anakin would be redeemed. He is the the Jedi that is returning afterall. Also, why would a Jedi seek revenge?

I also read in an interview with Mark Hamill that David Prowse said 'No, Obi-Wan killed your father' instead of 'No, I am your father' to ensure the plot point didn't leak out before the movie came out.

The Wookie homeworld (Kashyyyk) is going to be in it I hear. I suppose that's where we'll see Chewbacca.

Gobi-1

The fan club section of Starwars.com posted 42 peices of Kashyyyk artwork and it is simply stunning.

Rick5150

Finn says:
Anyone else seen "Plan 9 from Outer Space" by Ed Wood? This flick is offically considered the worst movie ever made. However, it's so bad a movie you almost start considering it a parody and goes over the line, then you like it just for the heck of it.
I bought this movie on DVD about two years ago and printed out a detailed list of all the bloopers and when they occurred. Then I sat back with a whisky and followed along. Hysterical. My favorite part is that Bela Lugosi really died during filming and they replaced his character with a stand-in who bore no resemblance to him whatsoever. To hide the fact, he holds a cape over his face for the remainder of his scenes. Well, that and the fantastic dialog. For example, "Visits? That would indicate visitors!" Funniest serious movie I ever saw.

Katarn07

Renderking Fisk said:

Can't link stuff to 'Hyperspace' which I subscribed to reluctantly to get my hands on some exclusive figure. You also get the Insider magazine (which I've subscribed to for the past seven years) so I suppose all I really did was renew. I saw the pics and they're simply stunning. I am thinking of ending my membership after RotS is released.

I know where to find a bunch of pics so if anyone's interested, just send me a PM. I'm not hosting the images either so I'm not doing anything illegal.

intergamer

Star Wars Prequels: The Single Most Important Flaw

George Lucas was notorious in the original trilogy for going against all the better knowledge of everybody working on the movie, and ferociously, continuously forcing the actors to Speak Faster, Speak Faster, deliver the lines faster. It made all the cheesy dialogue seem to work, seem to make sense, and added to the immersion. George Lucas seems to have lost his fire though. Listen to the prequels, listen to the dialogue in RotS. It would all work if it was spoken very quickly, over-the-top quickly, as in the original trilogy. Every single character talks like a steamboat out of gas, even Anakin (compare to Luke). A line from epIII like "I'm worried about you, they think you're under too much stress"; it's extremely lame is spoken slowly, pompously, but makes sense if its delivered at conversational, or faster-than-conversational speed. Why do you think we bought cheese like "But I wanted to go to Taschi station and pick up some power converters!". We bought pounds and pounds of that cheese.

Faster = More Natural
Lucas used to be obsessive about this, what happened?

The only character who should speak dramatically is Palpatine (and he does, and it's the only natural-sounding acting in the movie)

Last edited:

IAdventurer01

Wow... I think you may be on to something. I never noticed that before, :confused:

So, we should watch the prequels on DVD on slowest fast forward to accellerate the sound? :rolleyes:

Jay R. Zay

i don't think this is the point. ;) PAL is, in fact, only 25FPS : 24FPS faster than cinema film. which is a fraction of 1/25th of a second. this probably doesn't change so much.

intergamer

You can't just speed up the movie, because the battles are too fast; the jedi are too good with the lightsabers, the blades don't seem to have any real weight to them.

Jay R. Zay

intergamer said:
It's OK Junior-Jones, they don't have sarcasm in Germany.

Jay R. Zay said:

the rest of this is an explanation why, whether a joke or not, PAL has almost nothing to do with acceleration. and as probably video formats are not common knowledge AND there is no connection to reality about this "sarcasm", it probably isn't very suitable for a joke, wouldn't you agree? perhaps you could just reduce your superiority and omniscience to a level that a german could bear. thank you for your contribution to international understanding.

intergamer

Jay R. Zay said:
perhaps you could just reduce your superiority and omniscience to a level that a german could bear. thank you for your contribution to international understanding.

No problem. Try not to invade Belgium before I finish talking here. Ready?

The humor to me came from the fact that it is apparent that watching the movies in PAL won't do anything because they're really at the same speed.

There. What? You conquered France already? You silly Germans!

Jay R. Zay

intergamer said:
The humor to me came from the fact that it is apparent that watching the movies in PAL won't do anything because they're really at the same speed.

but they aren't at the same speed. could it be you who is poorly informed or who sees a joke in anything he doesn't fully understand? or is this a joke, too, that my non-existing german humor doesn't understand?

try to make sure that what you think is a joke actually is a joke and that what you think is a fact actually is a fact. i think this is even more hilarious than jokes about germany. :D

intergamer

Jay R. Zay said:
but they aren't at the same speed. could it be you who is poorly informed or who sees a joke in anything he doesn't fully understand? or is this a joke, too, that my non-existing german humor doesn't understand?

YES... it is...

In conversion, the speed is normally adjusted for the framerate difference (it only plays well at one speed). In all honesty, one can actually tell the distinction. Now, that's far beyond the point - in my post "at the same speed" meant "basically at the same speed", you should have taken that so literally. At any rate, I thought Junior Jones was funny, and the US is home to the greatest comedians of all time, so there you are.