What is your single LEAST favourite scene from the trilogy?

EddyW

Stuff not to like from the original trilogy? You guys are weird... ;) . You know, reading through all these scenes that apparantly a lot of people seem to have problems with, I have to say that although I agree with some of them, I can't help but think "Yes, so they did screw stuff up in the original three, so what? They're all great films". I've come to realize that I tend to have a forgiveness towards the original trilogy, while on the other hand Crystal Skull was one big dissapointment to me for not getting it perfect. Maybe I should give this film another chance, watch it with the same forgiving mindset that I watch the originals with. I bought the DVD just for the extra's, haven't touched the film itself, but maybe I'll pop it in somewhere next week and see what I think of it. Maybe it will turn out there's more to it to enjoy then the first time I saw it.

QBComics

Gotta be the 'Monkey' scene from KOTCS. If that scene didn't exist, then mine would have to be the camp scene from TOD.

I can't stand the scene. It's a full 2 minutes of Willie screaming and a campy Poker game. Just not what I'd want in an Indy film. Unfortunatley, 'The Beards' disagreed with me. :rolleyes:

caats

in ToD when Indy is captured/blood controlled i'm always really bored. especially when Indy is helping keep Willie in the thingy. just draaags

Benraianajones

QBComics said:
Gotta be the 'Monkey' scene from KOTCS. If that scene didn't exist, then mine would have to be the camp scene from TOD.

I can't stand the scene. It's a full 2 minutes of Willie screaming and a campy Poker game. Just not what I'd want in an Indy film. Unfortunatley, 'The Beards' disagreed with me. :rolleyes:

Actually you know the highlght of the camp scene for me is Willie talking about her grandad and shunning the idea of "magic rocks". You learn a bit about Willie there, and we all know later she becomes "a true believer"!

JediJones

The two conversations between Henry and Indy on the blimp and at the end of the motorcycle chase are the absolute worst scenes to me in the original trilogy. This was the most boring, maudlin, melodramatic, unconvincing stuff that had no place in an Indiana Jones film. The writing of the dialogue in these scenes was on the level of a made-for-TV afterschool special. The reference to Indy's mom dying of a hidden illness is pure manipulative tripe and totally unnecessary to the story. And Connery chuckling about ships that pass in the night seems too out of character. That gag about sleeping with Elsa should not have been brought up again in the movie after the first time. It just didn't have enough traction to be worth referencing again. I'm grateful John Williams' father-son theme was replaced in the movie at many points because he managed to write a theme just as treacly and insipid as the dialogue in these scenes. I skip over this theme every time it comes up on the CD soundtrack because it just sounds so much worse than all the other music in the movie. These scenes are just more evidence why Last Crusade is the most accessible, dumbed-down, mass audience-friendly Indiana Jones film without the more wild, imaginative, pulpy inspiration of the other three movies (with the exception of the astonishingly great Young Indy opening sequence).

As for Skull, it definitely does hold up well on repeat viewings. It's terribly unfairly maligned by its detractors. People were just too close-minded to accept that this movie was different in some ways from the previous films. I suppose that was to be expected after Last Crusade dumbed down the series into TV-movie predictability, which is all that most people can handle intellectually. Skull, albeit not flawless (but what Indiana Jones sequel is?) got back to the inspired, outrageous, eye-popping fun of the first two Indy films. Although I'm not crazy about the fridge scene, the vine-swinging scene is wonderful, one of my favorites in the whole movie. It's beautifully shot like a little mini-silent film and is an excellent homage to Tarzan as well as a great parallel for Mutt to Indy's own swinging skills. I admit bringing aliens into the Indy series was hard for me to swallow at first, but after rewatching the movie, I understand why it really was an interesting spin on the Indiana Jones pulp adventure tradition. It was much preferable to repeating another straightforward relic hunt, that's for sure. I wish Lucas had got his way and had the movie more centered around the aliens without shoehorning the more tired relic-hunt for the skull into the middle of the movie.

Benraianajones

JediJones said:
As for Skull, it definitely does hold up well on repeat viewings. It's terribly unfairly maligned by its detractors. People were just too close-minded to accept that this movie was different in some ways from the previous films. I suppose that was to be expected after Last Crusade dumbed down the series into TV-movie predictability, which is all that most people can handle intellectually. Skull, albeit not flawless (but what Indiana Jones sequel is?) got back to the inspired, outrageous, eye-popping fun of the first two Indy films. Although I'm not crazy about the fridge scene, the vine-swinging scene is wonderful, one of my favorites in the whole movie. It's beautifully shot like a little mini-silent film and is an excellent homage to Tarzan as well as a great parallel for Mutt to Indy's own swinging skills. I admit bringing aliens into the Indy series was hard for me to swallow at first, but after rewatching the movie, I understand why it really was an interesting spin on the Indiana Jones pulp adventure tradition. It was much preferable to repeating another straightforward relic hunt, that's for sure. I wish Lucas had got his way and had the movie more centered around the aliens without shoehorning the more tired relic-hunt for the skull into the middle of the movie.

Oh I would have hated the aspect of all out alien ships flying about and figghting, that would have been nothing like Indy. Remember what Indy is bascially about - relic hunting. Not an all out Sci-fi B movie. Had it been, I'd have probably hated it. I expect to see Indy on a "treasure" hunt of sorts.

Anyway, my mum just wacthed Indy 4 on DVD and she said considering 19 years has passed, Indy 4 was a very good movie, and there were parts I tought she'd not get - and she did get it. "There is no way she is going to be able to take all the knowledge they are feeding her" she said as she saw the room rotating and the strange flowing effect going towards Irina. After it all had ended she said, like I say, it was very good, and it whetted her appetite and wants to watch the other movies one at a time in the week to follow.

As for Mutts swinging, as much as I think "leave it out", I do "understand" it. They wanted Mutt in the jungle to have his own "mini-Tarzan/Robin Hood" like adventure.

JediJones

I think confining Indy to "relic-hunting" adventures puts too much of a limitation on the character. I like the idea that he can have different kinds of pulp and B-movie-inspired globe-trotting adventures. But I would prefer to see him get back to more heroic deeds. The second half of Temple of Doom wasn't about hunting a relic, but about rescuing the slave children. In Skull, Indy was reduced to a very defensive posture, basically just saving his own neck or escaping the whole time. Of course it was very similar to Raiders in that respect. But Temple of Doom remains my ideal model for an Indiana Jones film.

Benraianajones

JediJones said:
The second half of Temple of Doom wasn't about hunting a relic, but about rescuing the slave children. In Skull, Indy was reduced to a very defensive posture, basically just saving his own neck or escaping the whole time. Of course it was very similar to Raiders in that respect. But Temple of Doom remains my ideal model for an Indiana Jones film.

Exactly and you just said it right there, especially about TOD. The basic Indy concept was there. The relic being the stones - introduced in a different way to the ark/grail - but still the relic he went after. And, true the second half he spent his time escaping - but stil holding on to the relic to return it. Also, we had the villain die as a result of the relic as Indy enemies do. In Skull, he had a relic he had to return, but the actual skull wasn't really the main prize, it was the throne room it had to be returned to, before the enemy could reach it.

TOD, managed to change the Indy forumla and still follow it. It just diguises it. But just ditching it forumula for the sake of "allowing lots of different pulp adventures" would mean its no longer Indana Jones and just "a guy named Indy put in other people's pulp adventures. Indy has his own ID now, and he collects relics along side pulp-settings. I really don't see how following the popular Indy formula can get tiring - it is what Indy is. Far too many franchises in movie and video games ditch their core idea to evolve and end up as something else. KOTCS and TOD show how the relic hunt idea can be varied and making the franchise itself differ, without ditching the relic idea all together.

An Indy movie where the enemy doesn't die as a result of their greed?!The relic, or something related to it killing the enemy is just as much Indiana Jones as Indy is himself. If I went to see Indy 4, and all I saw was flying saucers and no relic, or archelogy or exploration at all, I'd have simply hated it.

I know some people do see your view though.

Anyway this is off topic. Oops.

Last edited:

Joosse

Let me begin by saying that I love the Temple of Doom. It's great, it's fun and I enjoy it every time.:D

But the sacrifice scene when they first see the temple. The music is great, but it goes on forever...

I just want to jump out and scream "Get on with it!" right into Mola Ram's face...:mad:

Dr.Jonesy

Temple:
Camp Scene
Village Begging ect..:sleep:
Dinner Scene
Whole Indy possesed sequence
Falling out of a plane/over a cliff in a raft. WTF?!

Crusade:
Whole Young Indy thing(n)
Marcus lost in Egypt streets

Skull:
Tarzan/Monkeys :eek:
Rubber Tree into river was embarassing:sick:
3 waterfalls

Driftwoodv.7

Oh man, to all you who don't like the raft / airplane crash sequence: ok, I understand why you don't, but here's why I absolutely love that part.

It's one of the most desperate, unpredictable, and suspenseful moments in any Indy film. Everyone in the shot, especially Indy, seems to be completely pumped with adrenaline from the fear, and they squabble around looking for a way out. On top of this, you have the debris flying everywhere, and especially the music playing, the uber-suspenseful high-pitched drone that just builds the adrenaline. And finally, in the knick of time, they shoot out of the plane before it hits the mountain. Brilliant part for me.

Now, back on topic. My least favorite part of any film, I think, is a lot of Cairo, before and after the nazis sic the bandits on Indy and Marion. It just isn't very compelling for me. Great scene, to be sure, but it just doesn't float my boat. Like when Sallah and Indy are in the fortune-teller's home, aside from "Bad dates," that part is very boring to me.

Bjorn Heimdall said:
I think for me it's the transformation of Indy after drinking the blood in ToD. Even with rich supernatural elements in all movies the whole "drinking blood and becoming bad" thing just never clicked with me.

Got to agree, Temple is full of too much too much. There was a lot that should have been left on the floor. The extended raft sequence, was that the same cliff Goebbler drove off in Raiders? Like the Drops three times...inspired no fear, no excitement...just another note in the song, and a flat one too.

:dead:

The Magic Rat

Rocket Surgeon said:
Got to agree, Temple is full of too much too much. There was a lot that should have been left on the floor. The extended raft sequence, was that the same cliff Goebbler drove off in Raiders? Like the Drops three times...inspired no fear, no excitement...just another note in the song, and a flat one too.

:dead:

That's a good way to put it. It's just when there's that much, nothing stands out and it loses all excitement.

Dr. Gonzo

I would have to say... in Temple, from the time that Indy is captured, possesed, etc to the moment that Short Round burns Jones to wake him up... that bit is just ugly to me.