Lucas Animation - Indy 5 and Beyond ?

Lynx

RONDC20 said:
I also don't think that a theatrical animated Indy movie is a very good idea, but perhaps a Pilot movie for the animated TV series.

As for the time period. I don't want to see Young Indy at all. I want to see the Indy we all know and love. I say start the series of in 1930 and span that decade with adventures taking place before in between and after the classic film trilogy all the way to 1939 and then some episodes in the 40's with Indy in the OSS.

Lynx You have some great ideas there.

Thanks. :hat:

As for starting it in the 1930s, I disagree. While I think the show should definitely go there, I think it'd need to start in the 20s. First of all, the 20s is a great time period, what with the stock market boom and Prohibition. It's also a time that shows a devastated Europe. But, more importantly, it's where Indy became an archeologist and likely met all those aforementioned people. Definitely Abner, Marion and Belloq.

While I don't believe we need to show Young Indy (As it's been dealt with, and in my opinion, was done well), we need to see Indy starting as an archeologist. It's one of my main gripes about Young Indy being canceled; that was all planned. Perhaps the series should start where Young Indy was supposed to end, with him at 24 years old. This way, it puts Indy three years past where Young Indy ended, and skips past a lot of his college years. It's enough time to "morph" Flannery into a young Ford, and lets those people who didn't watch Young Indy not be lost.

blueoakleyz

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HAAAAAAAAAAAATE CGI in any form!
It ruins things and looks worst than guys in costumes with zippers.

It's like Roger Rabbit but unintentionally.

RONDC20

blueoakleyz said:

Honestly I think thats a rather close minded point of view. I'll admit that there lousy CGI out there, but there is also some damn good ones too.

RONDC20

caats said:
I don't want an animated Indy. Harrison is too important

Is this an anti animation comment or just and anti animated Indiana Jones comment?

Either way it's rather ignorant and close minded IMO

blueoakleyz

RONDC20 said:
Honestly I think thats a rather close minded point of view. I'll admit that there lousy CGI out there, but there is also some damn good ones too.

Unless you can't tell it's awful
the brain can easily pick out something that doesn't reflect light naturally like things in the scene

RONDC20

blueoakleyz said:
Unless you can't tell it's awful
the brain can easily pick out something that doesn't reflect light naturally like things in the scene

Umm ok Whatever. So your anti-CGI, thats fine I guess, but there have been times where I have mistook physical effects for CGI effects and vice versa. I think that most CGI out there is passable to excellent.

I just think that being such a cynical person and nitpicking is rather stupid in the long run. Most if not all films today have CGI effects, so you either adapt or hate every single movie out there.

So if your gonna just ***** and complain about how you hate CGI thats just fine, but the rest of us will continue to enjoy movies.

YouNeverKnow

blueoakleyz said:

Relaaaaaaax, guy!

What about Pixar films? Now that's CGI with class. You can't hate that.

Do you guys remember that show Samurai Jack? I'd like something like that. A stripped-down, cheaply (in terms of animation time, not show quality) produced animation style that has those big black outlines absent. I think that show had a lot going for it visually I'd love to see that style return.

vf wing

A Samurai Jack-styled Indy certainly seems a possibility, since the original Clone Wars was definitely in that vein.

However, I think a new Indy tv show is more likely to show up in computer animated form. If you really study the new Clone Wars, you'll see that only the characters are highly stylized. Those spaceship sequences look nearly as real as shots from the so-called live action films. I'd expect a more realistic style for Indy characters anyway.

A new Indy show would likely be structured very similarly to how they did the first one, except with far greater latitude in time periods. They would be unrestricted by the natural aging of actors, so they could go wherever they wanted, and in any order. Several shows were already in the planning stages for the 3rd season of Young Indy that never got filmed, including a tale featuring Belloq IIRC. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if those unused ideas got picked up on.

Another nice aspect to animation is no cost restrictions or dangers presented by high risk stunts. The sky's the limit in terms of rollicking adventure, and I'm sure we'd see booby traps and exotic environments galore! I'm banking on the inclusion of more colorful characters and hopefully a slew of monsters for the kids (us big kids, too!)

A new show would probably retain the educational bent of the old one too, as evidenced by the inclusion of about 100 historical documentaries on the Young Indy tv show DVDs. But that pretty much exalts Lucas IMO, that he would "abuse" his position as the wealthiest and most influential person in entertainment to try to educate people.

I have high hopes this show will come to pass!

YouNeverKnow

Yeah, that freedom of time period I was thinking of as well. I'd love to see story arcs within the show. Such as:

Episodes 1-4: 1933

Episodes 5-6: 1929

Episodes 7-11: 1943

You know, somehow little chunks that form a cohesive story and then they have the leeway to hop to another time. I personally would prefer this to a chronological approach, but I suppose I couldn't complain either way.

sandiegojones

I wouldn't mind a "Clone Wars" like show that had Indy in "The WWII Years". It'd be interesting to see him fight Nazi's or Japs in the time between TLC and KOTCS.

Dewy9

sandiegojones said:
I wouldn't mind a "Clone Wars" like show that had Indy in "The WWII Years". It'd be interesting to see him fight Nazi's or Japs in the time between TLC and KOTCS.

And later seasons set after WWII could include him spying on the Reds.

I know a lot of people are very opposed to the idea, but to me it's no different than comics, novels, and video games. Harrison's not involved in those. It would be important to get a spot on voice actor, though. Some of the ones I've heard sound nothing like him.

DoomsdayFAN

HELL NO!!! No no no no no NO!!!!! N-O!!!!!!!!

They shouldnt rape Indiana Jones with an Animated series or Feature.

I would love to read about Indy's adventures between the films in books. But no Animated BS!

RONDC20

DoomsdayFAN said:
HELL NO!!! No no no no no NO!!!!! N-O!!!!!!!!

They shouldnt rape Indiana Jones with an Animated series or Feature.

I would love to read about Indy's adventures between the films in books. But no Animated BS!

GOD!!! What is it that some of you people have against animation? Seriously! Explain to me this ignorant, naive, close minded and just plain unintelligent view point on animation.

Why would animation rape and destroy Indiana Jones? I just don't get you people. I just really resent this narrow-minded mentality about animation.

I know what you're all probably saying. Your saying that animation is only for kids and that Indiana Jones will be dumbed down and made too kid friendly for us older fans to enjoy.

It does not have to be that way. Animation can be sophisticated and smart and poignant. Animation can be used to tell any number of stories with any type of content. From G rated to R Rated.

I think that if done right an Indiana Jones animated series would be amazing. I think that it could appeal to kids at the same time not alienating us older fans .I think that they could get away with content that would be considered PG or PG-13, but you people don't have the imagination to see it. Your all too intolerant and prejudiced.

Cartoon Network is showing a lot of TV-PG and TV-14 content.

Open your minds people. GEEZ!!!

Deckard

RONDC20 said:
GOD!!! What is it that some of you people have against animation? Seriously! Explain to me this ignorant, naive, close minded and just plain unintelligent view point on animation.

Why would animation rape and destroy Indiana Jones? I just don't get you people. I just really resent this narrow-minded mentality about animation.

I know what you're all probably saying. Your saying that animation is only for kids and that Indiana Jones will be dumbed down and made too kid friendly for us older fans to enjoy.

It does not have to be that way. Animation can be sophisticated and smart and poignant. Animation can be used to tell any number of stories with any type of content. From G rated to R Rated.

I think that if done right an Indiana Jones animated series would be amazing. I think that it could appeal to kids at the same time not alienating us older fans .I think that they could get away with content that would be considered PG or PG-13, but you people don't have the imagination to see it. Your all too intolerant and prejudiced.

Cartoon Network is showing a lot of TV-PG and TV-14 content.

Open your minds people. GEEZ!!!

It won't be done right. Its Lucas. We already know that, we gave him enough chances. Where have you been for the last 4 SW films he butchered?

Were not "intolerant and prejudiced" twoard animation. Just twoards ANYTHING Lucas gets his money grubbing ewok paws on. That man cannot retire soon enough.

Indy is a person not an animated character. Stop being so greedy, we have 3 awesome movies, I don't need that legacy ruined by some crap cartoon where they alter history so no one on Cartoon Network gets offended by Nazis.

See, Im a pilot so Im not very forgiving bcuz if a pilot makes a mistake people can die. Now I was a Hardcore Star Wars fan as a 14 yr old in the 90s, I even spent a years allowance on vintage SW figures b4 he POTF2 stuff came out around 95. I have given Lucas 5 chances now to do something good with Star Wars again. Episode 1-3, the Clone Wars movie and the Clone Wars cartoons. 6 actually bcuz we had that other clone wars series. All failed miserably to live up to the pop icon mammoths the original were. And don't try to give me some **** like theyre just movies, they were iconic, the 501st has thousands of kids who dress up like stormtroopers, they live that crap. Listen to Nasa guys who designed real **** we use now, they got ideas from these films like Star Wars. The originals had huge lasting impacts and now its been reduced to a joke. So Lucas had 6 chances and failed each time. Hes done.

If you had a girlfriend and she hooked up with your best friend. Then you gave her another chance and you found out she did it again, and again, and again, and again with all your friends, how many times are you going to forgive her??? At a certain point, you just look like an ass hole.

Sure Lucas made good movies, 30 years ago. Now he has no talent. It's ok to say no to him. He isn't God. It's ok to tell him to stop. Its ok to tell him we don't like him anymore. It's ok to disagree with Lucas. I know some of you fanboys don' believe it, but try it, it might lead to things like going outside and talking to girls.

Last edited:

RONDC20

Deckard said:
It won't be done right. Its Lucas. We already know that, we gave him enough chances. Where have you been for the last 4 SW films he butchered?

Were not "intolerant and prejudiced" twoard animation. Just twoards ANYTHING Lucas gets his money grubbing ewok paws on. That man cannot retire soon enough.

Indy is a person not an animated character. Stop being so greedy, we have 3 awesome movies, I don't need that legacy ruined by some crap cartoon where they alter history so no one on Cartoon Network gets offended by Nazis.

See, Im a pilot so Im not very forgiving bcuz if a pilot makes a mistake people can die. Now I was a Hardcore Star Wars fan as a 14 yr old in the 90s, I even spent a years allowance on vintage SW figures b4 he POTF2 stuff came out around 95. I have given Lucas 5 chances now to do something good with Star Wars again. Episode 1-3, the Clone Wars movie and the Clone Wars cartoons. 6 actually bcuz we had that other clone wars series. All failed miserably to live up to the pop icon mammoths the original were. And don't try to give me some **** like theyre just movies, they were iconic, the 501st has thousands of kids who dress up like stormtroopers, they live that crap. Listen to Nasa guys who designed real **** we use now, they got ideas from these films like Star Wars. The originals had huge lasting impacts and now its been reduced to a joke. So Lucas had 6 chances and failed each time. Hes done.

If you had a girlfriend and she hooked up with your best friend. Then you gave her another chance and you found out she did it again, and again, and again, and again with all your friends, how many times are you going to forgive her??? At a certain point, you just look like an ass hole.

Sure Lucas made good movies, 30 years ago. Now he has no talent. It's ok to say no to him. He isn't God. It's ok to tell him to stop. Its ok to tell him we don't like him anymore. It's ok to disagree with Lucas. I know some of you fanboys don' believe it, but try it, it might lead to things like going outside and talking to girls.

Ok I'll admit that you make some great points here, but the fact is that I still believe that an Indiana Jones animated series could be really cool. I'm not a big George Lucas either and I do totally agree that he has totally lost his talent, but I've adapted. Sure the prequels are utter crap when you compare them to the classic trilogy, but I've adapted, sort of shifted my expectations.

When I went to go see the Clone Wars animated movie I was not disappointed. Why? Because I knew exactly what to expect and in fact it ended up being a little better than I thought it was going to be. She show itself is pretty good too. I'm enjoying it. The 2D Clone Wars cartoon was great IMO.

I'll admit that I used to put a lot of pressure on Star Wars. Back when episode 1 came out and I walked out of the theater I was in denial. I did not want to believe that the movie sucked, but as time went on I accepted it and eventually learned to like it for what it was. It was the same with Ep 2 and 3.

I simply let go of my high expectations.

Now with Indiana Jones it's different. I think I'm a bit more of an Indy fan than I am a Star Wars fan. I liked KOTCS Sue me.

I believe in an Indiana Jones animated series. I believe that It could be great despite George Lucas. Call me crazy or naive, but there you have it. I also think that they could get away with having Nazis and swastikas on the show.

I resent the fact that you call me greedy because I want an Indy animated series.

Deckard

RONDC20 said:
Ok I'll admit that you make some great points here, but the fact is that I still believe that an Indiana Jones animated series could be really cool. I'm not a big George Lucas either and I do totally agree that he has totally lost his talent, but I've adapted. Sure the prequels are utter crap when you compare them to the classic trilogy, but I've adapted, sort of shifted my expectations.

When I went to go see the Clone Wars animated movie I was not disappointed. Why? Because I knew exactly what to expect and in fact it ended up being a little better than I thought it was going to be. She show itself is pretty good too. I'm enjoying it. The 2D Clone Wars cartoon was great IMO.

I'll admit that I used to put a lot of pressure on Star Wars. Back when episode 1 came out and I walked out of the theater I was in denial. I did not want to believe that the movie sucked, but as time went on I accepted it and eventually learned to like it for what it was. It was the same with Ep 2 and 3.

I simply let go of my high expectations.

Now with Indiana Jones it's different. I think I'm a bit more of an Indy fan than I am a Star Wars fan. I liked KOTCS Sue me.

I believe in an Indiana Jones animated series. I believe that It could be great despite George Lucas. Call me crazy or naive, but there you have it. I also think that they could get away with having Nazis and swastikas on the show.

I resent the fact that you call me greedy because I want an Indy animated series.

Not because people want it, that doesn't make them greedy, just bcuz they want it at any cost. Maybe not you in particular, but there were people hoping for an Indy 5 so we'd get more Hasbro figures. That kind of stuff is the wrong reason.

Vendetta08

Lao_Che said:
I said in one of the other threads I'd like to see a TV series as a better Jackie Chan Adventures.

I can't see an animated Indiana Jones working well as CGI compared to traditional 2D cel animation but I also can't see Lucas finding the latter of any interest to give such a version the go ahead.

creamdog_06.jpg

And I do believe this should be animated. ;) Any cartoon Nazis might give some people (networks) issues though.

Hell yes! That would be awesome. I'd love to see an animated Indy animated series in that style.

The only thing is...how would the format work? Having each episode have a different mcguffin would get really old really quick.

vf wing

I believe we would see multi-episode story arcs. It would help give more of a sense of continuity from week to week and allow for fewer MacGuffins. I also think they would get away from the MacGuffins altogether for some arcs, since WWII and Indy's already established service to his country would call for different types of storylines.