General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Sharkey

moon_tan said:
When Lucas and Spielberg do get ready to make Indiana Jones 5, that will keep Kennedy's mouth shut. She can go back to making Jello pudding for the kids.
Kernunnos said:
Superb news, Moedred! (y)

Kathleen Kennedy, know your place, woman! :gun:

Off your meds guys? Let's compare.

Kennedy co-founded, was president of, and ran Amblin Entertainment. She formed The Kennedy/Marshall Company, a film-production company with a deal at Sony Pictures. She is also a Governor on the Board of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The list goes on, but I don't want to make you slackjawed troglodytes think too much, you're ears are already bleeding.

So what have you done?

Now go drag your knuckles away from the keyboard and chew on some more paintchips.

Indy's brother

Well, between Ford and Kennedy, one of them is floating rubber doo-doo out of Hong Kong. It seems that there is some angling going on in the press. Us pleebs down here can speculate, but the truth is, we don't really know anything. The first half of Ford's latest quote is more specific than normal, and is impossible to ignore. It doesn't really do anything to promote his latest film, so why break from his what he's been saying for 3 years and say it? In light of what Ford said, Kennedy's comments don't seem to do much other than steer the conversation away from an as-of-yet non-existant film to bring attention to her latest production. Let's keep in mind, it's not like either of these two will get arrested for perjury if they stretch the truth to suit their agendas. So there's that.

All we can do is wait it out. Well, that and poke each other with sharp sticks over it.

Darth Vile

Udvarnoky said:
I think you're probably right as far as the story's final "iteration" was concerned, but didn't it take a good ten years worth of concessions to even get there? Taking the breadth of Indy4's development into account, it's hard for me not to see what happened in 2003 as the ultimate act of ground-ceding from either of the Beards. After ten years of development hell, Spielberg and Ford had a script that they were happy about, Lucas flat-out vetoed it, and the reset button was hit. That Spielberg had more influence than Lucas on the scripts that ended up evolving into the final product is probably accurate, but how much of the director's heart was in the whole enterprise at that juncture? I think there was a point where Spielberg's fire for the project burned out, if indeed it was ever alight in the first place, and that was fatal.

Nice to see you back Udvarnoky... :)

I agree with your comments. I'm not sure that Spielberg was even making the movie for the right reasons. As mentioned before, when anyone says 'this is for the fans' it rings a little hollow. The best way to make the fans happy is to make the best movie you can and in the way you want to make it. I obviously like the movie for what it is, but recognise that Spielberg wasn't firing on all cylinders - for whatever reason (probably for the reason that, as a director, he's out grown 'Indiana Jones' type action movies).

Kernunnos

Sharkey said:
Off your meds guys? Let's compare.

Kennedy co-founded, was president of, and ran Amblin Entertainment. She formed The Kennedy/Marshall Company, a film-production company with a deal at Sony Pictures. She is also a Governor on the Board of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

The list goes on, but I don't want to make you slackjawed troglodytes think too much, you're ears are already bleeding.

So what have you done?

Now go drag your knuckles away from the keyboard and chew on some more paintchips.

I take 2 sugars please, my darling. :cool:

moon_tan

Violet said:
"Breastplate'? Are we talking about Xena? I love that show...

Um, excuse me, fellas, but there are ladies present on this board. If you want to say what you want to say about Kennedy fine, but don't turn it into a generalisation about women and these statements might be offending to some women. Is that all women are good for? Jello pudding? Yet, she's produced some good movies. And after seeing the trailers for Tin-Tin, I'm inclined to see this movie. It's looking pretty good.

And in any case, at least she gave an answer based on what she knows. A lot better than the same old 'I don't know' or "germ of an idea" story that you guys constantly complaining about hearing. She says one thing you didn't want to hear and you complain. Now, imagine if someone like George or Steven or even Harrison... I'd be curious to see what would your reactions be then.
I apologize, Violet. It's just what Kennedy said, upset me. All that we have been hearing is Lucas was writing a script and if all three men can agree on the story, they would do it. Harrison Ford has been the utmost positive about doing Indiana Jones 5. Too bad Harrison Ford is not allowed to write a few pages himself.

QBComics

To be honest, I still believe what Kathleen said at the moment. She's only been working with Spielberg forever, and is continuing to work on his future movies. Spielberg is still going to shoot Lincoln next year. That might not even come out until late 2012-2013. That being said, that would mean Indy (I'm assuming they'd shoot for a summer date) would come out in 2013 at the earliest, maybe even later than that.

Until I hear confirmation, I won't believe a thing.

moon_tan

QBComics said:
To be honest, I still believe what Kathleen said at the moment. She's only been working with Spielberg forever, and is continuing to work on his future movies. Spielberg is still going to shoot Lincoln next year. That might not even come out until late 2012-2013. That being said, that would mean Indy (I'm assuming they'd shoot for a summer date) would come out in 2013 at the earliest, maybe even later than that.

Until I hear confirmation, I won't believe a thing.
I read Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Field start filming "Lincoln" this Autumn 2011 for a 2012 release. I have not heard of a delay in filming.

moon_tan

Let's not get too crazy with Harrison Ford accepting a role in the movie about "Wyatt Earp". Sounds like to me the script is not finished on that project either. So would Lucas like to rush Harrison Ford into doing Indiana Jones 5 before Wyatt Earp or after? Which script is going to get done first?

QBComics

moon_tan said:
I read Daniel Day Lewis and Sally Field start filming "Lincoln" this Autumn 2011 for a 2012 release. I have not heard of a delay in filming.

Hmm, either way that would mean the script would have to be done sometime this winter or next spring so shooting could happen once Lincoln is finished, because they'd still want a summer release date.

Dr. Gonzo

moon_tan said:
Which script is going to get done first?
With 100% assurance I can tell you that the "Wyatt Earp" script will be finished first.

On another note, you guys got official words from Kennedy who is basically just 1 circle outside the George Steven Harrison trifecta. In fact it should be the big five, not the big three (adding Marshall and Kennedy to the group of people who get the Jones films off the ground). As of right now she is saying (from a producers stand point) there is no Indiana Jones 5. Does that kill the project completely? No. George could tinker around with ideas, then send those ideas out to the others and see if it works for them. But as it stands she told us the truth of what she knows. There is nothing in development. And I'll stand by that. Hell, I basically already knew it.

I saw Cowboys and Aliens yesterday. Though Harrison gives a really great performance he is looking really old. His face and neck are going the way of the dodo. From a stunt stand point all he did was ride a horse, shoot his gun, shoot a gun while riding his horse and impale an alien from his horse with a spear. That's it. I don't think Harrison can make another Indiana Jones film. At least not the kind I'd want to see him in. Maybe if they were to film it right now, then sure, maybe. but they're not filming now and they won't be (if ever) for a very long time. I don't want to see Harrison in costume just for the sake of seeing him in costume, grumbling, saying a witty line or two, one bull whip swing and were done. That's not my idea of an Indiana Jones film. If that's what you guys want then... I don't know.

For me the suspension of disbelief would be gone. I've said it before but, I think it would be best if we "let it go".

Montana Smith

Dr. Gonzo said:
I saw Cowboys and Aliens yesterday. Though Harrison gives a really great performance he is looking really old. His face and neck are going the way of the dodo. From a stunt stand point all he did was ride a horse, shoot his gun, shoot a gun while riding his horse and impale an alien from his horse with a spear. That's it. I don't think Harrison can make another Indiana Jones film. At least not the kind I'd want to see him in. Maybe if they were to film it right now, then sure, maybe. but they're not filming now and they won't be (if ever) for a very long time. I don't want to see Harrison in costume just for the sake of seeing him in costume, grumbling, saying a witty line or two, one bull whip swing and were done. That's not my idea of an Indiana Jones film. If that's what you guys want then... I don't know.

For me the suspension of disbelief would be gone. I've said it before but, I think it would be best if we "let it go".

I just watched Gran Torino. It's sad to see your heroes grown old, regardless of the steel in their eyes.

Indy 5 would have to be a major change of direction from the past adventures in order for the man in the hat to still remain a dominant force.

Udvarnoky

I really think Ford's age could be used to an advantage given the right story. I think it would be interesting if thematically Indy5 was about Indy coming to terms with his mortality. The problem with this approach is that they kind of matured him too well in Indy4. At the start of the movie he's already a wise old man, which is I guess is how it has to work when you give him a twenty year old sidekick to play off of. I wish he would have retained a wee bit more of his arrogance and his tendency to make the wrong call, and then Indy5 could have been the movie where he truly grows up and comes to grips with his age. As it is, it feels like he already wised up to all that prior to the events of Crystal Skull. It was a character arc we didn't get to witness.

Still, I think Lucas and a (good) screenwriter could make a 70 year old Indy work, and I don't think you'd have to abandon the fisticuffs.

Udvarnoky said:
Still, I think Lucas and a (good) screenwriter could make a 70 year old Indy work, and I don't think you'd have to abandon the fisticuffs.
I agree and I think a great ruse would be for him to act the feeble old man for an advantage in a fight.

"Don't have time to play with you junior..."

Forbidden Eye

Dr. Gonzo said:

That's disappointing to hear. I was hoping he would do a couple of stunts that would make people say, "He's still in great shape to do another Indiana Jones film".

At this point I'm just glad Indy 4 got made(yeah I still enjoy it). Why can't we just work with father time to have made Indy 4 in the 90s? :(

Well this franchise will live on forever regardless. I would like to see Indy 5, but I can live on with just the four films.

Indy's brother

Dr. Gonzo said:
With 100% assurance I can tell you that the "Wyatt Earp" script will be finished first.

Really. How on earth can you predict the future. Sorry man but that's just hyperbole.

Dr. Gonzo said:

It depends on what you expect out of this franchise. If what you want is some ass-kicking 30-year old action hero, you're right. If you want to see this character arc complete itself (now that the arc has started anew with KOTCS) while Harrison is still alive, and perfectly physically able to make another run at it.....why not? The reboot/recast dream of some fans can be realized at ANY time. I'm interested in seeing how to do a believable action film with Ford while he's still alive, and I agree with Udvarnoky about using Indy's advancing years as a foothold rather than a stumbling block. I fear the cliche "I'm getting to old for this crap" angle, but I think after the pasting KOTCS got in the press, Spielberg would be wise enough to keep it classy, make up for KOTCS's shortcomings, and put this series to bed. Personally, I would rather it be a second trilogy, separate from the OT; that would make the modern Indy easier to swallow. But I'll gladly take only one if that's all that GL, SS, and HF have to offer us. It can't end on KOTCS, though. That would be worse than no Indy 5.

With a little creativity, (and an absurd amount of hope) they could bookend this series with another ROTLA. There's not a hell of a lot in Raiders that our current Ford couldn't pull off today. It's just a matter of execution. That's my biggest fear. There were a ton of potentially great moments in KOTCS where it felt like they held back. All we can do is hope, and as a fan, I am willing to give them a chance.

1/4th of a franchise isn't enough to flatline this thing.

It can be done. Tastefully. I want to see them try.

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

Indy's brother said:
Really. How on earth can you predict the future. Sorry man but that's just hyperbole.
I see what you're saying. Call it hyperbole if you must but here are the differences between the two projects:

Black Hats is a novel, so there is source material. A screenwriter has been hired based on the treatment/pitch and is at the moment writing the screenplay.

Indiana Jones 5 is in George Lucas' court and is supposedly a germ of an idea. The big three haven't even agreed on the concept. There really isn't even a concept yet because it's a "germ of an idea". No treatment. No outline. No Writer.

I didn't say the Black Hats film would get made first. I said the screenplay for Black Hats will be finished first. Two very different things. Screenplays can sometimes float around for decades. Black Hats could live in development hell forever and Indiana Jones 5 could come to full fruition, you know? I stand by what I said. A script for Black Hats will be finished before an Indiana Jones 5 script. I'd bet my house on it. The writer is in the process of writing it right now. Hyperbole? Maybe. But not really.

Last edited:

Indy's brother

Dr. Gonzo said:
I didn't say the Black Hats film would get made first. I said the screenplay for Black Hats will be finished first.

And I didn't say that you were implying this. I'm just saying that you (or I, or anyone else) have no real knowledge of what will happen first. How much of Indy 5 is written? I don't know. And neither do you. Only a select few do, and they don't post here. Black Hats is something that Ford is committed to: fine. But I guarantee that he is more committed to Indy 5. Neither film has any details that are available to us, so why bother comparing them? What do we really know about their progress? Nothing. So I will call it hyperbole. Not trying to be offensive, Dr., just rational.

Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

Indy's brother said:
How much of Indy 5 is written? I don't know. And neither do you. Only a select few do, and they don't post here.

Well, almost. When a screenwriter is hired it goes through the studio channels and it comes out through the tracking boards then through other insider sites, then the Hollywood Reporter and other sites like Slash Film and AICN. So in a sense we know that there is no screenwriter. What we don't know is what stage before "screenplay" it is at. So you are mostly right about "we don't know what stage its at". But we do know it is not at the screenplay stage... unless George is working on a secret draft which is highly unlikely (not impossible) because he has always hired writers to turn his Indy treatments into screenplays. George could very well be writing a treatment now that Red Tails is over and that's good news.(y)

Indy's brother said:
Not trying to be offensive, Dr., just rational.
No offense is taken. And I hope none was taken by you in any sense. Being a "doctor" (not really) I just don't want to give false hope to people out there. I want them to have a true diagnosis of the situation. If they can do it right now I'm all for another go at an Indiana Jones movie. Despite pointing out a lot of the negatives, I'm all for it, as long as its soon... as in NOW! :hat:

Last edited:

Stoo

Mungi said:
If they really shut down the whole thing, then why keeps Harrison Ford saying how much he wants another one and that he still thinks they have the chance do a very good one? They would have had a few words with him, I'm sure about that.
How sure are you?:confused:
The Man said:
Spielberg has no interest. He hasn't spoken enthusiastically about the subject in three years. He's barely spoken about it at all.

The director isn't keen...
It's good to know that 'The Man' has special insight into Spielberg's brain.:rolleyes: Please, The Man, tell us what Steven wants to have for breakfast tomorrow morning.
Indy's brother said:
What do we really know about their progress? Nothing.
Yes, Indy's brother, "nothing" is known...Yet this thread has 4960 posts!:eek: