Uncharted: The Games

Morning Bell

Man, I can't even fathom getting to level 80. Heck, I've been at 52 for two months!

I really need to find time to play more.:D

Le Saboteur

Morning Bell said:
Man, I can't even fathom getting to level 80. Heck, I've been at 52 for two months!

I really need to find time to play more.:D

Heck, that's better than Level Zero! And I have the time - and plenty of it it - but I lack the will! :(

uncharted-2-sneaky.jpg

Before I leave town again, remember that the new episode of "The Lab" will be up and playable the weekend of July 23. Grenades only. Boom.

But more importantly, the empirical evidence for Uncharted 3 is mounting. Naughty Dog is looking for a game designer, and some of the criteria they're looking for is

-Experience playing 3rd person action games;
-Experience of developing third-person action games a bonus;
-Responsible for the planning, level layout, setup and tuning of single-player levels, from high concept to object placement and scripting;
-Responsible for designing and producing engaging and fun third-person action gameplay and levels.

It's not a "definite" indicator, but the evidence is mounting.

Stay tuned.

Aux armes, Citoyens!

Le Saboteur

39118_475894824114_53882709114_6498404_5144822_n.jpg

Official? Fanmade? This just surfaced on the Uncharted 2 Facebook page. The switch to a roman numeral-like '3' is an interesting choice, and seems to indicated a return to a jungle environment.

I'm voting fanmade.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The fact that, as you say, the coloration seems to suggest a return to a jungle environment puts at least one point in a "not a fake" column. After all, someone trying to pull one over would likely go along with the Amundsen rumor, and portray something a little more ice-oriented.

Edited to add: the text actually looks a little amateurish. It's almost identical to the one from Uncharted 2, but with some slight variants (presumably) added to make it look like a non-exact duplicate. And that line...eh.

Now this is how you do a fake logo:

Uncharted3_Logo.jpg

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
The fact that, as you say, the coloration seems to suggest a return to a jungle environment puts at least one point in a "not a fake" column.

Which would make sense, except that it flies in the face of everything ND has stated about Uncharted not being pigeonholed as "that jungle game." In short, it's too soon to return to the jungle before the desert and/or an ocean environment is explored.

Atilla the Professor said:
Edited to add: the text actually looks a little amateurish. It's almost identical to the one from Uncharted 2, but with some slight variants (presumably) added to make it look like a non-exact duplicate. And that line...eh.

Turns out it is a fanmade logo. ND shot it down on their Twitter feed. I guess we'll all have to go back to keeping our fingers crossed.

Atilla the Professor said:

Herr Ng has done some impressive work on his conceptual pieces. They're a little too linear, but it's great work; his logo, as you mentioned, is top notch. I really wish ND would drop the numerical addition, though. Given the self-contained story of each game, Among Thieves isn't a sequel, and the numeric appellation is inappropriate.

uncharted3-640.jpg

In other news, Title Update 1.09 is set go live tomorrow, the 28th at 1000 PDT! This time around, the update includes

* Changes made to multiplayer character skin system to allow for voices to be included with future skins
* Made changes to character game mechanics to prevent players from using exploits
* Fixed ability for players to ?super throw? the treasure in Plunder matches
* Cash awarded per kill in Elimination has been increased to $750 per kill
* Enabled the ability for Naughty Dog to easily alter the amount of cash earned for individual Medals on a playlist or gametype basis and per-kill

In conjunction with this update, ND will also be issuing a LiveData update that will rescale cash awards for Objective games only. Medals for individual and kill-based medals will be decreased, and objected-based medals will be increased as follows:

* Tip Off ? $1,000
* Captured ? $4,000
* That?s Embarrassing ? $10,000
* Protectorate ? $2,000
* No Cigar ? $2,000
* Drop It ? $1,000
* None Shall Pass ? $5,000
* Expansionist ? $5,000

uncharted6-640.jpg

Le Saboteur

Naughty Dog has uploaded their complete game design panel from PAX East. Check it out if you have an hour or so on your hands!

Le Saboteur

Just a couple of notes this time. First up, the movie!

If you haven't already heard, it seems that the Uncharted producers and David Russell have parted ways. According to the Los Angeles Times, the two parties were unable to come to terms so they're parting company. Instead of continuing to attempt to fill the director's chair, the production team may attempt to focus on casting the two leads. As of now, production remains in limbo.

No Uncharted in 2011? I can't say I'm particularly upset. Your thoughts?

uncharted-2-among-thieves-playstation-3-ps3-071.jpg

Still paying attention? Good. For all you budding/aspiring/whatever game designers, Gamasutra published a new feature a couple days back on Among Thieve's workflow process. Following Part I's deeper look at combat design, Part II breaks it down into a step-by-step process. Check it out here!

uncharted-2.jpg

Playstation University recently posted the first part of their four part interview with Naughty Dog's main PR guy, Arne Meyer. Go ahead and read it over here.

The Lab is live for August too. Read about it here.

Le Saboteur

uncharted-2-among-thieves-20090318093700391_640w.jpg

Well, I'm disappointed. I had hoped that somebody would post this potentially juicy bit of news in my absence. It's worth mentioning, too!

Emily Rose (aka Elena Fisher) landed in the City of Angels last week, and tweeted that she'd be doing work on Uncharted. Speculation abounded on the possibility that she'd be working on part three, only to be later shot down by an official Sony rep. The rep did go on to say that "[Emily] will be working with Naughty Dog on some DLC content."

Thus far, the DLC that has been released didn't require new voice work and/or animation. Did Ms. Rose let something unintentionally slip and Sony is attempting to create plausible deniability? Or is this another largely forgettable piece of DLC in the works? A new motion comic? It could be any number of things, but does anybody want to lay odds on a DLC bridge between Among Thieves and the third outing or Uncharted 3 itself?

Stay tuned!

blurb_uncharted2confirmed.jpg

Ska

Le Saboteur said:
Or is this another largely forgettable piece of DLC in the works? A new motion comic? It could be any number of things, but does anybody want to lay odds on a DLC bridge between Among Thieves and the third outing or Uncharted 3 itself?

Keeping my fingers crossed for single player DLC.

I let a coworker borrow my Uncharted 1 & 2. He's now hooked like I am. He finished 1 in a few days and just started 2. I'd love to play through 1 again, but life doesn't allow me to replay games very often. I'm lucky to play through them once.

Le Saboteur

5033703724_3fd04c1589_z.jpg

Ska said:
Keeping my fingers crossed for single player DLC.

Well, would you settle for a Game of the Year Edition? Announced today by Naughty Dog (and picked up by all the major industry outlets), Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Game of the Year Edition will be released on October 12, 2010! No new levels appear to be included, but there will be a pack-in "super voucher" that allows you to download over $35-bucks worth of downloadable content, a lot of which was previously only available pre-launch at various cons.

Dig:

* PlayStation Heroes Skin Pack
* UNCHARTED: Drake?s Fortune Multiplayer Pack
* UNCHARTED 2 Siege Expansion Pack
* Currency Multiplier which grants Double XP up to level 10 in Multiplayer
* Golden Guns option for the AK-47 and the 92FS ? 9mm pistol for use in Multiplayer
* Early access to ?Revenge? Booster ? you still have to purchase it with in-game cash!
* UNCHARTED: Eye of Indra - Motion Comic Bundle (which includes Episodes 1-4)
* UNCHARTED: Eye of Indra - Rika Raja and Daniel Pinkerton Character Skins
* UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves - Avatar Pack 1
* UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves - Avatar Pack 2
* UNCHARTED Avatar Pack 3
* UNCHARTED Avatar Pack 4
* Pinball Heroes ? UNCHARTED for the PSP

Full details of what each dlc-pack can be found on the announcement page, and through the previous pages of this thread.

Nothing here is indicative of needing new voice work, but Naughty Dog isn't ready to reveal everything that they're doing to celebrate Among Thieves' one year anniversary! Check back here, or at Naughty Dog's site in the coming weeks to see what else they have in store.

Ska said:
I let a coworker borrow my Uncharted 1 & 2. He's now hooked like I am. He finished 1 in a few days and just started 2. I'd love to play through 1 again, but life doesn't allow me to replay games very often. I'm lucky to play through them once.

Good on you! We can always use another convert. Unfortunately, I have plenty of free time these days; and I've played through them both three times now. I'm playing them both concurrently on Crushing at the moment -- that is, in between all the other games I own and neglect.

4898828966_486fcb6a63_b.jpg

Notice the golden 9mm on the Heist Chloe Skin

Before we sign off though, a couple of other interesting tidbits are floating around the 'net regarding the world of Uncharted. First up, if you're a fan of Mod Nation Racers, go download Nathan Drake and his kart! Check out the video below for in-game footage and for the rather awesome track they designed around the island from Drake's Fortune! Oh, and did I mention Sully and his Kart?! Go, go, go!!

Finally, a few days ago Naughty Dog co-president Christophe Balestra opened up about what they though about Sony's Move. "Maybe in the future," he said. Right now, it?s kind of difficult because we?re so focused on the next thing. It would be too late for us to start thinking about that. Move certainly has potential.?

Evan Wells added: "I was probably the biggest naysayer when I heard about the Wii, this is just going to be flash in the pan. What is Nintendo thinking? But I?ve eaten my hat. And I think that there are some really great and exciting experiences that you can create. So, I definitely think the Move has a lot of potential."

"But I think if we were going to tackle a game that supported Move, we would want to do it from the ground up. We?re too far along into what we?re working on next to really do it justice."

The "too far along" comment is what stands out to me. It's obvious that a few graphical tweaks would/could/need to be made to the Among Thieves engine, but nothing significant. Is the two-year time frame, however, enough of a window to build upon the success of Among Thieves?

Oh, and in nearly one-calendar year, Uncharted 2 has sold 3.8-million units worldwide! Not bad for an exclusive.

michael

For those that haven't bought the game, that might be one of the most enticing "Game of the Year" offers, ever.

Bring some new blood in!

On to another note....

I still play this game's multiplayer regularly...would anybody like to play some time?

Get a Raven party going? Play some Plunder, or maybe some Co-Op. Shoot me a pm! We can rock the [INDY] tag or what have you.

Morning Bell

michael said:
For those that haven't bought the game, that might be one of the most enticing "Game of the Year" offers, ever.

Bring some new blood in!

On to another note....

I still play this game's multiplayer regularly...would anybody like to play some time?

Get a Raven party going? Play some Plunder, or maybe some Co-Op. Shoot me a pm! We can rock the [INDY] tag or what have you.

I still play when I get a chance and it would be cool to have some games with other Raveners. The online portion is still fun after all this time and it's one of the few games I still play on a regular basis.

The Drifter

I've been hearing rumors that Uncharted 3 may have to do with Atlantis. I have no sources as I have been reading this on various message boards.
Take it with a grain of salt, but who knows?

Le Saboteur

Lonsome_Drifter said:
I've been hearing rumors that Uncharted 3 may have to do with Atlantis. I have no sources as I have been reading this on various message boards.

Pardon me for being blunt, but Atlantis is just about the worst concept for an action-adventure game/movie/whatever ever. Too many people mention it because they're unable or unwilling to spend five minutes thinking outside of conventional knowledge. Same goes for Excalibur. Fortunately for us, Amy Hennig & Co. have (thus far) stayed very far away from conventional Macguffins, and we're all the better for it.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
But, there is some inkling that Naughty Dog may reveal Uncharted 3 at the Spike Video game Awards next month.

It's definitely possible. Few things are as big as Uncharted, and those franchises have already been well represented over the past year of so. Could it be something else? I suppose Rockstar and Sony could finally be announcing Agent, but we'll see. There's some speculation that it could be the reinvention of Warhawk. Could be the third Resistance game too.

A few more links for perusal.

Uncharted 3 to Feature in Edge Mag?

Exclusive PS3 Reveal the day after Spike VGAs

What is Sony's Exclusive PS3 Reveal?

Finn said:
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/...-nathan-drake/

Just going to leave this here. Checking out the flames & ruins later.

As you can see, nobody really cares. They should, but it seems to go with the prevailing attitude around here -- nobody cares about the genre aside from those times it's Indy related.

And while I'm not keen on Marky Mark taking on the role of Nathan Drake (the complete emasculation of Max Payne not withstanding), I find this to be wa-ay too early to be considered official/permanent/greenlit. David O. Russell still needs to bang out the idea; Sony/Naughty Dog still needs to sign off on the project; and only then is casting supposed to commence. Things could drastically change between then and now, and I wouldn't be surprised if Uncharted remains mired in development hell.

It's not a great idea, but neither is Nathan Fillion.

In other, more verifiable news, Uncharted is going to appear in book format sometime in the Fall of 2011.

It'll be an original non-canon story (whatever that means) penned by Christopher Golden, whose claim to fame appears to be a handful of Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer novels. Which I suppose qualifies one to take on the world of Uncharted...

Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth will see Drake on pursuing Daedalus's legendary labyrinth across Crete, and into a secret crypt in the heart of China!

Read the official press release here.

Oh, and anybody that says "The idea he has is just insane" as Marky Mark has mentioned, means you should immediately tune out. The "idea" is probably complete 'ish. Which is what this sounds like.

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
As you can see, nobody really cares.
Or it's just the wrong board for what I supposedly was aiming for. Which means I'm proud of you guys.