Red Tails

DazDaMan

As I'm a big aviation buff (and have actually sat in two of the planes used in Last Crusade), this project makes my mouth water...

"Red Tails"

God, and a decent director willing, this could be the aviation equivalent to Saving Private Ryan...

The Man

DazDaMan said:
As I'm a big aviation buff (and have actually sat in two of the planes used in Last Crusade), this project makes my mouth water...

"Red Tails"

God, and a decent director willing, this could be the aviation equivalent to Saving Private Ryan...

So this is definitely due late next year?

Heard about this last night.

The question is.... will it have CGI Gophers? A Gungan or two perhaps?

Ugh. I don't need to see Lucas' take on black history. I'll pass.

Stoo

O.K. I don't understand. Wasn't he already involved in a film version of this? ("The Tuskagee Airmen" starring Malcolm Jamal Warner.)
DazDaMan said:
Lucky you! Where are the planes?

Lucas has been trying to get this made for 25 years. There's no need for it now. The Tuskegee Airmen film came out with Laurence Fishburn. What's Lucas going to show that has already been seen other than a bunch of CGI dogfights and gophers? Lucas needs to retire.

Maybe Lucas should do the movie about the alleged flag raising Iwo Jima black soldiers that Spike Lee wanted to see in Eastwood's film. :D

The Man

Agent Spalko said:
Maybe Lucas should do the movie about the alleged flag raising Iwo Jima black soldiers that Spike Lee wanted to see in Eastwood's film. :D

Didn't Ol' Clint tell Spike to shut his face?(y)

DarthMickey

Didn't Ol' Clint tell Spike to shut his face?

Oh yeah and for once spike knew what was good for himself.So he shut up.

Spike Lee is nothing more than a racist! :mad: He really should never run his big fat mouth ever, but especially about someone with as much class as Clint Eastwood.

Back to the Movie-Red tails! Been there done that.Lucas should go to the beach for a few years! many years! :hat:

DazDaMan

Stoo said:
O.K. I don't understand. Wasn't he already involved in a film version of this? ("The Tuskagee Airmen" starring Malcolm Jamal Warner.)
Lucky you! Where are the planes?

The original Tuskegee Airmen film was made by HBO back in the mid-90s (1995 I think) - Lucas wasn't involved, but a good number of well-known black actors appeared (Larry Fishburne, Cuba Gooding Jr, to name but a few). Low budget job, obviously, but a decent stab at telling the story.

The planes were at a museum called The Blue Max Museum, at a place called Booker in Buckinghamshire. Basically, this was a museum that housed planes from various films - they had an airworthy Spitfire from the movie Battle of Britain among the exhibits! (This was later stripped down and rebuilt to its original 1941 condition - it flew after rebuild at the end of last year).

The biplane in which Indy and Henry escape is a Stampe SV4B, and usually looks something like this:

doopi.jpg

(note, this is NOT the actual aircraft)
There was a dummy gun turret fitted to the rear cockpit, as well as the obvious fake rudder - these used to be on display alongside it. The plane was also used in the filming of WW1 flick Aces High and The Mummy, I think.

The Pilatus P2, which masqueraded as a Messerschmitt 109, was G-BLKZ, and this I believe was involved in an incident just a couple of weeks ago, where it force-landed in a field. The initial damage meant a repairable, if somewhat long-term rebuild, but sadly some local teens decided the best thing to do would be set fire to it!!!. If it is the same aircraft, I imagine it may well be scrapped, given the nature of the damage.

pilatus.jpg

(note, this is NOT the actual aircraft, but it is one used in the film)

Stoo

DazDaMan said:
The planes were at a museum called The Blue Max Museum, at a place called Booker in Buckinghamshire. Basically, this was a museum that housed planes from various films - they had an airworthy Spitfire from the movie Battle of Britain among the exhibits! (This was later stripped down and rebuilt to its original 1941 condition - it flew after rebuild at the end of last year).
Thanks for the clarification on the HBO film. I remember hearing that Lucas had the project in line and
(since I've never seen it) always thought that was the result. I'm looking forward to seeing this "Red Tails"!

Perhaps that Spitfire is part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight?
DazDaMan said:
was also used in the filming of WW1 flick Aces High and The Mummy, I think.
"Aces High"(y) I recently rented "Von Richtofen and Brown" which was quite good and there are
2 new Red Baron movies. "Der Baron Rote" and "The Red Baron"(?)

DazDaMan said:
The Pilatus P2, which masqueraded as a Messerschmitt 109, was G-BLKZ, and this I believe was involved in an incident just a couple of weeks ago, where it force-landed in a field.
I just saw in "The Complete Making of..." book that the amphib in "Raiders" crashed at the end of the shoot!:eek:

On a side note, I guess you are one of the few that appreciate M.Caiden's "Sky Pirates"?
One of my friends, has a YAK-52 and the paint job makes it look a bit like a Japanese Zero.
He likes to practice aerobatics and it is such a RUSH!

Thanks for great info on the Indy film planes!:hat:

DazDaMan

Stoo said:
Thanks for the clarification on the HBO film. I remember hearing that Lucas had the project in line and
(since I've never seen it) always thought that was the result. I'm looking forward to seeing this "Red Tails"!

Perhaps that Spitfire is part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight?
"Aces High"(y) I recently rented "Von Richtofen and Brown" which was quite good and there are
2 new Red Baron movies. "Der Baron Rote" and "The Red Baron"(?)

I just saw in "The Complete Making of..." book that the amphib in "Raiders" crashed at the end of the shoot!:eek:

On a side note, I guess you are one of the few that appreciate M.Caiden's "Sky Pirates"?
One of my friends, has a YAK-52 and the paint job makes it look a bit like a Japanese Zero.
He likes to practice aerobatics and it is such a RUSH!

Thanks for great info on the Indy film planes!:hat:

The Spitfire isn't part of the BBMF, but they do have a Mk.II Spit that DID take part in the actual Battle! The Mk.I was built in 1941, thus too late to have taken part (and had been overtaken by newer variants such as the Mk.II and V series anyway.)

Here she is, seen after repainting in her original colour scheme.
dinoar213apr2008.jpg

This is how I first saw her at the Blue Max Museum, in authentic 1940 Battle of Britain markings, but still fitted out with later-style propeller assembly, exhaust pipes, windscreen/canopy etc that would have been fitted to her prior to filming Battle of Britain..
AR213_PR_D_001.jpg

I've never seen Von Richthofen and Brown, although the father of someone I know on one of the aviation forums did work on it. Something tells me he was either killed in the shoot of that film, or another. I can't recall off the top of my head, but it was one of the films shot in the wake of The Blue Max, as there were a number of replica Fokkers and S.E.5a replicas left over from shooting the film.

As for the two Red Baron films, I *think* they're one and the same - a German company made a film last year (released earlier this year) which was distributed in both German and English. YouTube has clips of it, with some pretty astonishing CGI used.

Never seen Sky Pirates, but a Jap-painted Yak wouldn't be unusual! There's an RAF-painted one flying around in the UK, and at least a couple of US-painted ones, too.

This has given me an idea for a new film thread....!

Jonesy9906753

Any new news on this film? i can't seem to recall what George's whole role in the movie is,did he come up with the story?