Drawings I did a long time ago

Canyon

Apologies to those of you who have seen these already.

Ages ago, I posted these drawings that I did on
The Raven before it went down, and since then,
all of the old threads in this section are no longer
here, so I'm reposting these again. ;)

Raiders%20drawing.1.jpg

Raiders%20drawing.2.NEW.jpg

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
Just out of curiosity, what's too complex in adding IMG and /IMG in tags before and after the link you posted? ;)

HovitosKing

Canyon, never saw the drawings on the previous board, thanks for posting them again. Great work, I like them very much.

Issard

ehhh...

You need a lot of work to become anywhere near what I would call "good". I would not be doing you any favors by lying and saying I thought they looked great, honesty, as always, is the best policy. My advice, stop drawing what you think you see, and draw what you see. Look at Indy's lips in that last pic, for instance. There is only one reason that they dont look like Harrison Ford's lips. You weren't looking closely enough at their actual shape, you were drawing what you thought 'lips' looked like. I.E., two almond shapes. Same with the eyes, nose, ears, ect. You didn't draw Indy's eyes, you drew eyes. If you had been looking at the photo closely, and studying the lines and shapes, we would be looking at a picture of Harrison instead of some guy dressed in Indy's clothes. :) Remember, that is only if you want a literal interpretation of your subject matter, ala Drew Struzan, Richard Amsel, Rockwell, Leyendecker, Remington, ect. Going in a different, more abstract, interpretive direction is fine, if that was/is your goal, but to draw a faithful likeness is extremely difficult for the beginner. Another piece of advice, do not think that you need to begin drawing with the human face. You shouldn't, actually. Start doing some still lifes, draw everything in your house, using the above advice. Don't draw what you think a cup looks like, slow down, look at the cup in front of you, and draw those shapes. Because, guess what, when you learn to train your eye to recognize simple shapes in something as common as a cup, you can then apply that same principle to the human face, and the light bulb will come on and you will realize that you can draw anything!

Canyon

Izzard, I appreciate your honestly, but I feel that you are being very harsh about my drawings.

I actually started drawing Indy over 10 years ago and feel that I am have been called a beginner.

I may not be Drew Struzan, but I don't feel that my artwork is as bad as you are making it out to be. ;)