John Hurt's role?

No Ticket

commontone said:
Yeah, they did use matte paintings in the Indy movies...but there were many times they could have understandably used them, but didn't. The lack of foreign travel for this movie might suggest that there are many times they could have understandably used mattes, and did.

Then again, principal photography ended, but they might still be doing second unit stuff. If all it takes for them to get some great establishing shots is to put three guys with a Panavision setup on a plane, they probably will.

Didn't somebody (one of the actors in the film) say that Spielberg was going to do stuff in "layer" or something like that. Using real footage but layering it on top of each other to fool you like a matte painting would I guess?

But yeah, matte paintings. To be honest, digital look as good to me (if not better) than the old style. I can understand wanting to use them, but it's not really all that different.

commontone

No Ticket said:
Didn't somebody (one of the actors in the film) say that Spielberg was going to do stuff in "layer" or something like that. Using real footage but layering it on top of each other to fool you like a matte painting would I guess?

Yeah, John Hurt said that. I think I might know what he means. We know there were huge blue screens behind the pyramid set; perhaps they shot some scenic jungle footage in Hawaii (or Mexico, if the rumor they sent people down there is true).

Then, they're going to layer that actual, photographed footage onto the blue screen behind the pyramid. Maybe that's what Hurt meant by "it's not pure CGI." Meaning, they didn't digitally dream up the matte backgrounds, they're layering real shots on top of each other. That's my best guess...

Finn

Staff member
Heh, I can already see the outbreak in here if we happen to get a little footage that's too clearly greenscreen/CGI in Indy IV, yet none of us seems to mind the way-too-obvious trique imagery that's in the LC plane chase for example...

commontone

Finn said:
Heh, I can already see the outbreak in here if we happen to get a little footage that's too clearly greenscreen/CGI in Indy IV, yet none of us seems to mind the way-too-obvious trique imagery that's in the LC plane chase for example...

Yeah, but that was pretty much the best they could do back then. But nowadays, if they're gonna use bluescreen computer imagery, it's totally possible for it to look absolutely real and perfect. As long as they're taking that road I think we have the right to expect something great given today's standards.

There was some stunning CGI in War of the Worlds (though I was lukewarm toward the movie itself). Spielberg will do it right, I believe.

Finn

Staff member
commontone said:
Yeah, but that was pretty much the best they could do back then. But nowadays, if they're gonna use bluescreen computer imagery, it's totally possible for it to look absolutely real and perfect. As long as they're taking that road I think we have the right to expect something great given today's standards.
Agree, though even if it's not like this, it'll be a minor hindrance at best if the movie's story and actor performances are there in level with the others.

TheLastCrusader

commontone said:
There was some stunning CGI in War of the Worlds (though I was lukewarm toward the movie itself). Spielberg will do it right, I believe.
Hell, there's stunning CGI in Jurassic park and that film is nearly 15 years old. Bad CGI - and special effects overall for that matter - in a Spielberg film is simply impossible.

Sankara

Hurt is to young to play Abner. He is the same age like Ford. Abner was a kind of Father Figure so he must be OLDER. I guess, hope and pray that Hurt is playing Ox.

metalinvader

Sankara said:
Hurt is to young to play Abner. He is the same age like Ford. Abner was a kind of Father Figure so he must be OLDER. I guess, hope and pray that Hurt is playing Ox.

Hey,It's Hollywood,Anything can happen.Connery was only 12 years older then Harrison,Still a bit young to be his father.

metalinvader

Sankara said:
And it worked very well in "Last Crusade". But Hurt is only two years older. He is to young.

It worked perfect in LC.
But in regards to Hurt,With enough make up they can make anyone look old or young as you really need.Plus Ford looks younger then he is..Bah,All this speculation when maybe he just is playing 'Ox'.:p

tnswman

Sankara said:
And it worked very well in "Last Crusade". But Hurt is only two years older. He is to young.

Ok...Do you really go into a movie thinking this? Can you not IMAGINE that the person is Older or younger? You do know they are PRETENDING to be these people right? I would wager that if Harrison can pretend to be an adventure seeker, he could pretend to be younger. The same Goes for John Hurt.

PLEASE tell me how the actors real age HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEIR AGE IN THE MOVIE??? It's not like Hurt looks younger than Harry.

John Hurt's character in "Hellboy" has just come to my mind.
Yes, Hurt is only two years older than Ford... but I think with the correct make-up they can make him look almost ninety years old, exactely as he looked in "Hellboy". They can use a fake white beard, they can dress him like a really ancient man, they can even use those elastic gum masks to make his skin look heavily wrinkled... I think his age is definitely not the problem.

Wilhelm

In an interview with a spanish magazine John Hurt says that his character will be like the native from "Treasure island": Ben Gunn.

I will try to translate his answer (Sorry for my english):

"I can't speak about Indy 4, they have forbidden me. Do you know "Treasure island?" Well, I will be like a native in the style of the character who stays in the island of Stevenson. This kind of action movie doesn't interest me and maybe this movie will not be one of my favourites, but it was fun to do."

Last edited:

deckard24

metalinvader said:
It worked perfect in LC.
But in regards to Hurt,With enough make up they can make anyone look old or young as you really need.Plus Ford looks younger then he is..Bah,All this speculation when maybe he just is playing 'Ox'.:p

Hurt is a pretty craggy looking 67 year old man, and imo gives off the impression of being in his 70's. Metalinvader you're absolutely right, with a little makeup they can add on a few years to him easy. As for Ford, imo he looks a good 10 years younger than Hurt before the makeup. If Ford's hair had been dyed, this argument would most likely not be happening. Ford's silvery white head of hair ages him considerably, and makes him look closer to Hurt in age!

Adamwankenobi

Wilhelm said:
In an interview with a spanish magazine John Hurt says that his character will be like the native from "Treasure island": Ben Gunn.

I will try to translate his answer (Sorry for my english):

"I can't speak about Indy 4, they have forbidden me. Do you know "Treasure island?" Well, I will be like a native in the style of the character who stays in the island of Stevenson. This kind of action movie doesn't interest me and maybe this movie will not be one of my favourites, but it was fun to do."

Albert Schweitzer? :p

commontone

Geeze, it's starting to sound like the whole concept of the Indiana Jones films just doesn't really interest Hurt. Thankfully, he's the only one of the main actors who seems to feel that way.

He's basically like "Eh, it was fun I guess, but probably won't be one of my favorites." I wonder how many other actors would like to punch Hurt in the face after reading that? :p

effin

definitively based on sweitzer myth/story. could be abner ruling the tribe with the crystal skull etc.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
In April we're getting an action figure called Dovchenko.
Maybe an homage to this filmmaker who died in 1956?

(Though I think he'll play some kind of physicist. When I plug the name into Amazon I get book titles like Properties of Optical and Laser-Related Materials, Nonlinear Optical Crystals, and Optics of Femtosecond Laser Pulses, which reference a D. N. Dovchenko.)

sarah navarro

Moedred said:
In April we're getting an action figure called Dovchenko.
Maybe an homage to this filmmaker who died in 1956?

(Though I think he'll play some kind of physicist. When I plug the name into Amazon I get book titles like Properties of Optical and Laser-Related Materials, Nonlinear Optical Crystals, and Optics of Femtosecond Laser Pulses, which reference a D. N. Dovchenko.)
Hmmm i would of ecpected that Dovchenko was a Russian played by Divoff or something.Good thinking though:)