Rotten Tomatoes tomatometer

eshine

82% positive reviews from a lot of folks who know how to enjoy a good popcorn flick - and silly negetive reviews from cynics who use words like "implausible" when describing an Indiana Jones movie (LOL)

And Karen Allens return as Marion is simply getting RAVES!

Lastly, there isn't a SINGLE negetive thing I have read about this film that sounds like it could even compare to the horror that was Kate Kapshaw in Temple ;)

I could NOT be more excited!!!!

Who's with me?

Borbarad

err..82% with still many people left to review the film and I don't find 6/10 a good rating for a movie. Anything above 7 is a good movie by Rottentomatoes standards.

eshine

For a film that critics are ready to destroy, 6/10 is just fine by todays cynical standards.

I've read just about every review out so far - and the irony of the negetivity is that while complaining about the films "plausibility" and Ford's age - the reviewers simply sound crotchety.

This isn't just fanboy wishfull thinking - the proof is in the pudding. The good reviews are exceeding my expectations and the bad reviews sound joyless.

And as a HUGE Marion Ravenwood fan, I could not be more filled with joy reading so many flat out raves about Karen Allen's performance.

Above all else, Roger Ebert gave it a resounding two thumbs way up.

Nuff said.

Thursday could not come any sooner.:D

Skipper

The only criticism I've read that somewhat concerns me is the idea that the big action sequence at the end will go on for too long. Normally I don't like long action sequences, but then again, Spielberg does a good job of letting the audience actually see what's going on.

What Truck?

I find it funny...

...That negative reviews complain of both excessive action and tiresome exposition. Sorry boys, can't have it both ways - either there is too much talking or too much action (a laughable criticism for an Indy film).

Additionally, this nonsense about lack of character development and the absense of peril in the action sequences is grasping at straws. These aspects have not been present in an Indy movie since Raiders.

The majority of negatives appear to be Raiders fans first, Indy fans second, and as Roger Ebert says, there simply is no talking to such individuals.

drwynn

My wife and I just returned from seeing the 4pm showing at the Paramount lot! And, despite what I would call (in my eyes) minor flaws...the film is excellent!

I'm definitely going to see it a few more times this week...but, I can proudly and honestly say that...I'VE SEEN IT!

Borbarad

And many of the "positive" reviews put the movie at 3.5/5 stars, which is a 7/10. The bell curve is somewhat like, 6-8 people at 4/5 or higher, 6-8 2/5 or lower, and the rest at 3.5.

What Truck?

Regarding Numerical Values

I always thought that a point/star system is an ineffective approach to rating movies, or much else in life for that matter. Never stop at point values; rather, absorb what the written review says.

I find that many reviews labeled as negative have an overall positive tone, and some positive reviews have harsh criticisms above and beyond those found in the negative. Either way, KOTCS is shaping up to be fine entry into the Indiana Jones franchise.

Here's hoping for Indy V!

Marty Jones

I think (and this is just me spit-balling here) that if the very same film had been released directly following Last Crusade the reviews would be even more possitive than they already are. Expectations build over a 19-year gap. I'm going into the theater Wednesday night expecting to see another Indiana Jones adventure - not the best movie ever made or a film that will eclipse its predecessors.

For the most part, I think the critics have taken this film the way I'm going to. Maybe they learned a thing from Phantom Menace days. :whip:

Borbarad

HebrewsThought said:
95% of major newspapers rate movies out of FOUR STARS.

FOUR, PEOPLE!

Then RT must not have updated those major newspaper ratings seeing as how the movie is not even getting a 7/10.

eshine

Borbarad said:
Then RT must not have updated those major newspaper ratings seeing as how the movie is not even getting a 7/10.
It's as if you are hoping for a bad experience :confused:

The film has already been overwhelmingly well received.

Darth Vile

Some people will try any argument to justify their negativity... These people are clearly grasping at straws. We've been hearing for weeks now how this movie will suck because of Ford's age, Lucas' track record, CGI or use of aliens in the plot... but the reviews are mostly positive... and whilst I don't hold by anyone's opinion but my own, it's obvious that KOTCS detractors (not naming any names) CAN NOT use the reviews thus far as a credible validation of their "Indy is doomed" argument...

Borbarad said:
err..82% with still many people left to review the film and I don't find 6/10 a good rating for a movie. Anything above 7 is a good movie by Rottentomatoes standards.

Hey genius...82% happens to be 8/10.

I have a feeling you won't be finding a cure for cancer anytime soon.

MolaRam2

What Truck? said:
...That negative reviews complain of both excessive action and tiresome exposition. Sorry boys, can't have it both ways - either there is too much talking or too much action (a laughable criticism for an Indy film).

Additionally, this nonsense about lack of character development and the absense of peril in the action sequences is grasping at straws. These aspects have not been present in an Indy movie since Raiders.

The majority of negatives appear to be Raiders fans first, Indy fans second, and as Roger Ebert says, there simply is no talking to such individuals.

Temple of Doom had plenty of peril in the action scenes. The bridge scene and the spike room scene are great examples, they are just as good or better with putting Indy in peril as anything in Raiders.

Borbarad

eshine said:
It's as if you are hoping for a bad experience :confused:

The film has already been overwhelmingly well received.

Not at all, I'm hoping I enjoy the film, but with these reviews, at least with me they are an indication whether I will enjoy the movie or not. :whip: