General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Rivers

Indy in the fridge would be ridiculous even when he was 40. That had absolutely nothing to do with his age, it was the gag itself.

Darth Vile

Rivers said:
Indy in the fridge would be ridiculous even when he was 40. That had absolutely nothing to do with his age, it was the gag itself.

I think that's the point i.e. it's not worth shying away from ridiculous situations because there ain't nothing more ridiculous than a 70 year old man trying to be an ass kicking action hero (I'm over emphasising the point of course because I still love Ford as Indy).

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rivers said:
Okay... I understand that but remember, Indy jumped out of a plane with a life raft at age 36.

Yeah, but it would have been a little more audacious than it was (and, believe me, it's definitely an audacious stunt) were he fifty-eight.

No comment either way...

...but this was interesting:

A 64-year-old stuntman who worked on James Bond, Indiana Jones and Superman films, has successfully recreated a "Death Wish Horror Jump" that nearly killed him 26 years ago.

Tuesday night, Rocky Taylor jumped from a blazing platform at London's Battersea Power Station. As onlookers, friends and curiosity seekers watched, Taylor landed safely on a pile of cardboard boxes.

In 1985, Taylor was not so lucky. He broke his pelvis and was almost killed while performing the stunt for the film Death Wish 3, starring Charles Bronson. He leapt through the flames from a building fire knowing there was nothing to cushion his floor and landed on concrete.

Tuesday's stunt is one of several Taylor is performing to raise awareness for the organization Remember A Charity In Your Will.

His successful stunt is a proof that where there is a will there is a way.

...where there is a will there is a way.:)

OK so I had a comment

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
...but this was interesting:

...where there is a will there is a way.:)

OK so I had a comment

He leapt through the flames from a building fire knowing there was nothing to cushion his floor and landed on concrete.

And I thought only Indy would do something so reckless!

Where there are cardboard boxes, there is a way!

Dr.Sartorius

replican't said:
The greatness of Harrison Ford in the first 3 films is he is just about believable as Indiana Jones. He has the athleticism and maturity to pull of those crazy antics in a 'oh god, not again' kind of way that requires just the right amount of suspension of disbelief. A forty year old is not past it when it comes to action. Look at Daniel Craig as Bond.

On the other hand, a sixty something, even seventy year old Indiana Jones is just plain nonsense. In 'real life', the man would be dead or long since retired and fit for the knackers yard. Just like James Bond. Look at Roger Moore in 'View To A Kill' and Connery in 'Never Say Never Again'. Christ, they were not even 55 when they made those films, and they appear antiquated and ridiculous. Same with Ford in Indy 4. Indy 5 would be beyond stupid.

Indiana Jones & The Fridge Too Far, anyone?

Moore was 57 when he filmed A View to a Kill, 58 when it was released.

Henry W Jones

replican't said:
The greatness of Harrison Ford in the first 3 films is he is just about believable as Indiana Jones. He has the athleticism and maturity to pull of those crazy antics in a 'oh god, not again' kind of way that requires just the right amount of suspension of disbelief. A forty year old is not past it when it comes to action. Look at Daniel Craig as Bond.

On the other hand, a sixty something, even seventy year old Indiana Jones is just plain nonsense. In 'real life', the man would be dead or long since retired and fit for the knackers yard. Just like James Bond. Look at Roger Moore in 'View To A Kill' and Connery in 'Never Say Never Again'. Christ, they were not even 55 when they made those films, and they appear antiquated and ridiculous. Same with Ford in Indy 4. Indy 5 would be beyond stupid.

Indiana Jones & The Fridge Too Far, anyone?

There were tons on ridiculous moments in KOTCS but they don't reflect age. Mutt swings through trees with monkeys. Does it look any more real because he is young? I feel if Harrison can still pull off the stunts and the movie is written well his age should not be an issue. But in the wait that moment could easily pass. I think it could be pulled off and also well done if they get on it soon and invest some thought into the story.
"In real life"? We are talking about Indiana Jones right? In real life Dr. Jones would have probably died in the first three movies jumping out of planes with rafts and dragging behind speeding trucks. In real life people don't rip other hearts out with bare hands and if they do the heartless person doesn't stay alive. So realism isn't much of a factor in Indys world sometimes.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Henry W Jones said:
There were tons on ridiculous moments in KOTCS but they don't reflect age. Mutt swings through trees with monkeys. Does it look any more real because he is young? I feel if Harrison can still pull off the stunts and the movie is written well his age should not be an issue. But in the wait that moment could easily pass. I think it could be pulled off and also well done if they get on it soon and invest some thought into the story.
"In real life"? We are talking about Indiana Jones right? In real life Dr. Jones would have probably died in the first three movies jumping out of planes with rafts and dragging behind speeding trucks. In real life people don't rip other hearts out with bare hands and if they do the heartless person doesn't stay alive. So realism isn't much of a factor in Indys world sometimes.

I refer to the earlier post below... Of course the Mutt vine swing is ridiculous, but they'd already set the tone of the movie before they ever shot a scene i.e. by bringing back Ford.

Darth Vile said:
I think that's the point i.e. it's not worth shying away from ridiculous situations because there ain't nothing more ridiculous than a 70 year old man trying to be an ass kicking action hero (I'm over emphasising the point of course because I still love Ford as Indy).

Henry W Jones said:

Realism is actually a pretty huge factor in these things - if you dont get that tightrope of reality vs disbelief just right, your audience will not follow you across the leap of faith that is film. Look - nobody is arguing that Raiders is true to life, or that somebody attempting any of the stunts, let alone all of them, that Indy goes through would come out alive, but the crucial thing is that in those first three films, Spielberg and Ford worked so damn hard to take the viewers on the ride of their life, they actually pulled off that magic realism trick. Ford was good looking, athletic, could handle himself and had a winning weariness and sense of 'oh ****, what have I got myself into' to go with the toughness. He was perfect as the leading man in a boys own adventure.

Fast forward to a 65 year old jumping beams in a warehouse and beating a massive Russian guy up and its so totally ridiculous that any goodwill the audience may have invested in going along with the story is totally evaporated and you just think "yeah, right, whatever....".

If they do make Indy 5, Ford will be so old it will be absolutely impossible to suspend disbelief long enough to go along with major action setpieces. Unless they were to massively reign that superherostyle action in, and slow Indy down considerably, I can't see how Lucas and Spielberg could produce anything other than a complete farce.

Montana Smith

The key to realism, as Tolkien described it somewhere, is to maintain an internal logic. A set of rules which become familiar to the audience.

TOD expanded on the rules set by ROTLA. KOTCS blew them into oblivion. It's the excesses taken by #4 which don't bode well for #5. Harrison's age compounds the issue.

Henry W Jones

replican't said:
Realism is actually a pretty huge factor in these things - if you dont get that tightrope of reality vs disbelief just right, your audience will not follow you across the leap of faith that is film. Look - nobody is arguing that Raiders is true to life, or that somebody attempting any of the stunts, let alone all of them, that Indy goes through would come out alive, but the crucial thing is that in those first three films, Spielberg and Ford worked so damn hard to take the viewers on the ride of their life, they actually pulled off that magic realism trick. Ford was good looking, athletic, could handle himself and had a winning weariness and sense of 'oh ****, what have I got myself into' to go with the toughness. He was perfect as the leading man in a boys own adventure.

Fast forward to a 65 year old jumping beams in a warehouse and beating a massive Russian guy up and its so totally ridiculous that any goodwill the audience may have invested in going along with the story is totally evaporated and you just think "yeah, right, whatever....".

If they do make Indy 5, Ford will be so old it will be absolutely impossible to suspend disbelief long enough to go along with major action setpieces. Unless they were to massively reign that superherostyle action in, and slow Indy down considerably, I can't see how Lucas and Spielberg could produce anything other than a complete farce.

After Raiders the series becomes more and more unbelievable with each film. Not at KOTCS.(though it is the most guilty of the four) I understand the balance between realism and over the top but to say that KOTCS is when the series became unrealistic is funny to me. Raiders is the only movie with that balance you speak of. The sequels are fun but ridiculous as far as believability. Also in my opinion Indy strikes me as the type of guy that would keep up going on adventures into his 90's. Interesting story: Two years ago I worked with a Vietnam veteran. He is in his sixties and 5' 6" if he's lucky and wears glasses. One of my co workers 6' 2", twenty-two years old and twice the old guys weight decided to throw snow at him. The old guy warned him to stop but he underestimated him and kept throwing the snow. The old man got feed up took down the larger, younger guy and washed his face in the snow. My point is Harrison is in way better shape than my co worker and sometimes reality is an old man kicking ass so his age doesn't ruin it for me. Cheesy monkey scenes make bad movies not aging actors.

wellofsouls

I'm a newcomer here but I am of the opinion that Indy 5 needs to be taken away from Spielberg/Lucas. I don't know if this is politically feasible - perhaps their names are an integral part of the finances of a project - maybe that actually own some of the intellectual property - but seeing what John Favreau did with Aliens and Cowboys makes me ache to see what he could do with Indy. I'm personally a little bored with Lucas's fascination with the serials of the 50's and Spielberg's recreation of his childhood movie making exploits - just give it to someone who will make a ripping adventure yarn aimed at the same demographic at C & A. Burger King will sell just as many hamburgers with plastic toys, maybe more.

Not trying to get off topic, but I felt the same way about "The Hobbit" - I was really tired of Jackson's skylarking on the story line as LOTR went on and was hoping hard for a different director. But such is not to be.

Sometimes you DON'T have to dance with the one that brung you...

Montana Smith

wellofsouls said:
I'm a newcomer here but I am of the opinion that Indy 5 needs to be taken away from Spielberg/Lucas. I don't know if this is politically feasible - perhaps their names are an integral part of the finances of a project - maybe that actually own some of the intellectual property - but seeing what John Favreau did with Aliens and Cowboys makes me ache to see what he could do with Indy. I'm personally a little bored with Lucas's fascination with the serials of the 50's and Spielberg's recreation of his childhood movie making exploits - just give it to someone who will make a ripping adventure yarn aimed at the same demographic at C & A.

It's not likely that Indy's creators would release him into someone else's hands, even though that prospect would be preferable. Lucas is too hands on for that - and both he and Spielberg are the guiding forces for the character. But where they're guiding him is a matter for much concern.

Rivers

replican't said:

I actually think that was the best part of the movie (Warehouse). I didnt find it that ridiculous at all, I thought it was classic Indy.
And remember Harrison was 65 at the time but Indy was 58

wellofsouls

Rivers said:
I actually think that was the best part of the movie (Warehouse). I didnt find it that ridiculous at all, I thought it was classic Indy.

They could make him smarter yet less active, much in the same way that Connery was. Using his umbrella to scare the seagulls and crash the plane...that sort of thing. Classic old bull/young bull stuff.

But judging from the physical action and the really great, nuanced performance in "Aliens", I don't think there's much he's not capable of in the next few years.

Darth Vile

Rivers said:
I agree - I think the vast majority of Ford's action scenes in KOTCS are no more ridiculous than in the previous movies (sans the fridge perhaps), but I'm not sure that automatically equates to 'realistic'. I think any sense of 'realism' is hindered by the constraints of Ford's age. Having a 'youngish' Ford throwing punches and diving out of windows is less problematic than an 'oldish' Ford (in terms of willing suspension). I think if we'd seen a much younger Ford in KOTCS, those scenes being discussed would be a lot less problematic in terms of believability.

wellofsouls said:
They could make him smarter yet less active, much in the same way that Connery was. Using his umbrella to scare the seagulls and crash the plane...that sort of thing. Classic old bull/young bull stuff.

But judging from the physical action and the really great, nuanced performance in "Aliens", I don't think there's much he's not capable of in the next few years.
That's part of the problem... I think there is still a brilliant Indy movie to be made with Indy basically playing alongside a younger lead (think 'Color of Money', True Grit' or even 'Cowboys & Aliens'. However, many (certainly here) don't seem to relish the thought of Indy playing second fiddle to another character (and probably neither do Lucas/Spielberg and Ford)... So the closest we'll get to that formula, which isn't close at at, is KOTCS.

By the way - I've seen a lot of negative press around 'Cowboys & Aliens' i.e. it's not very good. Not seen it myself yet. Did you enjoy it???