Your Greatest 'Material' Dissapointments

Raiders90

By this I mean:

What movies, video games, albums or books were you eagerly anticipating, perhaps for years at a time, only to be dissapointed heavily?

I'll give you two: Star Wars: Attack of the Clones (2002) and King's Quest: Mask of Eternity (1998)

Indy~Annie

the only thing i was disappointed about was that the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull album case was really thin and looks like it could brake easy.(n)

Katarn07

- Spider-Man 3 was so bad that it tarnished the entire franchise for me....

- Dead Man's Chest was terrible. I've seen it twice and it didn't get better the second time. I can still enjoy the original fortunately but I doubt I'll ever bother with At World's End....

- The Matrix Revolutions kinda sorta ruined the franchise for me. I can watch the original yet, but Reloaded (which I enjoyed) is unwatchable because of the cliffhanger.

- Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast was a huge letdown for me. The gameplay is decent enough I suppose, but the story was just stupid in comparison to Dark Forces and Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. The environments were also a huge departure from the previous games.

- Lion King 2 was a let-down. Good concept, lousy execution. The animation isn't as great of quality as if it had been a theatrical film, and those songs are just horrid.

bonoferox

Superman Returns: The Videogame - Free Flying was fun, but "missions" were repetitive and boring

Spider-Man 3 - Agreed with Katarn

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
- The whole movie was pretty much Disney going "hey, come see the third!". Didn't really have a beginning, middle or ending.

24: Day Six

All I can think of off the top of my head.

Agent Z

Spider-Man 3 was like someone kicked my heart in. I went on opening day at the first screening. The place was packed and everyone was cheering. Then, as the film unfolded into the second half, people just started getting quiet.

When the ridiculous butler confession came out, you could hear the wind totally taken out of the theater. Nobody could believe the absolute joke of a script. The dancing was fine, the emo Parker was alright...but all the lazy coincidences, poor character decisions....it felt like seeing these great people you watched develop through the first two films turn into babbling idiots and existing only to further the plot.

People left the screening with their heads down and their car keys jangling.

two recent letdowns...

KOTCS Soundtrack - Skimpy and, as I revisit the film, missing a ton of great stuff, including Area 51 goodness. I feel ripped off to only be getting half a score. (n)

and the...

KOTCS (Darkhorse Comic) - I told myself that at the very least, I would be getting a nice glossy cover with the film's poster art...and damn if that was all I ended up getting.

Seriously, are these movie adaptations so rushed that the artwork has to suffer as a result?!

bonoferox

I've also got to throw in the Phantom Menace

Even though I now really enjoy the film, it was devastating the first time seeing it in theaters along with the huge crowd. The first time I heard the Neimodians speak with an oriental accent I seriously thought that what I was watching was a joke and that the real movie would be released in a couple of weeks......I was wrong.