Hidalgo

Joe Johnston's best film, based on the legend of the American distance rider Frank Hopkins and his mustang Hidalgo. Here the cowboy is the alien, racing his horse in Arabia in 1891 against Bedouins riding pure-blooded Arabian horses.

aph_9.jpg

This is by far a better "western" than Bad Day at Black Rock...

I had much higher hopes for Captain America based on this film.

If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor.

Goodeknight

Rocket Surgeon said:
This is by far a better "western" than Bad Day at Black Rock...

If you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor.

Agreed. Fantastic film. Viggo Mortensen brings a lot of depth and emotion to the whole film.

I was just comparing and contrasting this with other horsey films like Secretariat and Seabiscuit. Secretariat's at the bottom of the bunch. Poorly executed. You just can't get that into the drama of a millionairess needing to win. Seabiscuit was a much better underdog...underhorse. But Hidalgo beats them both by about 30 lengths.

goodeknight said:
But Hidalgo beats them both by about 30 lengths.
I've seen it a few times, and will watch it many more times, but off the top of my head, I don't think there is a single thing I would change about it.

Viggo has a talent for picking great roles...

Casting was fantastic. There were few names, like Omar Sharif and Malcom McDowell but the supporting cast was excellent.

A film (besides Red Dawn) where I liked C. Thomas Howell!

The Drifter

I seen this about five years ago, but I don't remember much of it. But, I was dead-tired from working a 20-hour shift, and kept nodding off. Funny thing is that I was looking at this at Walmart yesterday, and almost picked it up.
Also, to the user who mentioned Seabiscuit, that was a wonderful flick and an even better book.

Montana Smith

I've noticed this DVD around, but with this cover,

hidalgo_01.jpg

it didn't call out to me. I thought it was something to do with Spain, maybe even the Moors.

However, that poster Rocket put up is another matter. Part of that should have been on the front cover, and I'd have bought it as a western!

Montana Smith said:
I've noticed this DVD around, but with this cover,

hidalgo_01.jpg

it didn't call out to me. I thought it was something to do with Spain, maybe even the Moors.

However, that poster Rocket put up is another matter. Part of that should have been on the front cover, and I'd have bought it as a western!
Can't see the cover you posted, but the DVD cover over here isn't all that great either.

Hope you and Drifter check it out...I have a feeling you'll enjoy it.

In 1891, wealthy Sheikh Riyadh (Omar Sharif) sends his attaché Aziz (Adam Alexi-Malle) to invite American Frank Hopkins (Viggo Mortensen), and his mustang, Hidalgo, to enter the "Ocean of Fire," an annual 3,000-mile survival race across the Najd desert region, a race traditionally restricted to pure-bred Arabian horses.

It IS a western!

Goonie

Montana Smith said:
Next time I see the DVD at a boot sale I'll pick it up.

And put on top of the pile of DVDs still waiting to be watched!

Same here. I saw it in the theater, but haven't seen it since. Would like to check it out again. I noticed they sometimes have it in a double feature packaged with "The Alamo". I remember when this movie was supposed to originally have been released under the Walt Disney Pictures title, but something made them release it under Touchstone.

wellofsouls

I like Hidalgo a lot. "No Ego" Viggo really does a fine job, and Omar Sharif seems to be having fun. And how hot is his daughter?

It's occasionally corny - they take the class warfare act a bit too far to my mind - but there is so much good in it.

Too bad it's (quite possibly) not a true story at all...but who knows? Hopkins says it happened.

wellofsouls said:
I like Hidalgo a lot. "No Ego" Viggo really does a fine job, and Omar Sharif seems to be having fun. And how hot is his daughter?
I like her...she's a bit doughy though.

wellofsouls said:
It's occasionally corny - they take the class warfare act a bit too far to my mind...
There are moments, but what do you think is corny? ...and what went too far?

wellofsouls said:
Too bad it's (quite possibly) not a true story at all...but who knows? Hopkins says it happened.
Well, it does say "based" on a true story...in any event here's the end of Ebert's review:

Whether you like movies like this, only you can say. But if you do not have some secret place in your soul that still responds even a little to brave cowboys, beautiful princesses and noble horses, then you are way too grown up and need to cut back on cable news. And please ignore any tiresome scolds who complain that the movie is not really based on fact. Duh.

...and I don't think you're scolding.

Goonie said:
Same here. I saw it in the theater, but haven't seen it since. Would like to check it out again. I noticed they sometimes have it in a double feature packaged with "The Alamo". I remember when this movie was supposed to originally have been released under the Walt Disney Pictures title, but something made them release it under Touchstone.
It's on TV a bit, I think in a week or two on some cable network...DVRs are so great!

<object width="450" height="245"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/2864"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/2864" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="245" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Montana Smith

Watched it.

Almost enjoyed it.

The way it started it looked like it was going to be a better film. The scenery and action were great, but it ended up being very a Disneyfied animal movie.

A 3,000 mile race comes down to a photo finish. :rolleyes: Especially considering he allegedly won his first race in 1886 by 14 days. Even though Hopkins appears to have been a Baron Munchausen figure, the movie was more like an episode of Wacky Races.

Who'd a thunk a timely bandit attack would save Hopkins from losing his knackers!

Montana Smith said:
A 3,000 mile race comes down to a photo finish. :rolleyes:
I didn't find that too bothersome, seemed like a decent strategy to learn the pace through the initial leg(s) to determine who to keep pace with...it was pretty Disney-ish though, (I didn't think it a bad thing).
Montana Smith said:
Especially considering he allegedly won his first race in 1886 by 14 days. Even though Hopkins appears to have been a Baron Munchausen figure, the movie was more like an episode of Wacky Races.

Who'd a thunk a timely bandit attack would save Hopkins from losing his knackers!

Not quite a Disney moment, it was bound to happen at some point, and it almost facilitated the divorce...