Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - initial impressions and casual discussion

Indy4fan

drwynn said:
You mean by previous characters? No. None at all. Just a photo of Henry Jones, Sr., a painting, statue, and photo of Marcus Brody.
Oh ok. Is the Paramount logo vintage or the modern swirling stars? Is the Indiana Jones title the same font as Raiders and Crusade?

Chilled_Monkey

Congrats on seeing the film drwynn, and thanks for taking your time to answer these questions :)

Anyway, here's mine.

1. How are Harrison and the gang this time? Do they really pull it off, or does it feel like they're going through the motions like some suggest?

2. If you had to pick fault with the film, what would be your major critisism?

3. Is the story as engaging as the rest?

and finally...

4. Do you agree with what some reviewers say that the film lacks tension?

Thanks in advance :)

drwynn

Indy4fan said:
Oh ok. Is the Paramount logo vintage or the modern swirling stars? Is the Indiana Jones title the same font as Raiders and Crusade?

You know...I actually can't remember about the Paramount logo...but, what it transforms into is friggin' classic. The font is the same as "Raiders" and "Crusade".

Indy4fan

drwynn said:
You know...I actually can't remember about the Paramount logo...but, what it transforms into is friggin' classic. The font is the same as "Raiders" and "Crusade".
thanks! Is what it transforms into CGI?

ROTLA

Indy4fan said:

I'll get to the Paramount question first, then general thoughts. It's the old logo and it does do a slow fade into another pseudo-mountain, just like the others. I like the way they did this one, although I had a fear it would lead to some gimmicky Lucas stuff...and I was right.

Overall, I was pleased with movie. Plenty of action, a good amount of drama, fair share of humor. Basically a typical Indy movie. I did think Marion's role was very blah and kind of annoying this time. Mutt, despite my fears, turned out to be a decent character. The "Tarzan/monkey swing" scene was, in my opinion, too much. The waterfall scene was over the top too, but was acceptable - much like the raft sequence in ToD.

I will post more later in the week, but I gave my word that I wouldn't post a "review" until 12:00am Thursday and I'm going to stick by that.

However, if anyone has questions, I would be happy to answer what I can.

drwynn

Chilled_Monkey said:
1. How are Harrison and the gang this time? Do they really pull it off, or does it feel like they're going through the motions like some suggest?

and finally...

Thanks in advance :)

I think Harrison and the gang shine. I even had no problem "accepting" Mutt (and going into it, I was very skeptical of the character and the idea of him). I think perhaps the reason some say this is because of a few scenes in which Marion seems to come off as a bit "flat" during the action...but, hell...these people are 19 years older. I don't blame them for coming off as a little older and having it show in some ways. But, "going through the motions"? Never...

My major criticism would be in the use of CGI; it's definitely there...and sometimes it was apparent. But, hell...even that didn't really bother me because in the past they would've used bluescreen, matte paintings, models, etc. And all of those things are apparent too if you're looking for it. The only reason I say I criticize the use of CGI is this; if you're going to write a finale that you imagine as being accomplished by CGI...then, maybe think of another way of geting the same message across without being totally reliant on CGI. Does that even make sense? It does in my head...but, that's not saying much, right?

I LOVED the plot...yes, to me it was engaging. It took a bit of time for the film to explain to the audience just exactly WHY it was so important for the Crystal Skull to not fall into the wrong hands. But, when it is explained...it does make sense. Perhaps there's not the same type of "gravitas" as the danger of the Ark falling into the wrong hands...but, there's still a worldly threat of the Skull being used improperly. But, you have to be able to accept the premise of what the Skull is capable of; but, being an Indiana Jones film...I believed right from the get go. Because, it wouldn't be a film all about a "false prophet" relic, would it?

I DON'T buy the premise that there isn't any tension. Perhaps I wasn't as afraid for Indy because, after all, he IS Indy...and I'm an adult and don't see things the way I did as a kid. I usually assume the hero will always prevail...especially in a Spielberg film, for cryin' out loud. But, there is tension in the film. Like I said...perhaps not as much as there was in "Raiders"...but, that's because the potential of the Ark as a weapon seemed more deadly. The potential of the Skull seems dangerous...but, it's not as outwardly destructive. It's more of an internal threat. Might not make sense now...but, when you see the film...that sentence will make total sense.

Cheers!

drwynn

Avilos said:
Thats is exactly what I was wondering about. Is that line in the actual film?

Yes, that conversation appears in the film.

but, I can tell you a line that DOES NOT appear in the film.

Avilos

It IS?!!! That is awesome! I know thats going to blow away Young Indy fans!

WHich one?

"Its the mileage, Not the years" etc?

Avilos

drwynn said:
Yup. That line never appears in the film...not that I remember, anyways!

I figured that is what you meant. Spielberg mentioned a while back it was not in the movie.

drwynn

I'll tell you what; I LOVED the last 30 seconds of this film (before the credits roll). Spielberg totally toys with the audience and has a little fun at their expense with some great symbolic images.

Man. the more I think about it...the more I'm liking this film. I'll see it again Wednesday at midnight (which will actually be Thursday). Hopefully it'll be as good on second viewing!...

Avilos

Thats great drwynn! Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm with us. The reaction of a fellow fan is much more meaningful to me than any critic.

12am Thursday can not come soon enough! (y)

ROTLA

drwynn said:
I'll tell you what; I LOVED the last 30 seconds of this film (before the credits roll). Spielberg totally toys with the audience and has a little fun at their expense with some great symbolic images.

Man. the more I think about it...the more I'm liking this film. I'll see it again Wednesday at midnight (which will actually be Thursday). Hopefully it'll be as good on second viewing!...

Agreed, drwynn. The ending was OUTSTANDING. My wife, who is not an Indy fanatic, really enjoyed the film and made a comment at the end. SPOILER -
When Mutt was about to put the fedora on she said, "oh, they're going to make him the new Indy," and then Indy takes the hat, places it on his own head and gives Mutt that I-don't-think-so look. Great, great ending.

And, like you, I like the film the more I think about it.

Chilled_Monkey said:

and finally...

1. I thought the actors, for the most part, were very good. It seemed like the script/dialogue occasionally went flat, but the acting was what you would expect. The exception might be Marion. I thought she was a little boring and found her kind of annoying. It was a flip from her role in RotLA.

2. The animals. I hate when Lucas goes "kiddie" on us and he did it again. The opening "mountain" clip was ok, but they should have stopped there. The "Tarzan/monkey" scene was too much and pretty much unbelievable. Other than that, no major complaints.

3. The story is good, not quite as good as RotLA or LC. But I think it's definitely on par with ToD.

4. It lacks tension in the sense that you don't always think Indy's about to die. But if people say that, in general, it lacks tension, I would disagree. My wife - again, not an Indy fanatic - said that she enjoyed the movie and that it kept her interested the entire time. She said she was definitely into it.

Basically, this is an old fashioned, fun movie. I think most people seeing KofCS will walk away feeling they didn't waste money on the ticket. The degree to which people enjoy it, that's the thing that will vary. Did you just get your money's worth or do you consider your ticket a major bargain?

nzlc

omg i cant wait two more days i cant believe its nearly happening.i think this movie will leak on the net by saturday

Darth Vile

Thanks for your posts guys. Again, it sounds like KOTCS gets a resounding thumbs up. Taking into account that these movies are not perfect, sounds like KOTCS is as good as any fan of the franchize could wish for...