Video Games

Indyologist

Hi everyone! Let's use this space to talk about your favorite video games that are NOT Indy related.

What is your favorite video game, old or new?

Do you prefer a certain platform over another? Why?

Share your good and not-so-good video game memories.

Did you grow up in the 80's like myself? What was your favorite arcade game? What strategies did you use? Did you ever "flip the board?"

Did you have an Atari 2600 or other game system at home? What was your favorite game(s) on your home system and why?

Discuss! Declare! Exchange! Embarrass!

I

Indy_Jones88

Great Thread, Indyologist.

Well I currently have an XBOX with several games. Here is a list of my fav games.

Indy and the Emperors Tomb
The 3 Bond Games
The 2 Medal of Honor Games.
Max Payne
Grand Theft Auto Double Pack
True Crime:Streets of LA

I also have some Computer Games.

Call of Duty
Medal of Honor Allied Assault w/ 2 expansion Packs
Battlefield 1942

Battlefield 1942 sucks in my opinion. It is very choppy and the gameplay is not that good.

I could go on and on about Video Games, But I am going on a trip to Tulsa, Oklahoma for the weekdend. Gotta go pack and go.

Over and Out,
Kris "Indy_Jones88"

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
'Flight of the Amazon Queen' was my all time favorite.
It's an older computer game (similar to FoA), and somehow I lost it without ever finishing it.
-sob-
<small>this would be a good opportunity for a crying smilie</small> ;)

Finn

Staff member
Indyologist, you asked if Doom is any good in that other thread... well, all I can say is that give it a shot, since it's free nowadays (and only 4 MBs big).

I'm a big fan of adventure games. You know, those nice little point'n'click thingies succumbing you into a very intriguing story and drivin' you nuts with mind-breaking puzzles. They don't do games like that anymore (or they do, but very little, very little)...

Luckily, some of the past greats have now been released as freeware (a.k.a. all free to download & play). And I'm going to support you with a good pack to get you started:

First of all, get ScummVM (1.5 MB) to run the goodies below.

Now that you have the machine, time to get a couple of games, right?

Flight of the Amazon Queen (for yours truly, Ayrun)
Take the role of a top-notch pilot-for-hire Joe King and get yourself mixed into an incident in the Amazon jungle involving the World's tallest pygmies, rivalling airline enterpriser and a German leather pants company... with a mad scientist and some damsels in distress thrown in. (NOTE: this file is 35 MBs large, but is also available as a lot smaller 7 MB, though this version lacks full sound and speech.)

Beneath A Steel Sky
This is for the friends of Sci-Fi. A Blade-Runnerish adventure 200 years in the dark(?) future as an amnesiac fellow called Foster tries to figure out who he is & why everyone seems to be too eager to get rid of him... (NOTE: Also available as no-speech file, 8 MBs, if you feel that the 66 megs of the original are stuff too heavy for you.)

Indyologist

Finn said:
Indyologist, you asked if Doom is any good in that other thread... well, all I can say is that give it a shot, since it's free nowadays (and only 4 MBs big).

And I'm going to support you with a good pack to get you started:

WOW!! Thank you so much, Finn. That was sooo great of you! (Sending kisses & hugs your way-- XXXXOOOOO) You have such a generous heart! Sounds like we feel the same way about those Golden Oldies, you and I...

I'll have to save these games to a regular disk or two (hopefully) because I can't download large stuff to my computer here at work. When I get a new computer at home (someday-- sigh), then I can just call up these goodies at my leisure!!

My favorite video games (in no particular order):

Ms. Pac-Man
Dig-Dug
Mr. Do
Frogger
Moon Patrol
Golden Axe
Crazy Climber
Burgertime
Space Invaders

Computer games:

Boulderdash
LodeRunner
Boom!
Castle Wolfenstein
Eagle's Nest

Atari 2600 Games:

Dolphin
Riddle of the Sphinx
Demons to Diamonds
Kaboom!

Super NES games:

Pitfall: the Mayan Adventure
Primal Rage
Might & Magic III: Isles of Terra

I'll add more as I think of them...

GLAD YOU LIKE THIS THREAD, GUYS!

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
I'm more than glad to provide you with nice surprises, ladies...

And it de facto even end there. Here's a real wonder piece for the friends of some kick-ass action... .kkrieger. Don't let the size of this file fool you... once you run this baby, your butts will drop from your chairs.

The world is full of <i>excellent</i> free games... if you know where to look for 'em. I guess I'll be visiting this thread often.

<small>And Ayrun, be sure to download ScummVM as well, this version of FotAQ <i>won't</i> run without it!</small>

LASTCRUSADER

Some of my favorite games would have to be.

-Monkey Island(all of them)
-Leisure Suit Larry
-Doom
-Pacman
-Super Mario Bros 3
-Mortal Kombat(Sega Genesis)
-Grand Theft Auto III(PS2)
-Grand Turismo III

I would have to say that other then the Indy games my favorite are by far the Monkey Island Games.

Katarn07

Who's got an XBOX here? I'll copy and paste my XBOX Vault and brief review below:

Secret Weapons Over Normandy is an awesome flight sim/ arcade game. It combines a little of both aspects but sadly plays out to be more like Rogue Squadron rather than X-Wing like the old LEC WWII plane games did. Still very fun!

Gladius is cool if you're into strategy. It's like a virtual board game like Chess, only with customizable peices with different moves and attacks that you choose as you level them up and get the points to do so. Sound boring? I love it but it's not for everyone.

007: Everything or Nothing has a story worthy of a Bond movie! It borrows some of the coolest elements from the Bond movies and rolls it up in one action packed adventure. By far one of the greatest games of all time. Great shoot 'em up levels, awesome vehicle levels, and excellent graphics.

True Crime: Streets of LA is a fun game. It's like GTA only you're a gun happy cop. You can be a goodie good cop that goes by the book or a rutheless cop that does anything to get his way. I fall into the second category but watch out for the SWAT teams if you do things that way too much! The driving isn't all that fun but the shooting is fun and the martial arts is to die for.

Medal of Honor: Frontline is.... Meh, it's just another WWII shooter. Nothing to see there. I'm selling my copy and either going to get Syberia or just pocket the loot. One thing I'll say for it is that it's surprisingly easy to control with an XBOX controller, unlike the PS2's.

Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is also one of my favorite games. It spans across several different locales and you get to punch your way through hordes of Nazis, Arabs, Chinese mobsters, and a few other bad guys. While not in combat, you're sure to be solving some sort of puzzle or trying to get from point A to point B via neat adventurous Tomb Raider moves.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is.... must I say it? It has a great story with great characters. The setting and mood is better than the PT and more like the OT. It has a great and dark twist that will just make you not wanna stop playing. It has a good political side story and some neat side quests on nice planets that won't leave you bored.

Star Wars: Jedi Academy really made up for JO which I'm not too fond of. Jaden's a somewhat neat character for being customizable. Kyle absolutely ruled and Tavion was just so badass! She was much better than in the first game and made Desann look like a Sith Poser (he was one after all). It had more fun and memorable levels than JO as well. Replay value is great. Also, the temptation to fall is much greater. I fell my first time through.

My best PC Games also copy and pasted:

No One Lives Forever is an awesome FPS! It's one of my favorite games and has one of my favorite video game characters of all time, Cate Archer. She's a badass chick who doesn't let her sexist superiors boss her around. She has a shady past that makes her all the more intriguing. Not to mention, for a CG character, she's mighty fine looking and has a sexy Scottish accent. The story is your basic spy situation: good vs evil, in this case, UNITY vs HARM. Yes, it's a corny story but that's another reason it's good. It's got serious gameplay yet has a lighthearted story that pokes fun at itself and spy stories in general. There's a sequel but I never got it. I might have to now that I got my new video card!

Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Swoard Coast/ Baldur's Gate II: Shadow's of Amn are epic tales similar to KotOR, only it's set in the Dungeons and Dragons setting instead of the SW galaxy. It's very cool if you like Knights, Magicians, and Dragons. You get alot more options in regards of your character customization as well and there seems to be more NPCs than in KotOR.

Sacred is alot like Diablo only has better graphics and a bigger game area. I have only gotten less than 10% of the world unlocked! My sister seems to like it a bit more than me; it's lack of story and characters (like in KotOR or Baldurs Gate) can turn you off very quickly.

Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit/ Need for Speed IV: High Stakes are my favorite racing games of all time and are actually one and the same. NFS4 has more cars, more tracks, and a career mode and is therefore superior. It's more or less just an expansion, you just don't need to have NFS3 to play it. The tracks are beautiful, even to todays standards I think. The AI can be set to race dirty and that's just the way I like it! Dirty tactics while being pursued by the cops is one of the biggest thrills you can get in a video game in my opinion!

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is just as bad as the XBOX Medal of Honor game, Frontline. The D-Day level was alot more realistic though and I had more fun playing it. Still not that great of a game in my opinion....

And besides SW: JA, I advise you all to pick these great titles up. They are my all time favorites:

Dark Forces (PS1/ DOS/ Win 95, 98, XP*)
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (Win 95, 98, XP)
Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith Add On pack for JK (requires JK on your machine)
Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (GC, PS2, XBOX, PC)

* DF requires some downloadable software from some site to work on an XP machine sometimes. I got the link, I haven't run the program yet.

Finn

Staff member
Yeah, NOLF is a good game. The sequel even better. Some unique ideas in that one.

The Nintendo 64 is my favorite gaming platform, probably because I was just the right age when it came out. There were some great games for it too.
Some of my favorites are Super Smash Brothers, GoldenEye 007, Banjo-Kazooie, and many others.
For the arcade, I like the original Burger Time. It kinda takes the Pac-Man idea a litte further.
I have an Xbox with a few good games too, but it just doesn't seem to have the magic that the old stuff does.

IndyBlues

I'd have to say that some of my favorite games laterly would be:

Splinter Cell
Halo
Spiderman2
Jedi Acadamy
Knights of the Old Republic
Crimson Skies
and of course;
Emperors Tomb

Johan

Any body have a Turbo Graphics 16? I do. But I have to say my favorate games are still the Madden games especially 2005 for my PS2.
Anyway Socom and Medal Of Honor are good as well.

Redwall

As an avid gamer, I'll throw in a reference to Red Alert, one of my personal favorite games.

Also, Grim Fandango hasn't been mentioned, which is the one game I've played I consider a work of art. Granted, there's a lot of games I haven't played.

Deadlock

Anybody play Fallout 1 and 2?

I love those games. Nothing beats wandering the nuclear wastes with a combat shotgun and a dog named "Dogmeat." Some fond memories...

Katarn07

Indyologist said:
"No One Lives Forever" sounds intriguing... wish they made it for XBox, too.

http://www.noonelivesforever.com/operative/

The game's pretty old. How new is your PC? I ran it just fine on my last one until some virus or something messed it up. My new PC runs it with everything maxed out. It's amazing.

Originally posted by Deadlock
Anybody play Fallout 1 and 2?

I love those games. Nothing beats wandering the nuclear wastes with a combat shotgun and a dog named "Dogmeat." Some fond memories...

I've been looking around to get my hands on both of them for a good price. They're quite expensive off of Amazon for some reason. I have my priorities for games though. For oldies, I want NOLF2, FoA, IM, and FO 1&2 in that order.

For new ones, I've got my eye on Star Wars: Battlefront (SW Halo MP supposedly but it looks like BF1942 to me; the SW DVDs are coming with an XBOX demo so I'll soon find out), Star Wars: KotORII: Sith Lords (supposedly coming to an XBOX and PC winter this year!), Star Wars: Republic Commando (looks like Halo kinda, got pushed back to Feb of next year), American McGee's Scrapland (futuristic GTA type game with amazing graphics and art; I think it'll be an instant classic), and lastly, Brothers in Arms (a tactical WWII FPS that proves to be the most accurate WWII game ever made).

Element

Super nintendo: Donkey kong country
Super mario world
Aladin(yes, I once liked this game)

N64: Goldeneye(One of the best classic games for N64. I think )
Mario cart
The Zelda games(were ok)

PC: Medal of Honor allied assult
Call of Duty