Indy on IMAX

kongisking

featofstrength said:
saw it late last nite with the wife and a couple friends...had the whole theatre to ourselves

got a few mini posters as well

Lucky fellow. I can't attend the marathon, for complicated reasons. Was it a good time?

Henry W Jones said:
Yes sir!!!!
Scared me for a second there! Thought they were screening it on The Boeing IMAX Theater!

THAT would have been news!

That's what I thought when you wrote full size IMAX!

Attila the Professor said:
Man, unresponsive audiences really take the fun out of something like this.

Even though the theater I saw it in was half full I was glad my boy and I weren't surrounded by some half assed Mardi Gras!

We were able to be absorbed in the film...even though we've seen it once before in the theater, I was surprised at how grossed out he was by the mechanic's death and a few other moments. The hand was creeping over the eyes, but never quite covered them. Like Jaws, (sadly unlike Skull) there was some reall tension!

No distractions are great!

Once I have my "private screening" I guess I could enjoy some mass hysteria...as long as I felt I wasn't missing something.

Last edited:

russds

Next year, Universal will join the crowd with "Jurassic Park." <b>George Lucas has promised re-releases of every "Indiana Jones" and "Star Wars" film</b>, with two more, "Attack of the Clones" and "Revenge of the Sith," on deck for next year.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...1_box-office-new-releases-monsters-university

Who knows if this is true or not, and it's not clear if they are talking IMAX, or simply the marathon maybe, who knows. But after seeing (and hearing!) raiders on imax, i would really enjoy seeing the others too.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
Even though the theater I saw it in was half full I was glad my boy and I weren't surrounded by some half assed Mardi Gras!

We were able to be absorbed in the film...even though we've seen it once before in the theater, I was surprised at how grossed out he was by the mechanic's death and a few other moments. The hand was creeping over the eyes, but never quite covered them. Like Jaws, (sadly unlike Skull) there was some reall tension!

No distractions are great!

Once I have my "private screening" I guess I could enjoy some mass hysteria...as long as I felt I wasn't missing something.

You remember my account of the Raiders screenings I went to awhile back. Most of the interest, to me, was hearing where they'd laugh, where they'd gasp, whether they'd cheer. I don't know if an Imax screening is more self-selecting because of the big ticket price, or because there were so many different showings, or because the gigantic screen turns the affair into a Nolan-esque piece of white elephant art, but people didn't seem to be having much fun. And it rubbed off on me, to be honest. I agree with most accounts that claim it looked good and sounded great. Maybe it was just an off-day for me; I'm not sure. Other than the Army Intel and Indy's house scenes, I'm not sure I got totally into the film until the airplane fight.

Goodeknight

Does anybody else think the Indy on the IMAX poster looks like crap?
To me his face seems puffy and too round.
And the squint doesn't look like "I'm in the desert." It looks like "I ate too much cheese."
I don't think it looks anything like HF.

raiders-of-the-lost-ark-imax-poster-403x600.jpg

Though kind of a graphic novel style, I much prefer Indy in this poster:
RaidersoftheLostArk_web1.jpg

Either of the Indy images in these posters looks much more like HF to me.

indiana-jones-and-the-last-crusade-poster1.jpg

indiana_jones_and_the_last_crusade_ver1.jpg

You remember my account of the Raiders screenings I went to awhile back. Most of the interest, to me, was hearing where they'd laugh, where they'd gasp, whether they'd cheer. I don't know if an Imax screening is more self-selecting because of the big ticket price, or because there were so many different showings, or because the gigantic screen turns the affair into a Nolan-esque piece of white elephant art, but people didn't seem to be having much fun. And it rubbed off on me, to be honest. I agree with most accounts that claim it looked good and sounded great. Maybe it was just an off-day for me; I'm not sure. Other than the Army Intel and Indy's house scenes, I'm not sure I got totally into the film until the airplane fight.
So says the Last Crusade fan...;)

There are all sorts of issues, you point out a few reasonable ones...another consideration that came to mind was the economy in concert with the "limited" blu-ray release. I guess you mean the Marathon by the "so many different showings".

I think its not the best planned event.

Moneyball comes to mind when I think of the best way to describe the idea:

"If we try to play like the Yankees in here, we will lose to the Yankees out there..."

Personally I see it as a gift to the hardcore...and as an experiment.

I've seen more criticism of current films and lucas altered fare than of Raiders.

Moedred said:
...Raiders is expanding to 55 more screens for a total of 322!
I was surprised to see some "regular" theaters booking it for an "exclusive week" starting midnight tonight/tomorrow...

Dr.Jonesy

Sorry to hear that, Attila. But I completely get what you mean; if I'm seeing a film I love and the audience is just...kinda dead, it does taint my experience a little. Once you see a film you love again in cinemas, for you seeing the movie on the big screen again is only half of the experience and almost more importantly the other half is sharing/experiencing that film you love with lots of other people.

You've already seen the film in theaters, now it's time to experience it with others and if everyone else seems to be not into it, it kinda lacks that important part of the even. Especially if that film is as epic as 'Raiders'.

I hope my four-film marathon has a better crowd than your 'Raiders' screening did. I'm going to a 280 seater-sold out crowd, so I get the feeling that they'll be into it somewhat...

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
goodeknight said:
Does anybody else think the Indy on the IMAX poster looks like crap?

No, I feel it captures the likeness well as HF has a very fluid face and it is difficult to keep pn character. However, maybe KramStaar would like to forward an opinion...:eek:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
So says the Last Crusade fan...;)

I've come around on that one, though Crusade is certainly still my second favorite.

Rocket Surgeon said:
There are all sorts of issues, you point out a few reasonable ones...another consideration that came to mind was the economy in concert with the "limited" blu-ray release. I guess you mean the Marathon by the "so many different showings".

Not just the marathon, but a week full of screenings. It's not as though it was the only opportunity to see it, as it was for the special occasion screening I attended last year.

Dr. Jonesy said:
Sorry to hear that, Attila. But I completely get what you mean; if I'm seeing a film I love and the audience is just...kinda dead, it does taint my experience a little. Once you see a film you love again in cinemas, for you seeing the movie on the big screen again is only half of the experience and almost more importantly the other half is sharing/experiencing that film you love with lots of other people.

You've already seen the film in theaters, now it's time to experience it with others and if everyone else seems to be not into it, it kinda lacks that important part of the even. Especially if that film is as epic as 'Raiders'.

I hope my four-film marathon has a better crowd than your 'Raiders' screening did. I'm going to a 280 seater-sold out crowd, so I get the feeling that they'll be into it somewhat...

It's not even that I wanted the audience to be as jazzed about the film as I am. But I do like to see what an audience enjoys most, how an audience responds. It's always a fascinating thing to me, and it's useful in really judging how a film to which I am very close is actually received by people. A corrective for my own fandom, if you will. Otherwise it's just a big screen. And that counts for a lot, sure, but unless the audience is lively, it's just sitting up there, wanting to be appreciated. It's not the way to engage with a movie like this.

Stoo

Yesterday, I managed to catch the last show of the run at 10pm, Thursday night in Montreal. Including myself, there were only 11 people. All single males 35 or older sitting alone except for 2 girls with their boyfriends in the back row. Everyone was silent for the entire film.

It was a smaller IMAX screen but the movie was still great to see again after 30 years. The most striking difference for me was seeing how colourful the Cairo street scenes were. They've been really juiced up. Other elements that looked great were things like the ricochet sparks and lightning. Very crisp & vibrant blue.

The audio was exceptional with noises coming from different corners of the theatre. Many sounds I don't remember hearing before. Lots of new visual details were noticeable, too. I've got an interesting list to post in this thread: Things you only noticed this week on the BIG screens

I had to ask 3 different employees to get one of the posters. They were locked up in a cabinet at the guest services counter!

So glad I was able to attend this event!(y)

Dr.Jonesy

'Raiders' theatrical run extended.

Paramount Pictures announced that the theatrical engagement for Raiders of the Lost Ark will be extended. The film will play in more than 300 theaters across the U.S. and Canada. You can read the announcement below:

Due to the extraordinary response for the newly re-mastered ?RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK? during its one-week IMAX engagement, Paramount Pictures Corporation, a division of Viacom, Inc., has announced that the film will have an extended theatrical run beginning Friday, September 14.

The unforgettable and beloved film from director Steven Spielberg and executive producer George Lucas will play in more than 300 digital theaters across the United States and Canada. Tickets can be purchased now. Check your local listings for participating locations and showtimes.

"The re-mastering efforts by Steven, George and their team were incredible and the movie?s hugely successful run in Imax last week was a sure sign that audiences were excited to see the film again on the big screen. We are thrilled that audiences will have that chance again as part of this extended theatrical run,? said Rob Moore, Vice Chairman of Paramount Pictures.

?RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK? was released for an exclusive one-week engagement in select IMAX® theaters on September 7, 2012. Under the supervision of Spielberg and renowned sound designer Ben Burtt, the film was meticulously restored with careful attention to preserving its original look, sound and feel for a highly-anticipated release in theaters and on Blu-ray.

INDIANA JONES: THE COMPLETE ADVENTURES debuts on Blu-ray September 18, 2012 from Lucasfilm Ltd. and Paramount Home Media Distribution with seven hours of fascinating bonus material, including a brand new two-part documentary titled ?On Set with Raiders of the Lost Ark ? From Jungle to Desert and From Adventure to Legend.? Featuring nearly an hour of rarely seen footage from the set of the film and archival interviews with Steven Spielberg, George Lucas and Harrison Ford, this captivating piece transports fans back to where the legend began.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94796