The Mayan Calendar and 2012

Niteshade007

Damn, I'll be out of school by then. I always pray for the rapture around exam time, and I tell whatever-power(s)-that-be that I will be really pissed if he/they wait until after I have finished my exams.

Michael24

The exact date appears to be December 21, 2012. Wouldn't you know it? Just two days before my 34 birthday. I was hoping to finally buy a Hoverboard and power-lace Nikes in 2015. :p

Insomniac

Michael24 said:
The exact date appears to be December 21, 2012. Wouldn't you know it? Just two days before my 34 birthday. I was hoping to finally buy a Hoverboard and power-lace Nikes in 2015. :p
Nice!!! There was an urban ledgend that those things exsist back in the 80's.:)

Michael24

Yeah, damn Robert Zemeckis. After he joked in an interview, "Hoverboards exist, parents groups just complained and got them pulled from store shelves," everybody start hounding Toys R Us and other toy stores for any leftover Hoverboards they might have still had. My friends and I were among them. Haha!!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
The end of the world and the end of the world as we know it are two different things. Often if any meaning, I would probably take the "as we know it" meaning if Dec 21st, 2012 is really going to have any significance. Besides, Nostradamus predicted 1999 to be the end of the world, NOT 2012. He also predicted that Sydney would be destroyed by a tidal wave because the Olympic Stadium was built on an Aboriginal burial ground, in 1999. That was a load of bs. '99 came and went, and so did the 2000 Olympics. But, the "end as we know it" I think would be perhaps more of a visitation thing kind of what the X-Files were hinting at, an awakening of some kind.

In Christianity, I never understood why God would go to the trouble of making this world and angels and stuff and then go to the trouble of destroying it. It just doesn't make sense. Is life really that meaningless, like a sand castle we make on the beach and decide to stamp on it when we leave coz we're leaving and it's fun? I mean, isn't He supposed to know what was, is and will be? If you knew that the diablo would be a fallen angel and take others with him, then why didn't he destroy the world then and the diablo and the fallen ones when that happened before this world was created in the first place? It's like the world and everything in it was never meant to be perfect in the first place. To question when the end will be, is also asking why was there a beginning in the first place? God is supposed to be love and compassion and justice, then why destroy everything you created?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well when you throw justice into the mix, that's going to make things infinitely more complicated, for starters. Also, since the beginning, and very soon after, things didn't quite go to plan.

I don't know - I haven't gotten much into the theology of apocalypse, but the problem of evil has all to do with free will, which sort of led to all bets being off.

Or there's the Job argument, where it's all just a bet.

kongisking

Violet Indy said:
The end of the world and the end of the world as we know it are two different things. Often if any meaning, I would probably take the "as we know it" meaning if Dec 21st, 2012 is really going to have any significance. Besides, Nostradamus predicted 1999 to be the end of the world, NOT 2012. He also predicted that Sydney would be destroyed by a tidal wave because the Olympic Stadium was built on an Aboriginal burial ground, in 1999. That was a load of bs. '99 came and went, and so did the 2000 Olympics. But, the "end as we know it" I think would be perhaps more of a visitation thing kind of what the X-Files were hinting at, an awakening of some kind.

In Christianity, I never understood why God would go to the trouble of making this world and angels and stuff and then go to the trouble of destroying it. It just doesn't make sense. Is life really that meaningless, like a sand castle we make on the beach and decide to stamp on it when we leave coz we're leaving and it's fun? I mean, isn't He supposed to know what was, is and will be? If you knew that the diablo would be a fallen angel and take others with him, then why didn't he destroy the world then and the diablo and the fallen ones when that happened before this world was created in the first place? It's like the world and everything in it was never meant to be perfect in the first place. To question when the end will be, is also asking why was there a beginning in the first place? God is supposed to be love and compassion and justice, then why destroy everything you created?

Well spoke, Vi. Exactly my thoughts...:hat:

JayDee

Violet Indy said:

This complete theory is very missunderstood, I think.

As far as I know, 2012 the Mayan calendar ends. Then the Gods shall return to earth. There was never a word of the world undergoing. They just said, that their timeline or something (cant explain right now) would end.

And if the christian God is almighty, he should had known that his world is going to end. So why even "create" us?

This "God is almighty"-thing is for the a**, anyway. Just look into the Bible. There are "evidences" that God is not almighty.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
JayDee said:
This complete theory is very missunderstood, I think.

As far as I know, 2012 the Mayan calendar ends. Then the Gods shall return to earth. There was never a word of the world undergoing. They just said, that their timeline or something (cant explain right now) would end.

And if the christian God is almighty, he should had known that his world is going to end. So why even "create" us?

This "God is almighty"-thing is for the a**, anyway. Just look into the Bible. There are "evidences" that God is not almighty.

But that's what I'm trying to say. No gods in any of mythology and religion, were perfect. They often act on rather human terms, which ties back into the theory of ancient astronauts and into even the Mayan calendar when the "gods" return to earth. The timeline is the timeline of the age, we are living in right now, I believe it's called, "The Age of the Jaguar" or something along those lines. The Mayan calendar also supposedly matches up with the timeline in the Great Pyramid of Giza. All seem to refer to the stars and the people that come from them.

What I was also trying to point out in my post was the blurring of the lines between "The End of Days" and "The End of An Age". Many evangelists and such people like to use 2012 as a way to manipulate the masses into their religion to increase their pocketbooks and their population, however I am not suggesting that having a religious/spiritual side is a bad thing, quite the contrary, I feel it is important for survival in terms of needing something to believe in, to feel some kind of peace and contentment in life and the humbling of one's self. I do believe that there is a God, there is a spiritual being, but I don't necessarily believe in absolutely everything written about Him as that is written by Man, and everyone has their own view and personal understanding of God. Everyone has various journeys in life and one of them is finding God or whatever higher being you believe in, which is more than likely in my point of view one and the same.

I also believe that we are not alone and we have been visited before and it's very possible that we could be visited and awaken to the fact, that we are not really the ultimate being after all in future, how soon that is, I honestly don't know. I do know that with the way things are we need more knowledge and we need to understand the right decision in regards to what we are developing in technology such as living longer lives pass 100, anti-ageing and biotechnology in terms of cloning and stem cells. We still struggling to answer the basic questions like What is Love? and Why do must we live life? We are getting to a point where we really need these answers to move on to whatever the next step for mankind is.