The Complete Making of Indiana Jones

Raider S

Had some time to browse this book in the bookstore this afternoon. Of course it's the best source out there about these movies now, but I found myself kind of dissapointed that there didn't seem to be more detailed photos of the specific props and there weren't as many photos as miniatures (special effects stuff) I was hoping for.

Looks good though but I would buy on Amazon to save the tax and also the discount.

Adamwankenobi

Raider S said:
but I found myself kind of dissapointed that there didn't seem to be more detailed photos of the specific props and there weren't as many photos as miniatures (special effects stuff) I was hoping for.

That was all covered in the book From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives, which was released in the mid-nineties. You can still find it used on Amazon.com.

Michael24

That is one of my favorite movie-related books sitting on my shelf. I've lost track of the numbers of times I've just sat through flipping through the pages looking at all those great pictures. I love that thing! (y)

fixer79

Michael24 said:
That is one of my favorite movie-related books sitting on my shelf. I've lost track of the numbers of times I've just sat through flipping through the pages looking at all those great pictures. I love that thing! (y)

Same here! I used it so much it's falling apart! I think I know what's on what page by heart by now :p

Really looking forward to this new one...

Billy Ray

I love From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives too...one of my all time favorites...I never get tired of it.

I picked up the Making of book today. Stopped by Barnes and Noble to pick up the Indiana Jones magazine and walked out with this instead. Had a brief chance to glance through it at lunch and it looks amazing! Can't wait to spend some quality time with it.

Mothy

I've heard good things about this, it is my kind of book. This and the DK Ultimate Guide are the stand outs for me. I'll pick it up soon.

Indy Pendant

I had to justify purchasing this by saying that it's exactly like my Rent bible and Wicked Grimmerie, but I got a 20-percent-off coupon from Borders and bought it last Thursday.

I've already read it twice. Love it. It's sitting on my coffee table.

Crack that whip

I just received my copy today along with a bunch of other stuff I'd ordered from the Star Wars and Indiana Jones online shops, and man, is it fantastic. This is simply one of the essential books in any Indy fan's library.

It deserves tremendous praise, but it is getting that already, so though I have much praise to shower on it, I do want to make my first two specific comments on it criticisms, if only because I want to get them off my chest and out of the way quickly:

First, as good as it is, it really should have covered The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles if it's to be comprehensive. As it is, there are a few mentions of it at the beginning of the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull section, and even a tiny photo, but nothing like it deserves. The show could easily support an exhaustive "making-of" discussion longer than that of any of the movies, and it's a shame this oft-overlooked, incredibly ambitious show (which frankly has such an interesting production history that it ought to make for worthwhile reading even if one's not a fan of the show itself, to say nothing of its appeal for someone who is, as many fans of the movies - and therefore people interested in this book - surely are).

Secondly, I think to really do KotCS full justice, the book should've been delayed a bit so it could treat all the final post-production stuff, people's recollections, audience and critical response, etc., as it does the others.

But those things said... man, this is still a terrific book.(y)

Adamwankenobi

Crack that whip said:
First, as good as it is, it really should have covered The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles if it's to be comprehensive. As it is, there are a few mentions of it at the beginning of the Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull section, and even a tiny photo, but nothing like it deserves. The show could easily support an exhaustive "making-of" discussion longer than that of any of the movies, and it's a shame this oft-overlooked, incredibly ambitious show (which frankly has such an interesting production history that it ought to make for worthwhile reading even if one's not a fan of the show itself, to say nothing of its appeal for someone who is, as many fans of the movies - and therefore people interested in this book - surely are).

Agreed. :( What's interesting though is that J.W. Rinzler has mentioned another book he's been working on at George Lucas' request. Could it be about YIJC? As you said, it was a huge production, so I think a whole book could be written about it.

ReggieSnake

Adamwankenobi said:
Agreed. :( What's interesting though is that J.W. Rinzler has mentioned another book he's been working on at George Lucas' request. Could it be about YIJC? As you said, it was a huge production, so I think a whole book could be written about it.
I hope so; that would be a very interesting book indeed.:)

Indy Pendant

Dr.Sartorius said:
That other book Rinzler is reffering to is most likely The Complete Making of The Empire Strikes Back.

Awesome. I am already looking forward to this. I'm about to sell used books back to my local indie bookstore so I can get enough store credit to buy The Complete Making of Star Wars. (I am the local Indy bookstore.)

Adamwankenobi

Dr.Sartorius said:
That other book Rinzler is reffering to is most likely The Complete Making of The Empire Strikes Back.

Rinzler recently did an interview where he mentioned an Empire making-of book, but spoke as if it was just an idea at this point. Comparing that to his comments he made on his blog back in March, it has to be a dfferent book.

Stoo

ATMachine said:
Now, Susan is the female student who was at Indy's house in the infamous alternate version of the scene taking place there. So it's my guess that indeed, both versions of the Marcus-visiting-Indy scene were filmed, though only one made it to the screen. Larry Kasdan claimed in a recent interview that only one version was shot, but I'd guess based on the photo evidence that he was simply misinformed.
Just came across this in "The Indiana Jones Diaries" supplement of the Indy Empire issue...

Lawrence Kasdan:
"Originally when Marcus comes to see Indy, he's just come home from a party and
there's a girl who makes a getaway. I think some of that was shot but then cut."

Michael24

Adamwankenobi said:
Rinzler recently did an interview where he mentioned an Empire making-of book, but spoke as if it was just an idea at this point. Comparing that to his comments he made on his blog back in March, it has to be a dfferent book.
I hope it happens. When I first read about The Complete Making of Star Wars prior to its release, the article noted that additional volumes devoted to The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi were also in the works. I think it's only fair to have Complete Making of books for them as well.

Dr. Gonzo

I was casually reading the Crystal Skull portion of the book at Borders and noticed something strange. I crazy or was there a draft with the name "Indiana Jones and the Atomic Ants"?! Or something like that?

Dr. Gonzo

that would be a relief. thanks.

(not that it matters much now that the movie is out anyway.)

For some reason I think I am more interested in how this movie was made as apposed to the film itself.

(let the bashing begin)