Harrison Ford stoner?

Mitchellhallock said:
...what's the "o" symbol the guy in the middle is doing?
That's Sergio Mendes and the sign he's throwing is just that...sign language. If you don't know or can't find out let me know, just consider this:

1277116081-shakira-girl.jpg

Lonsome_Drifter said:
No idea. But, they look like some sort of cult.
The raw beginnings of Heaven's Gate perhaps? :p
Yeah, they were called "Hippies."

Cue Montana!

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Yeah, they were called "Hippies."

Cue Montana!

Don 't be fooled by the appearance of the mild mannered janitor. It's just an alter ego.

These are not the hippies you're looking for:

5353872076_515da9c572_z.jpg

Look at Harry. He's got wood. These are the set carpenters demanding the director pay them double time for working on a Sunday. One of them is being less than complimentary about the producers.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
]
Look at Harry. He's got wood. These are the set carpenters demanding the director pay them double time for working on a Sunday. One of them is being less than complimentary about the producers.

Haha! Yes, the one in the middle has that stern expression while demanding double-time with his right hand and threatening something very awful with his left.

Stoo

digitalfreaknyc said:
What's this pic from?
Making an educated guess:
c.late 1968 (his hair is slightly longer than in "Journey to Shiloh")
Encino, California
Harrison's first paying carpentry job - Building a recording studio in Sergio Mendes' backyard.
Rocket Surgeon said:
That's Sergio Mendes and the sign he's throwing is just that...sign language.
Thanks for the Sergio Mendes clue, Rocket.:hat: As I mentioned before, it's a Buddhist mudra (hand gesture). Specifically the mudra, Jnana. The "o" is a circle representing the Wheel of Law and it's used in meditation, yoga, etc. Here's a quote from da global intranetses:

"The Jnana mudra (Sanskrit: jñanamudrÄ), or "gesture of knowledge" is done by touching the tips of the thumb and the index together, forming a circle, and the hand is held with the palm inward toward the heart."

The Buddha, himself, using it:

JnanaMudra.jpg

Rocket Surgeon said:
If you don't know or can't find out let me know, just consider this:
Yes, there is life outside of comic conventions!:eek: Jnana = wisdom. If only there was more of that 'round here...:p
Lonsome Drifter said:
Haha! Yes, the one in the middle has that stern expression while demanding double-time with his right hand and threatening something very awful with his left.
The one in the middle with the stern expression was, at that time, actually Harrison's employer.;)

Montana Smith

Okay, back in the real world, if we must. ;)

With a summer stock-theater job on his resume and a new wife by his side (Harrison Ford married his college sweetheart, Mary Marquardt, however they later divorced), Harrison Ford left for Los Angeles with the hopes of pursuing an acting career.

Once in L.A., Harrison Ford received bit parts in television series such as The Virginian and Ironside, but this was not keeping him busy nor was it paying the bills. He took a job as a carpenter with the task of building a recording studio for Brazilian composer Sergio Mendes.

Producers and directors told Harrison Ford that he did not have what it took to be an actor, but he did have a knack for carpentry and taught himself about it with the help of a library book he borrowed.

http://uk.askmen.com/celebs/men/entertainment/30_harrison_ford.html

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Yes, there is life outside of comic conventions

Everyone knows that... It's at the movie theatre!

Davis: That's part of your problem: you haven't seen enough movies. All of life's riddles are answered in the movies.:D

Stoo

Mitchellhallock said:
Everyone knows that... It's at the movie theatre!
The scary thing is: You're probably NOT joking.:eek: Oh...before I forget, you're welcome for the hand gesture explanation, you thankless swine! (Obligatory Miss Piggy reference):p
Montana Smith said:
Okay, back in the real world, if we must.;)
Here's more...
----
Barbara Walters Interview
3/24/1997
ABC Special Report

(excerpt)
BARBARA WALTERS: Did you know anything about being a carpenter?

HARRISON FORD: No. No, I bought a house in the Hollywood Hills, and I started to fix it up. So I got some books on carpentry, and I started buying a few tools. I realized I wasn't going to be able to pay somebody else to do this work. I was going to have to do it myself.

Pretty soon, I had too much invested in tools to go out and buy any materials. So I went and got a job as a carpenter. I looked -- you know, I had the costume. I had the tools.

BARBARA WALTERS: You had the jeans?

HARRISON FORD: I had the book from the Encino Public Library. And when Sergio Mendes walked me around his backyard and showed me where he wanted the recording studio built and asked me questions about it, I gave him the answers that I imagined would be suitable, and I got the job.

So my first job was a $100,000 recording studio for Sergio Mendes in his backyard in Encino.
Me said:
...and didn't Harrison go to the Monterey Pop Festival in the summer of '67?
Not only was Harrison at Monterey Pop, he was backstage! That is far out, man...:cool:

completemonterey_05.jpg

MontereyPop.jpg

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
I should write that book...
Spare yourself, Horse.;)
Mitchellhallock said:
Et tu, Stoo?
Shakespeare. Thank G_d...You DO know something outside of comic conventions afterall! (Mitch, don't take me seriously, I'm just chiding you in a northeastern kind of way.:cool:)

Back on topic: Has anyone else spotted Harrison in the psychedelic, "Zabriskie Point"? (Yes, he's in it.)

Redinight421

I am quite jealous of actors or people in general with the wealth to afford to smoke and let it be known. Their professions don't frown upon it. It's the regular folk who suffer from pot's negative image. It won't be legalized anytime soon because its not important, like finally getting same sex marriages legalized or funding education etc.

I like pot a lot over alcohol for common sense reasons. Alcohol destroys you and I don't drink anymore. Still it's not a necessity so I go without.

PS. Amsterdam is a really beautiful great city.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Stoo said:
Spare yourself, Horse.;)
Shakespeare. Thank G_d...You DO know something outside of comic conventions afterall!

I read the Julius Ceaser Classic Comic version EXCELSIOR! 'nuff said. :D

Stoo

Mitchellhallock said:
I read the Julius Ceaser Classic Comic version EXCELSIOR! 'nuff said.:D
Of that, I have no doubt since it's spelled, "Ceasar", and not 'Ceaser'. (This is probably the same reason why you repeatedly spell "Exaclibur" as 'Excaliber'.) Back to school, muppet!:whip:

Back on topic: So...who else has seen Harrison in the pyschedelic, "Zabriskie Point"? (Blink and you'll miss him!)

Redinight421

:) That was poorly written. What I mean is this: given the choice of being stoned every night OR drinking yourself to sleep your body would thank you for smoking. Alcohol is a poison, it can kill you in large quantities or over time. You can't smoke yourself dead, especially if you vaporize it. Of course your bound to have a lousy group of friends and you will become a lazy bum if you smoke everyday.

Anyway, I would've liked to join Belloq and share the hookah ...and speaking of that bar there are some green leaves in the background that look suspicious :)

Gear

Redinight421 said:
I am quite jealous of actors or people in general with the wealth to afford to smoke and let it be known. Their professions don't frown upon it.

Sometimes it even makes for commercial promotion. I mean, when I heard Miley did saliva, I went out and had my friend spit in my mouth. Personally, I don't get it, but Miley did it, so it's KOOWEL, right? ZOMG.

... Lulz :rolleyes: