Across the Universe (song)

Gear

February 4, 2008 was the 40th anaversary of the day the Beatles recorded Across the Universe. On the anaversary day astrologists in Europe beamed the song to the Northern Star. It will not reach its destination for 491 years but when it does and if someone was there to hear it and had the means to do so (which was not the reason for the transmition, instead it was more of a thank you to the Northern Star for guiding us.) they would hear it exactly as we do because it was sent as a digital signal rather than a radio wave.

491 years from now you and I will be dead as well as the two remaining Beatles and, possibly, mankind. There is no guarantee that anyone will hear the song on acount of that area of space is not a prime chance of life in the Milky Way but someone may... But that doesn't matter. To me its good to hear that we're sending out and leaving behind a good message.

Matinee Idyll

Or, a race of creatures immesurably superior to ours will hear that tuneless, piece of crap song and be so offended they'll come to earth and wipe out humanity.

AngieAki

Matinee Idyll said:
Or, a race of creatures immesurably superior to ours will hear that tuneless, piece of crap song and be so offended they'll come to earth and wipe out humanity.
Oh aren't you just a ray of ****ing sunshine? :rolleyes:

And they can't all wipe out humanity if the world ends in 2012.

I think it is pretty silly if you ask me...

Gear

And what do you listen to Matinee Indyll? The Monkeys? Hannah Montana?

Actually Angie, the world wont end on 2012. Supposedly the world as we know it will. ;)

WhirlpoolGalaxyStarbirth.jpg

galaxy_lg.gif

mandelbrot-galaxy-wallpaper.jpg

Across the Universe

monkey

Matinee Idyll said:

M.I. You opened a can of worms with this post.

You dissed the Beatles.

Bad move on your part.

No disrespect,....in fact, I kind of respect your moxy for dissing the Beatles.....but....on the other hand....don't diss the Beatles..........OK?

Personally I suggest that you listen to the Beatles. Start with "Meet the Beatles", and then go from there.

If you listen to all the albums, one after the other up to "Abbey Road", it should take only......oh I don't know,.......about a year of continuous music,...and then you can make a more informative statement.

Kingsley

Ringo will still be alive in 491 years.

Must I prepare myself for something in 2012?
In that case I would have sent "Help" to the outer space ;)

monkey said:
M.I. You opened a can of worms with this post.

You dissed the Beatles.

Bad move on your part.

No disrespect,....in fact, I kind of respect your moxy for dissing the Beatles.....but....on the other hand....don't diss the Beatles..........OK?

Personally I suggest that you listen to the Beatles. Start with "Meet the Beatles", and then go from there.

If you listen to all the albums, one after the other up to "Abbey Road", it should take only......oh I don't know,.......about a year of continuous music,...and then you can make a more informative statement.

Quoth my friend:

1) its not "Meet The Beatles" **** Capitol Records and their re-sequencing.

2) you shouldn't even start with "Please Please Me."

3) Year?!?!?!? The total recorded output of the Beatles lasts 10 hours and 37 minutes.

Ok, enough of him, now for me.

A year?! A ****ing year?! Man, the Beatles were a relatively short-lived band. They didn't even make it out of the 60s. Prolific? Hardly. Popular? Of course.

Now were we talking Frank Zappa... then I might be a bit more forgiving... I've around 60 of the man's 75 or so albums and they only total just shy of 3 days worth of music.

So... what the hell are you on about?

metalinvader

Zappa=Amazing.Freak out! and Over-night Sensations are amazing records.

If anyone wants a REAL band..Listen to Led Zeppelin.None of those silly lullaby lyrics that the Beatles were only capable of writing (OB LA DI OB LA DA
anyone?) and best of all...No RINGO!THe Family Guy skit about Ringo really sums him up. Interesting fact,My first concert when I was 12 was infact Ringo Starr..He brought Jack Bruce from Cream along with him.Now,Cream..There was an amazing band from the 60's.Not some silly boy band with mop top hair cuts..

Last edited:
metalinvader said:
Zappa=Amazing.Freak out! and Over-night Sensations are amazing records.

If anyone wants a REAL band..Listen to Led Zeppelin.None of those silly lullaby lyrics that the Beatels were only capable of writing (OB LA DI OB LA DA
anyone?) and best of all...No RINGO!THe Family Guy skit about Ringo really sums him up. Interesting fact,My first concert when I was 12 was infact Ringo Starr..He brought Jack Bruce from Cream along with him.Now,Cream..There was an amazing band from the 60's.Not some silly boy band with mop top hair cuts..

Meh. Beatles > Led Zeppelin.

metalinvader

ResidentAlien said:
Meh. Beatles > Led Zeppelin.

Fighting words,My friend.Fighting words.;)

I'm thankful that someone on this board recognizes the talent of Frank Zappa and that there was more to the '60s then the Beatles.My dad's a huge Zappa fan.So I grew up with his music playing all the time.

AngieAki

gear guardian said:
Actually Angie, the world wont end on 2012. Supposedly the world as we know it will. ;)

Well duh... :rolleyes: I still am not going to believe it until **** starts hitting the fan around December of 2012 (isn't the date like December 23rd 2012)?

Gear

December 21, 2012.

Yeah, the Beatles sure wrote a whole lotta 'lulaby' music. Try putting your kid to sleep with HELTER SKELTER.

Nobody said they were the only good band of the 60's but they were probably the best and definently one of the best in history. Not just because of there music but because of how they influenced a generation.

metalinvader

Yeah, the Beatles sure wrote a whole lotta 'lulaby' music. Try putting your kid to sleep with HELTER SKELTER.

I said lyrically,Not musically.Though,Helter Skelter isn't known for it's groundbreaking lyrics,Just it's use of HEAVY distortion...Blisters on my fingers or not...

Gear

metalinvader said:
I said lyrically,Not musically.Though,Helter Skelter isn't known for it's groundbreaking lyrics,Just it's use of HEAVY distortion...Blisters on my fingers or not...

Even lyricaly they were noty for the 60's; "And from the first time that she really done me. Oh she done me. She done me good."

Oh WH-HY Dont we do it in the ROAD?!

metalinvader

Towards the end yeah,But it wasn't just the Beatles,The whole Rock/Music scene had changed then.People had,Thankfuly,Started to think outside of the box.

If you want lulaby lyrics simply look at the 'boy band years' of the Beatles.From "Please,Please Me" to "A Hard Days Night" Their lyrics were simple and pretty dull and were meant as silly pop songs.Even in alot of the later work lulaby lyrics showed up..
Now,I don't hate the Beatles at all.I love the White Album to be honest.I just think there are a whole lot of better bands from that era.

Last edited:

Kingsley

metalinvader said:
If you want lulaby lyrics simply look at the 'boy band years' of the Beatles.From "Please,Please Me" to "A Hard Days Night" Their lyrics were simple and pretty dull and were meant as silly pop songs.
Yeah, but after that, almost every song they did was a world on its own.
Probably there were better bands at that time, but the Beatles managed to put so many musical elements together in a "popular" way that you could take them as a reference for every band after them, even if they aren't.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
gear guardian said:
Oh WH-HY Dont we do it in the ROAD?!
Almost as romantic as "I'm gonna love her till the cows come home".

Big fan. I hope Apple and Apple can "come together" and sell some itunes.

monkey

ResidentAlien said:
the Beatles were a relatively short-lived band. They didn't even make it out of the 60s. Prolific? Hardly. QUOTE]

Prolific? Hardly.

Huh?????

OK.

Lennon/McCartney is perhaps the most prolific songwriting team of the 20th century.

The Beatles were THE most influential Rock and Roll band EVER.

Speaking as a huge fan of Frank Zappa I think you got it wrong about the Beatles ResidentAlien.

As one who experienced the sixties, and Beatlemania first hand, I'll excuse you, since you weren't there.

Tennessee Smith

FYI today is the anniversary of The Beatles first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show.... And as far as Ringo lasting 491 years... that should be Keith Richards instead. Heck, he's got enough drugs in his system he doesn't even need to be embalmed. He's the one that'll last with the cockroaches after any nuclear holocaust.

monkey said:
ResidentAlien said:
the Beatles were a relatively short-lived band. They didn't even make it out of the 60s. Prolific? Hardly. QUOTE]

Prolific? Hardly.

Huh?????

OK.

Lennon/McCartney is perhaps the most prolific songwriting team of the 20th century.

The Beatles were THE most influential Rock and Roll band EVER.

Speaking as a huge fan of Frank Zappa I think you got it wrong about the Beatles ResidentAlien.

As one who experienced the sixties, and Beatlemania first hand, I'll excuse you, since you weren't there.

I never said I didn't like The Beatles. And I made no faulty assertions. 10 and a half hours of musical output is hardly prolific. Were they popular and important? Sure, I won't deny either. But prolific isn't a word I'd use to describe them.