The Indiana Jones Timeline / Chronology

DIrishB

Crack that whip said:
DIrishB, if I may ask, what's your rationale for using the "new" Young Indy instead of the "old" one - simply that it's more current / up-to-date in reflecting Lucas' intentions, or something beyond that?

Thats exactly it. Its the newest version, a slightly re-imagined one, etc. Its also the only version readily available to fans, now. And since the DVD versions are obviously the official versions now, I chose to use those over the TV/Chronicles versions.

So anything not included on the DVDs (the bookends, a few other scenes that were cut for whatever reasons, etc) is no longer Indy canon.

Being a long-time comic reader, maybe I'm just more used to the idea of retconning than some people. ;)

DIrishB

JediPug1 said:
Whoah!!! Impressive timeline! Gonna take me a bit to fully digest all of that... ;) Nice work!! :hat:

Thanks, man.

I wonder if I can convince anyone to try and watch the DVDs, read the novels/comics, and play the video games/RPGs in chronological order...probably not, given the fact that some of those are very rare or hard to find. As well as the fact that I'm not sure there's such a thing as a timeline fan who's that devoted.

;)

Crack that whip

DIrishB said:
Thats exactly it. Its the newest version, a slightly re-imagined one, etc. Its also the only version readily available to fans, now. And since the DVD versions are obviously the official versions now, I chose to use those over the TV/Chronicles versions.

So anything not included on the DVDs (the bookends, a few other scenes that were cut for whatever reasons, etc) is no longer Indy canon.

Being a long-time comic reader, maybe I'm just more used to the idea of retconning than some people. ;)

Fair enough! I personally prefer to use the original chronology in my own "personal" Indy canon, but I still watch the DVDs, naturally.

I haven't yet checked out your Marvel chronology, BTW, but I'm duly impressed at the very idea, and look forward to seeing it when time permits.

DIrishB

Crack that whip said:
Fair enough! I personally prefer to use the original chronology in my own "personal" Indy canon, but I still watch the DVDs, naturally.

I'd almost prefer to use those, since it would solve a lot of the timeline glitches that Lucas' editing together of the episodes (for the DVD) created.

I haven't yet checked out your Marvel chronology, BTW, but I'm duly impressed at the very idea, and look forward to seeing it when time permits.

Enjoy! But just to be clear, its a timeline of Marvel's Ultimate universe. In case you're not familiar, the Ultimate line of comics is an imprint which features re-imagined characters/storylines from the regular Marvel universe. There are 3 ongoing titles: Ultimate Spider-Man, Ultimate X-Men, and Ultimate Fantastic Four, and a slew of mini-series.

If you like comics, check it out!

Plaristes

DIrishB said:

I'm a long time comic reader, too (since I was six years old; I'm 27 now :eek: ), but that doesn't mean I like unnecessary retcons (don't even get me started on the "turning Gwen Stacy into a skank" retcon). Couldn't the old Indy bookends be thought of as merely deleted scenes? Lucasfilm generally considers deleted scenes from the Star Wars films to be canon, to why not do the same for Old Indy?

Plaristes

DIrishB said:
Thanks, man.

I wonder if I can convince anyone to try and watch the DVDs, read the novels/comics, and play the video games/RPGs in chronological order...probably not, given the fact that some of those are very rare or hard to find. As well as the fact that I'm not sure there's such a thing as a timeline fan who's that devoted.

;)

Actually, I'm considering doing something like that. ;) I'm no gamer, so I won't be playing the games, and I don't have all the books yet (I'm still missing a couple "Find Your Fate" books, as well as some rpgs, most of the novelizations of the Young Indy episodes, and all but one of the French and German books), but I'm seriously considering trying to read everything straight through. I've loved the Indy movies since I was little, but it's only been since I learned about IJatKofCS last year that I became interested in Indy EU material.

DIrishB

Plaristes said:
Actually, I'm considering doing something like that. ;) I'm no gamer, so I won't be playing the games, and I don't have all the books yet (I'm still missing a couple "Find Your Fate" books, as well as some rpgs, most of the novelizations of the Young Indy episodes, and all but one of the French and German books), but I'm seriously considering trying to read everything straight through. I've loved the Indy movies since I was little, but it's only been since I learned about IJatKofCS last year that I became interested in Indy EU material.

Good luck! I tried to do it, but wasn't patient enough.

Plaristes

Plaristes said:
I'm a long time comic reader, too (since I was six years old; I'm 27 now :eek: ), but that doesn't mean I like unnecessary retcons (don't even get me started on the "turning Gwen Stacy into a skank" retcon). Couldn't the old Indy bookends be thought of as merely deleted scenes? Lucasfilm generally considers deleted scenes from the Star Wars films to be canon, to why not do the same for Old Indy?

Another point worth considering: I haven't read the novelizations of the Young Indy episodes, but I know that Old Indy appears in Dark Horse's comic adaptations. So, I'd still consider Old Indy to be canon (perhaps S-Canon). At the very least, if Dark Horse issues an omnibus edition of the Young Indy series, then I'd say Old Indy is still canon.

DIrishB

Plaristes said:
I'm a long time comic reader, too (since I was six years old; I'm 27 now ), but that doesn't mean I like unnecessary retcons (don't even get me started on the "turning Gwen Stacy into a skank" retcon). Couldn't the old Indy bookends be thought of as merely deleted scenes? Lucasfilm generally considers deleted scenes from the Star Wars films to be canon, to why not do the same for Old Indy?

I see them as different. Its one thing to reference a deleted scene or whatever, its another to sort of retcon out the existence of (very) Old Indy's bookends.

Another point worth considering: I haven't read the novelizations of the Young Indy episodes, but I know that Old Indy appears in Dark Horse's comic adaptations. So, I'd still consider Old Indy to be canon (perhaps S-Canon). At the very least, if Dark Horse issues an omnibus edition of the Young Indy series, then I'd say Old Indy is still canon.

I knew that, but I don't consider them canon now (post DVD and Crystal Skull release). Mainly, with the episodes and movies, I obviously consider those canon. With the adapted versions (the Marvel comic adaptations of the movies, the Young Indy comic adaptations of the show, novelization adaptations, etc), I consider only the original episodes/movies as canon. Since the comics adapt existing episodes, its redundant to include them, especially when they include material that now has apparently been retconned out by Lucas. The only exception to this is the Prologue to the Temple of Doom young adult novelization by Suzanne Weyn (that you pointed me to), where it features a completely new bit of story that doesn't necessarily contradict any existing canon material.

If Dark Horse does re-release their Young Indy comics, I'll try to work them in as taking place in 1992/1993, with the flashbacks to his youth dated in their respective places. But since they haven't (and I doubt they will) re-release them, I think its safe to say at this point that Lucas fully intended to "forget" the Old Indy bookends for the show and for all intents and purposes, this timeline is forced to as well (to fit with Lucas' "vision"--note the quotation marks ;) ).

Crack that whip

See, my understanding is that they were dropped not because Lucas doesn't necessarily consider them canon any longer, but simply because he felt they didn't work as well as he hoped, and thus he stopped including them (and later removed the ones that had already been shown) simply to make the shows / movies work better as shows / movies. I (and Stoo, AWK, tupogirl and certain other fans here, I trust) disagree, but IIRC, apparently he (and Rick McCallum) reached this conclusion based on viewer feedback, which would appear to bear the decision out - it seems a lot of viewers just didn't care for either the general idea of seeing a contemporary, 90-something Indy, Hall's portrayal specifically, or both.
:(

But that said, apparently nothing has been established (even internally at Lucasfilm) that says those bookends are actually non-canon; Lucas simply seems to think the framing sequences don't contribute much to the stories in the episodes, and thus has chosen to no longer have them be a part of the episodes. My (perhaps mistaken) impression is that the bookends aren't part of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones but are still a part of the Indiana Jones canon, in much the same way the scenes with Luke Skywalker, Biggs Darklighter and their friends on Tatooine aren't part of any released version of the specific movie Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope, but are still deemed part of the larger body of Star Wars lore.

DIrishB

Crack that whip said:
See, my understanding is that they were dropped not because Lucas doesn't necessarily consider them canon any longer, but simply because he felt they didn't work as well as he hoped, and thus he stopped including them (and later removed the ones that had already been shown) simply to make the shows / movies work better as shows / movies. I (and Stoo, AWK, tupogirl and certain other fans here, I trust) disagree, but IIRC, apparently he (and Rick McCallum) reached this conclusion based on viewer feedback, which would appear to bear the decision out - it seems a lot of viewers just didn't care for either the general idea of seeing a contemporary, 90-something Indy, Hall's portrayal specifically, or both.
:(

But that said, apparently nothing has been established (even internally at Lucasfilm) that says those bookends are actually non-canon; Lucas simply seems to think the framing sequences don't contribute much to the stories in the episodes, and thus has chosen to no longer have them be a part of the episodes. My (perhaps mistaken) impression is that the bookends aren't part of The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones but are still a part of the Indiana Jones canon, in much the same way the scenes with Luke Skywalker, Biggs Darklighter and their friends on Tatooine aren't part of any released version of the specific movie Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope, but are still deemed part of the larger body of Star Wars lore.

The fact that Lucas didn't include the Old Indy bookends, or attempt to edit them in some way into a cohesive "epilogue" to the Indy mythos with the DVDs says it all. If still considered canon, I'm sure he would've included them as a bonus feature with the extensive other features on the DVDs. This to me seems to indicate the bookends are being done away with entirely.

I'm not saying thats the case, but merely the way I currently see it. If in some future Young Indy DVD release Lucas and company decide to include them, I'll definitly add them to the timeline.

DIrishB

Reading IJ & the Philosopher's Stone...the prologue starts in March, 1933 (which I have it marked as taking place), but notice that certain historical events extend it to taking place from March to August (at least), 1933. The historical event I'm referring to is Italo Balbo's crossing of the Atlantic (which occurred from July - August, 1933). I've fixed that, and will post a new, updated version of the timeline once I've finished the McCoy novels.

DIrishB

The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - My First Adventure (May - July, 1908)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Passion For Life (September, 1908)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - The Perils of Cupid (November, 1908)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Travels with Father (January, 1910)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Journey of Radiance (January - March, 1910)
"Indy in China: The Runaway Adventure" (March, 1910)
Young Indiana Jones and the Titanic Adventure (April, 1912)
Young Indiana Jones and the Pirates' Loot (June, 1912)
Young Indiana Jones and the Lost Gold of Durango (July, 1912)
Indiana Jones Jr et le Fantôme du Klondike (July, 1912)
Indiana Jones Jr et l'Ampoule Radioactive (November, 1912)
Indiana Jones Jr et le Météorite Sacrée (March, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Plantation Treasure (April, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Tomb of Terror (June, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Princess of Peril (June, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Mountains of Superstition (July, 1913)
Indiana Jones Jr et l'Enfant Lama (August, 1913)
Indiana Jones Jr et le Violon du Metropolitan (September, 1913)
Indiana Jones Jr et le Triangle des Bermudes (September, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Ghostly Riders (October, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Circle of Death (December, 1913)
Young Indiana Jones and the Journey to the Underworld (January, 1914)
Young Indiana Jones and the Curse of the Ruby Cross (March, 1914)
Young Indiana Jones and the Gypsy Revenge (May, 1914)
Young Indiana Jones and the Secret City (June, 1914)
Young Indiana Jones and the Mountain of Fire (October, 1914)
Young Indiana Jones and the Face of the Dragon (October, 1914)
Young Indiana Jones and the Eye of the Tiger (December, 1914)
Indiana Jones Jr et le Spectre de Venise (January, 1915)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Spring Break Adventure (February - March, 1916)
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles - Mid Atlantic, April 1916 (April, 1916)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Love's Sweet Song (April - May, 1916)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Trenches of Hell (August - September, 1916)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Demons of Deception (September - October, 1916)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Phantom Train of Doom (November, 1916)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Oganga, the Giver and Taker of Life (December, 1916 - January, 1917)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Attack of the Hawkmen (February - March, 1917)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Adventures in the Secret Service (March, 1917)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Espionage Escapades (April, 1917)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Daredevils of the Desert (April - November, 1917)
Instruments of Chaos Starring Young Indiana Jones (November, 1917)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Tales of Innocence (November, 1917 - June, 1918)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Masks of Evil (September, 1918)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Treasure of the Peacock's Eye (November, 1918 - January, 1919)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Winds of Change (May, 1919)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Mystery of the Blues (April - May, 1920 [1950])
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Scandal of 1920 (June - July, 1920)
The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones - Hollywood Follies (August, 1920)

DIrishB

Indiana Jones and the Peril at Delphi ([1920] October, 1922)
Indiana Jones et le Secret de la Pyramide (April, 1923)
Indiana Jones and the Dance of the Giants (June, 1925)
Indiana Jones and the Seven Veils ([1925] March - April, 1926)
Indiana Jones Adventures RPG - "On Ice" (August, 1926)
Indiana Jones and the Genesis Deluge ([1917] April, 1927)
Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy ([1786 - 1924] May - June, 1928)
Indiana Jones and the Interior World ([1928] April, 1929)
Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates (January, 1930)
Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates and Other Tales RPG - "The Revenge of Evil" (January, 1930)
Indiana Jones and the White Witch (February, 1930)
Indiana Jones and His Desktop Adventures (June, 1930)
Indiana Jones et la Cité de la Foudre (October, 1930)
Indiana Jones Adventures, Vol. 1 (December, 1930)
Indiana Jones und die Gefiederte Schlange (July, 1932)
Indiana Jones Adventures RPG - "The Kweichow Exodus" (June, 1933)
Indiana Jones and the Curse of Horror Island (June, 1933)
Indiana Jones and the Giants of the Silver Tower (July, 1933)
Indiana Jones and the Philosopher's Stone ([March] July - August, 1933)
Indiana Jones and the Dinosaur Eggs (October - December, 1933)
Indiana Jones and the Hollow Earth (February, 1934)
Indiana Jones and the Cult of the Mummy's Crypt (June, 1934)
Indiana Jones and the Secret of the Sphinx (September, 1934)
Indiana Jones and the Shrine of the Sea Devil #1 (January, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Rising Sun RPG (February, 1935)
Indiana Jones Adventures RPG - "The Carlisle Incident" (March, 1935)
Indiana Jones Adventures RPG - "The City of Dreams" (May, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Cup of the Vampire (May, 1935)
Indiana Jones Adventure - Temple of the Forbidden Eye (June, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom - "Prologue" (July, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Sky Pirates and Other Tales RPG - "The Adventure of the Second Horn" (September, 1935)
Indiana Jones - Magic & Mysticism: The Dark Continent RPG (September, 1935)
Indiana Jones in the Lost Kingdom (October, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (November, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom RPG - "The Search for Nurhachi" (December, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (December, 1935)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom RPG - "Day of the Dark Light" (May, 1936)
Indiana Jones and the Legion of Death (May, 1936)
Indiana Jones et le Grimoire Maudit (June, 1936)
Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Gods #1-4 ([1931] July, 1936)
Raiders of the Lost Ark RPG - "Silver Horus" (August, 1936)
Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (August, 1936)
Indiana Jones in Revenge of the Ancients (September, 1936)
The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones #1-34 (October, 1936 - January, 1937)
The World of Indiana Jones RPG - "The Jewel of the Ancients" (January, 1937)
Indiana Jones and the Tomb of the Templars RPG (February, 1937)
Indiana Jones and the Golden Vampires RPG (March, 1937)
"Indiana Jones and the Wrath of Hecate" RPG - Shadis #36 (May, 1937)
"Indiana Jones and the Temple of Seth" RPG - Cryptych Vol. 2, #1 (June, 1937)
"Legend of the Long Knife" RPG - Adventures Unlimited #3 (July, 1937)
Indiana Jones and the Eye of the Fates (August, 1937)
Indiana Jones and the Arms of Gold #1-4 (October, 1937)
"Tomb of Turases III" RPG - Shadis #17 (October, 1937)
Indiana Jones and the Dragon of Vengeance (June, 1938)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade ([1912] August, 1938)
Indiana Jones - Thunder in the Orient #1-6 (September, 1938)
Indiana Jones and the Gold of Genghis Khan (November, 1938)
Indiana Jones and the Lost Treasure of Sheba (December, 1938)
Indiana Jones und das Schiff der Götter (March, 1939)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (May, 1939)
Indiana Jones and the Ape Slaves of Howling Island (July, 1939)
Indiana Jones and the Mask of the Elephant (August, 1939)
Indiana Jones and the Sargasso Pirates #1-4 (September, 1939)
Indiana Jones und das Erbe von Avalon (September, 1940)
Indiana Jones and the Golden Fleece #1-2 (April, 1941)
Indiana Jones und das Labyrinth des Horus (May, 1941)
Indiana Jones und das Schwert des Dschingis Khan (June, 1941)
Indiana Jones und das Gold von El Dorado (June, 1941)
Indiana Jones und das Geheimnis der Osterinseln (October, 1941)
Indiana Jones und das Verschwundene Volk (August, 1943)
Indiana Jones and the Treasure of Monte Cassana (January, 1944)
Indiana Jones and the Spear of Destiny #1-4 ([1938] March, 1945)
Indiana Jones and the Iron Phoenix #1-4 (September, 1946)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine: Official Strategy Guide - "Introduction, Barnett College, 1947" (March, 1947)
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (March, 1947)
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (May, 1957)
The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (Old Indy Bookends) (March, 1992 - July, 1993)

Last edited:

DIrishB

Posted an updated version...nothing major, just some minor re-arrangements and fixed a few dates. Most notable, I've included the Old Indy bookends from the Young Indy Chronicles. I was reluctant to do so at first, but considering my timeline is an attempt to be as comprehensive as possible, it made no sense not to include them. So, there they are.

The idea is that the Adventures of YIJ (the DVD versions release) happen between 1908-1920, and the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (and bookends) actually occur in 1992-1993, with Indy merely flashing back to the events of 1908-1920.

Last edited:

Plaristes

DIrishB said:
The idea is that the Adventures of YIJ (the DVD versions release) happen between 1908-1920, and the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (and bookends) actually occur in 1992-1993, with Indy merely flashing back to the events of 1908-1920.

That's a really cool way to look at it. I wish I'd thought of that. :eek:

DIrishB

Plaristes said:
That's a really cool way to look at it. I wish I'd thought of that. :eek:

I just hope at some point we get a Young Indy release which includes all those Old Indy bookends.

Crack that whip

There were, of course, a handful of official commercial releases of portions of the series in isolated regions back in the day, but nothing really comprehensive, of course. I, too, pine for official releases, but given the work Lucas(film) put into the revisions and the lower general interest in any version of the show (compared to the four feature films, or any Star Wars project), I must admit I'm not wildly optimistic.

DIrishB

Crack that whip said:
There were, of course, a handful of official commercial releases of portions of the series in isolated regions back in the day, but nothing really comprehensive, of course. I, too, pine for official releases, but given the work Lucas(film) put into the revisions and the lower general interest in any version of the show (compared to the four feature films, or any Star Wars project), I must admit I'm not wildly optimistic.

I'm not optimisitic about it any time soon either...but I think chances are eventually a version featuring the Old Indy bookends will be released (mainly due to the growing trend of having several different versions of a given movie, etc). Least I hope so.

DIrishB

After some further translating and research (thanks to Stoo), I learned the foreign Indy comic tale City de la Foudre takes place during Ghandi's "Salt March", which occurred between March 16 - April 6, 1930. Given that the majority of the "Salt March" occurred in the month of March of 1930, I placed the tale in that month (instead of April). This will be reflected in the next posting of the timeline.