Shia LaBeouf

Z dweller

"I probably coulda gone lighter on Spielberg. That was probably something I should?ve backed off of, but my feelings are real. Dude gave me a lot of opportunities, though. And that?s on me."

loser-2.ashx

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Z dweller said:
"I probably coulda gone lighter on Spielberg. That was probably something I should?ve backed off of, but my feelings are real. Dude gave me a lot of opportunities, though. And that?s on me."

loser-2.ashx

I don't get that reaction. It's been years, plenty of time for him to feel legitimate regret and remorse about how things went.

Z dweller

Attila the Professor said:
I don't get that reaction. It's been years, plenty of time for him to feel legitimate regret and remorse about how things went.
Half xxxed regret does not erase hubris, in my book.

He was, and still is, an attention-seeking egomanic, with modest acting talent.

He'll be running for president one day, mark my words. :p

Gear

LaBeouf makes a better target than the Arab Swordsman.
I usually don't side with establishment, but I'm seein' more with Attilla on this one. Don't forget, Shia' s been messed with by Hollywood since things were Even Steven.

Joe Brody

Fury proved to me LaBeouf's adult talent -- and when you tack on his purported exceptional performance in Man Down, you cannot dismiss LaBeouf out of hand.

LaBeouf may be no Brando -- but he's certainly more than a Val Kilmer.

As for Spielberg, I've taken issue with him before and believe he lets his personal life (and personal agendas) mess with his films. I don't know who Spielberg was trying to stick it to more with what he did with KotCS: Lucas, the fans or LaBeouf, but I believe he was sticking it to someone -- all while having quality time with his family during the shooting.

That said, I'll say this about LaBeouf -- especially given his at-times erratic behavior post KotCS: continue to man-the-F-up.

No Marlon Brando, Harrison Ford or even James Dean would have done some of the (frankly) absurd stuff he was asked to do for KotCS (vine swinging etc.) -- especially bearing in mind that by the time LaBeouf shot KotCS, he was no newbie. So he shoulda walked (from KoTCS) -- career consequences be damned.

I'm glad to see that he's starting to own up to some of his past criticisms of Spielberg -- it would be great to see Spielberg step up a little himself.

Last edited:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
I'm glad to see that he's starting to own up to some of his past criticisms of Spielberg -- it would be great to see Spielberg step up a little himself.

I really like the cut of your jib.

Makes rereading This Article all the more poignant:

Joe Brody

Shia, Shia, Shia . . .

We love you buddy -- vine swinging and Uncle Steve slamming notwithstanding -- so if you need help on the protest front, check in with us instead of your artsy pals, y'hear?

AustrianGoodbye

Gear said:
Hahaha.. The flag needed a Safe Space.

Shia is a washed up actor with great potential, Fury was his best film.

He should stay out of politics and stick to being a role model.

His "Just DO IT" video is evidence how far this apple fell from the tree...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
AustrianGoodbye said:
He should stay out of politics and stick to being a role model.

I suspect he thinks those two don't really go together, though I also don't think he's interested in being a role model type. He hasn't been in the past.

Last edited:

Raiders90

Joe Brody said:
As for Spielberg, I've taken issue with him before and believe he lets his personal life (and personal agendas) mess with his films. I don't know who Spielberg was trying to stick it to more with what he did with KotCS: Lucas, the fans or LaBeouf, but I believe he was sticking it to someone -- all while having quality time with his family during the shooting.

Can you elaborate on this point please?

In so far as:

1) What do you mean by "what he did with KOTCS"?
2) What makes you think he was trying to "stick it" to someone
3) Stick what, precisely? Are you suggesting that he had a certain bitterness about doing the film - a conscious or subconscious passive-aggressiveness about having to make a film he didn't want to make?
4) If it follows that he was trying to "stick it" or prove some point to someone, how did he do it to Lucas? Since in the end by agreeing to direct the film he basically acceded to Lucas' wishes in terms of the direction for a fourth film; how did he do it to the fans, when in making the film he acceded to most of the fanbase's desire for more;
5) Lastly, how did he stick it to Shia? Casting him in Indy, vine swinging scenes aside, only helped his wallet and his career by co-starring in what was - fan reaction aside - a blockbuster film.

Joe Brody

Raiders112390 said:
Can you elaborate on this point please?

In so far as:

1) What do you mean by "what he did with KOTCS"?
2) What makes you think he was trying to "stick it" to someone
3) Stick what, precisely? Are you suggesting that he had a certain bitterness about doing the film - a conscious or subconscious passive-aggressiveness about having to make a film he didn't want to make?
4) If it follows that he was trying to "stick it" or prove some point to someone, how did he do it to Lucas? Since in the end by agreeing to direct the film he basically acceded to Lucas' wishes in terms of the direction for a fourth film; how did he do it to the fans, when in making the film he acceded to most of the fanbase's desire for more;
5) Lastly, how did he stick it to Shia? Casting him in Indy, vine swinging scenes aside, only helped his wallet and his career by co-starring in what was - fan reaction aside - a blockbuster film.

Let me re-watch Munich and get back to you. Put simply, I assume (extreme) negative intent when a guy goes from making a film like Munich to the steaming pile that is KotCS. Though I do like the way you put #3 -- I don't think i can say it much better (and I would say Spielberg was acting consciously).

Pale Horse said:
Shia thriller sells ONE ticket

Come on kiddo, get it together.

The article overlooked Fury but agreed.

Raiders90

Joe Brody said:
Let me re-watch Munich and get back to you. Put simply, I assume (extreme) negative intent when a guy goes from making a film like Munich to the steaming pile that is KotCS. Though I do like the way you put #3 -- I don't think i can say it much better (and I would say Spielberg was acting consciously).

The article overlooked Fury but agreed.

I still don't get why you'd blame Spielberg. It wasn't THAT bad of a film IMO. But Spielberg didn't write the script. He just realized the clock was ticking on making an Indy film with Harrison, realized George would never budge on his idea, and signed on for the fans' sake. He didn't really HAVE to do KOTCS if he didn't want to, I mean, it wouldn't have killed him or his career to not direct an Indy movie...He could've easily been an executive producer, sat back and said "Okay George, do your thing, but I'm not directing it." He could have easily really stuck it to Lucas by not directing it, because then Lucas would've taken the full blame for KOTCS' weaknesses. Instead, you have South Park showing both Spielberg AND Lucas raping Indy. I don't think Steven was spiteful enough to cut off his own nose just to spite George. He just made do what with he could in a situation that he didn't want to be in. If you recall, he even defended George publicly by saying that some of the less-desired elements like the nuclear fridge were his idea, not George's. If I'm feeling passive-aggressive, and I'm wanting to screw over someone, I'm not going to defend them and drag myself through the mud while doing so. Makes no sense.

While I do think Spielberg did feel a bit resentful toward Lucas and just kind of put up his hands and said 'whatever' I don't think he purposefully sabotaged the film. I think he just the least amount of effort on his part, and viewed it as a vacation with his family. But even if Spielberg had put 1000% of his effort in, I don't think KOTCS would've been so much different. The script was going to be the same regardless because it's what George wanted it to be, and the script is the film's weak point I feel. And at the time, George had the final word. He turned down what I feel was a much superior script (City of Gods) that Steven actually really loved. What could Steven really do at that point? He didn't want to let the fans down but at the same time I don't think he wanted to be there. It was a tough position to be in. Lose-lose, really.

Last edited:

Kai Hagen

Raiders112390 said:
It wasn't THAT bad of a film IMO.
The vine swinging and the domestic dispute ruined what was supposed to be a tense action scene. I lost interest in the movie after that as all the suspense with the villains were gone away. Maybe I'll remember the good parts if I watch it again.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
This year's other tennis movie, not about Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs, is Borg/McEnroe. Shia gets to yell "the ball was on the line!"

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
In Savannah, Georgia filming "The Peanut Butter Falcon."

TMZ has an odd little video of Shia and his handlers who walk the line between doing anything and getting fired.

http://www.tmz.com/2017/07/08/shia-labeouf-arrested-disorderly-conduct-drunk-public
Cops say early Saturday morning, Shia approached someone for a cigarette. When the person said no, they say he started swearing in front of women and kids. He was told to leave but refused and became aggressive toward an officer. When the cop tried to arrest Shia, the actor ran to a nearby hotel. He was arrested in the lobby and continued being unruly.