If You Like Indiana Jones, You Might Like...

Montana Smith

ddschneider1972 said:
Sort of but without the supernatural elements. He does spend a little time talking about the Nazi beliefs in the items, but it's more of a a well documented account of the US officers actual recovery of the artifacts. The Spear of Destiny was actually left behind in the Nuremburg vault, and only the Crown Jewels were taken, which was part of the mystery, because Hitler and Himmler revered and coveted the Spear, but left it behind, taking only the Robes, Swords, Cross and orb, the objects used in the Coronation ceremony. The thinking was that they planned to use them as a rallying point in creating the Fourth Reich.

One thing that struck me while reading, was that Himmler really wanted the Spear, he had an exact replica in Wewelsburg, and the Master Site Plan of what was to be his "Center of the World" was based on a diagram of a spear, with the castle as the point. Then they leave the Spear and it's been documented that Himmler had a hidden safe in the castle that went missing after the war...

I'm visiting the bunker the art was hidden in at Nuremburg and the Castle in July, maybe I can have my own Indy adventure, lol.

It's certainly an interesting story, and perfect territory for the Indiana Jones movie we should have seen before we got to KOTCS.

I get wary when authors, such as Ravenscroft did in Spear of Destiny (which was originally written as a novel, but then marketed as history), claim that Hitler was into holy relics and such. That was the preserve of Himmler who had some very strange beliefs, which he enacted out at Wewelsburg.

Be sure to report back on your findings at Nuremberg!

DeepSixFix

kongisking said:
I love James Rollins' book Amazonia. A great Indy-esque adventure. Another excellent one by him is Excavation, which is kinda Da Vinci Code mixed with Indy.
JR's books are popular and intricately plotted. But my beef with Rollins is that he has a danger-seeking archaeologist named "Omaha Dunn." It just sounds like a Mad Magazine gag on Indy. I know Indiana Jones was cribbed from Nevada Smith, but come on. Omaha? I can't get past it.

teampunk said:
the ruins(film). only if you like horror, but starts off as an adventure for a lost mayan ruin and then things go very wrong when they find it.
Didn't see the film but did read the book, it was a good read. Stephen King called it his favorite book of that year. I would have liked to see Indiana Jones face those ruins for sure.

emtiem

KarmicCurse said:
I posted about David Grann's book "The Lost City of Z", about real life Amazon explorer Percy Fawcett, earlier in this thread before having read it. Having just finished it I can very highly recommend it as one of the most intensely gripping, suspenseful and fascinating non-fiction books I have ever read.

Hasn't Brad Pitt just made the movie of this? Sounds like good material!

Goonie

Maybe add Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time to the list? Saw it tonight and a few scenes were very Indy-esque.

Billy Ray

I would highly recommend the Gabriel Hunt series to any Indy fan. While set in the modern day, they have a very Indy feel to them. Gabriel Hunt is a wealthy explorer/finder of lost antiquities/man of action. Most of his adventures take a turn for the supernatural. I have read all of them so far (just finished the latest offering, Beyond the Frozen Fire) and have enjoyed every single one of them.

The Drifter

Billy Ray said:
I would highly recommend the Gabriel Hunt series to any Indy fan. While set in the modern day, they have a very Indy feel to them. Gabriel Hunt is a wealthy explorer/finder of lost antiquities/man of action. Most of his adventures take a turn for the supernatural. I have read all of them so far (just finished the latest offering, Beyond the Frozen Fire) and have enjoyed every single one of them.

I want these books, but have not had the chance to order them yet.

teampunk

the show Burn Notice. more james bondish, but still might be enjoyable to Indiana Jones fans. also, Dexter. not really Indiana jone ish, but really, really good.

kongisking

teampunk said:
the ruins(film). only if you like horror, but starts off as an adventure for a lost mayan ruin and then things go very wrong when they find it.

Holy Christ. Great novel, surprisingly well-done film. Though it seems like a stretch that Indy fans would like it just based on the fact that it concerns archaeology in the most subtle sense. Still, both are excellent.

teampunk

just watched a new show on National Geo Channel called Chasing Mummies where a film crew fallowed the head Egyptologist around for six months. pretty good show.

Matt deMille

I have to repeat what a few others have mentioned . . . the Pirates of the Caribbean series. I've always seen this series as "the new Indiana Jones". The only different is the soul of the lead character. Indiana Jones is a die-hard, whilst Jack Sparrow is a trickster, a Bugs Bunny sort of character, and that's a big difference in the "feel" of the film. Indy overcomes obstacles in unpredictable ways through raw courage, grit, and crazy ideas. Jack Sparrow overcomes things by devious means, thinking ahead (whereas Indy is always in OVER his head), and crazy ideas. So, really, the only commonality they have is crazy ideas. Maybe that's enough, when you factor in how much the rest of their movies are so similar in spirit. I know when they were making the original Pirates, their intent was to make "Raiders of the Lost Ark at sea". And I'd say they succeeded.

Lao_Che

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zjm9gAjgRuU&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zjm9gAjgRuU&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0uBXme4GgcQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0uBXme4GgcQ&hl=en_GB&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>