National Geographic Adventure of Archaeology Exhibition

emtiem

I hope this makes it to the UK eventually! I'd love to see the Ark up close. I'm sure one of those big touring Star Wars ones came to London a few years back; only right given Indy's and Star Wars' ties here I suppose! :)

Le Saboteur

In case you hadn't noticed, the people behind the Adventure of Archeology exhibit Facebook page have name dropped The Raven on their page! It'll be interesting to see if there's a new influx of people to the site...

I say there's a good chance that this exhibit will ultimately become a traveling event. With Lucasfilm and National Geographic as co-sponsors, I suspect it'll hit the NYC and/or DC metro area and the San Francisco Bay Area at the very least. And while not as reassuring as, say, a list of official stops, the trailer at least indicates that they want it to become a worldwide tour.

So at least there's that.

NOT their first Rodeo...

ILM Models on Display in Chicago
June 01, 2004

If you've ever wanted to get up close to a careening mine car, a decaying Donavan, the Ark of the Covenant or other amazing models from the artists of Industrial Light & Magic, the windy city offers such an opportunity. Now playing at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago is Action! An Adventure in Moviemaking, a special exhibit showcasing some of ILM's most famous models.

5216858613_52ea093669_z.jpg

Among the Indiana Jones models and props on display are:

The miniature mine cars and puppets from Temple of Doom

5216858435_983b668c20_z.jpg

The Ark of the Covenant from Raiders of the Lost Ark

5216857071_c4eb560eff_z.jpg

The disintegrating Walter Donavan puppet from The Last Crusade

5216857453_02deb2604d_z.jpg

and others.

The 12,000-square foot exhibit includes a section entitled "Meet the Moviemakers," presenting an inside look at the filmmaking process told by top professionals in the field. "The Sound Stage Experience" takes museum guests right into the action of a movie sound stage, on three live sets where scenes are being shot. Finally, the postproduction process is illuminated in a screening room detailing the editing and mixing of a movie, with Skywalker Sound lending its expertise to the exhibit.

The Museum of Science and Industry is one of the most visited museums in the world. It is on 57th Street and Lake Shore Drive in Chicago. It is open every day of the year, except December 25. Hours are 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Saturday, and 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sundays. For more information about the Museum, visit the official website here

Liberty Science Center, Jersey City, NJ
May 28, 2005 - Sept 5, 2005

Carnegie Science Center, Pittsburgh, PA
Oct 1, 2005 - May 21, 2006

Discovery Place, Charlotte, NC
June 24, 2006 - January 7, 2007

Available bookings
through 2009

Stoo

Dang it, I've been back home for a month but have been too busy visiting family & friends to stop by the Science Centre to see if there's any promo literature and am leaving tomorrow. Sorry, folks!:(
Le Saboteur said:
In case you hadn't noticed, the people behind the Adventure of Archeology exhibit Facebook page have name dropped The Raven on their page! It'll be interesting to see if there's a new influx of people to the site...
Way cool that The Raven was mentioned but it looks like one of the X3 Productions employees decided to join Indy Lounge instead.:mad: She's looking for Montreal Indy fans so maybe I'll join the Indy Lounge just to contact her (and tell her to join The Raven)!:whip:

Among other things, she (indyexhibition) has confirmed that the Ark and the crystal skull prop will be on display (see: Moedred's link below).
Moedred said:
Today (regarding the fact that the exhibit won't be touring the States) someone wrote this:
jedimastered said:
there has always been a bit of a disliking of Americans from Quebec.. not saying that's why but it's insane to not have it here.
Urgh. If he's "not saying that's why", then why is he saying it?:rolleyes:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Dang it, I've been back home for a month but have been too busy visiting family & friends to stop by the Science Centre to see if there's any promo literature and am leaving tomorrow. Sorry, folks!:(

Way to go, Stoo. Putting family and friends ahead of the mission again! :p

Stoo said:
Way cool that The Raven was mentioned but it looks like one of the X3 Productions employees decided to join Indy Lounge instead.:mad: She's looking for Montreal Indy fans so maybe I'll join the Indy Lounge just to contact her (and tell her to join The Raven)!:whip:

The Indy Lounge is a horrible looking site. I had a quick look and it was a relief to come back here to the signature free warm colours of The Raven. Take off the pith helmet and sneak in to lure her out. She'll be much happier here. ;)

Stoo

Well, I registered to the Indy Lounge 2 days ago and asked Mrs. Indyexhibition to come join us here. No word yet but let's hope she accepts the invitation.

Family & friends above the mission? Why, of course! What kind of man do you think I am?:p

(The quote from jedimastered which I posted above was removed from the thread! Nonetheless, it did spark a heated conversation.)

Stoo

To tell you the truth, Smiffy, I don't like the style of Belloq's helmet.:p

O.K. Screw any news about that dork in the bat suit and all the general film & video game B.S., Indy is coming to La Belle Ville de Montréal! Only 3 months to go so everyone get your tuchus in gear!:whip:

IndyExhibit_01.jpg

The Indiana Jones Exhibition

sphinx_header.jpg

Many staff members here are geeking out about the Indiana Jones Exhibition opening in Montreal in April.

Penn Museum will be loaning many of the real artifacts that will be on display in this exhibition. We are all giddy about seeing them in the context of such a classic movie. The Museum is always abuzz whenever Hollywood even winks in the direction of archaeology or anthropology or even museology (Night at the Museum). Plus, sometimes we get free promotional shwag! The whole Indiana Jones phenomenon had an especially profound effect on many of my Penn Museum colleagues. I asked a few of my co-workers to share their Indy reflections and anecdotes. Here’s what they had to say:

Bea: Membership

Elsa-and-Indy.jpg

1) I won a Halloween costume contest as Dr. Elsa Schneider from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Chris was Indiana so we were quite the pair. I even made a grail and a grail diary and loved every minute of it. The grail kinda sucked so I threw it out, but the hand drawn copy of the grail diary was a keeper.

2) My cell phone ring is the theme song to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

3) I grew up listening to movie theme music with my dad so I knew the music to all three movies before I even understood what they were about. I remember not liking Marion as a character because I didn’t like her theme music. I’ve since learned better and can enjoy her character for more than just the tune.

4) Quotes from the movies permeate my everyday life. Like the Simpsons, Indy has something so say in every situation that is clever and pithy.

Stoo

Mickiana, keep your fingers crossed. Some of the planned stops are in the 'Asia-Pacific' region so they could include Oz.

On this week's IndyCast, Ed Dolista mentioned that an exhibit spokesperson, Kim Belair, will be on the next show. Maybe she'll have some new info.

Wondering if Ms. Kim Belair is the same gal who is posting at the Indy Lounge forum, I just looked her up on Facebook a minute ago...Lo & behold, to my complete and utter amazement, in her profile photo she is wearing a FREAKING PITH HELMET just like one of of mine! I HAVE to meet this chick!!!!!!:D :D :D

Don't mean to sound like a stalker but I'm convinced it's the same Kim (and the same person who is at the Indy Lounge). A marketing major from Montreal...

Stoo said:
On this week's IndyCast, Ed Dolista mentioned that an exhibit spokesperson, Kim Belair, will be on the next show. Maybe she'll have some new info.
Can't wait to hear what she has to say...hope the conversation mentions the other tours and maybe we'll get an audio tour with some of the actors?!

Stoo

@Harvey: No idea on the artist. Good question, though. Ms. Belair may know (or be able to find out).

@Mickiana: While I'd imagine most of the other 11 stops will make up the European leg of the tour, it would surprising if the exhibit didn't go to Australia as there is obviously a fan base 'Down Under'. (Speaking of Oz, through my job I've met many Aussies and have never come across one I didn't like. Wonderful people.:hat:)
Rocket Surgeon said:
Can't wait to hear what she has to say...hope the conversation mentions the other tours and maybe we'll get an audio tour with some of the actors?!
Knowing the other cities is probably the BIGGEST question on everyone's mind. Really looking forward to hearing the interview! I should ask Ed how he got in touch with her because I'd like to do the same.

The female poster (K.Belair?) at the Indy Lounge who goes by the name of, 'indyexhibition', still hasn't replied there in awhile.:( Here's a photo she took at the press conference:

IndyExhibit_02.jpg

Mickiana

If it came to Australia, I'd still be hoping for it to come to my home town, Brisbane. Sydney, while not the capital of Australia, is the most populous city here and with Melbourne are the two most likely places to host international tours and events. Brisbane is 1000 km north of Sydney so it is only a two hour plane flight. Sydney's a great place to make a weekend of.... And yes, us Aussies are a great bunch. Australia is like a microcosm of the world but without many of the troubles.

Stoo

New Website Design & Extras

Well, I'm all set to return home to Montreal for a little while and will be attending this thing at the 1st available chance. Opening day is 2 weeks away! Woo-hoo! STOKED.(y)

The official website for the exhibit has been completely changed and updated with many new videos, wallpapers, etc. Unfortunately, the "More Cities" link doesn't show anything new but there are *11* empty slots in place, waiting to be filled in...

http://www.indianajonestheexhibition.com/home.html

One of the downloadable wallpapers:

IndyExhibit_03small.jpg

In another thread, Goonie posted a link to a CNN news article that contained some more info. 30 years on, 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' inspires real adventures

Here's the appropriate bit:
"As a teacher, I would ask my students, 'How many of you were influenced by Indiana Jones films?'" said Fred Hiebert, an archaeology fellow with National Geographic. "Everyone in the class would raise their hands."

Hiebert is the co-curator of "Indiana Jones and the Adventure of Archaeology," an exhibition that makes its worldwide debut at the Montreal Science Centre from April 28 through September 19 and then moves on to other international locations. His enthusiasm for Indy, and the exhibition, is infectious.

The exhibition "has an incredible array of movie props from the films. It's got a lot of the designs and paintings and artwork behind the making of these films," he said. "And, we not only have almost 100 incredible treasures from around the world, but we also have the archaeologist's drawings and techniques they use to investigate the past. You get to see what was in the minds of the filmmakers, and the archaeologists."

Aside from the "Indy" versions of the Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail, there is a lot in the exhibit for hardcore fans of archaeology as well. "We have a clay tablet with a map of a Mesopotamian city, one of the world's oldest maps," Hiebert said. "We have a fragment of a pot made 6,000 years ago, with the oldest representation of wine. We have a whole series of gorgeous prescribed pots from South America, and the first video of a scholar reading a scene from a stela, in a language no one has spoken for hundreds of years."

Hiebert said he hopes that with this exhibition, "People will enter the door as Indiana Jones and they will exit very inspired about archaeology. We want to inspire as many people as possible about science."