Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

monkey

In regards to Peru 1936 Video:

(slightly) funny video clip.

Actually it is incorrect, in that President Obama IS actually ENDING the War in Iraq.

YES, he is actually DOING that!!

Post as many video clips as you want, but President Obama is changing the world for the better.

I can't believe the negativity in this forum towards the movement to world peace and understanding.

Frankly makes me wonder about the people here.

Last edited:

monkey

Robyn said:
And the childish insults begin yet again....

As usual, Robin, you have absolutely NOTHING to add to the discussion.

Your posts consist of quoting others, and then adding NOTHING.

This is because you have NOTHING to add.

Sorry about your handicap.

Last edited:
monkey said:
I can't believe the negativity in this forum towards the movement to world peace and understanding.Frankly makes me wonder about the people here.
Well, no more questions for me, it's apparent they have not given him the award for anything he's done.

He was included on the ballot February 1st, (two weeks after his inauguration?) and he flatly, (and graciously) accepted saying he did not think it was deserved.

Has the Nobel Prize jumped the shark? Well they certainly devalued it by giving it to Al Gore, and now they've awarded it because of asiprations...hope, (which is "neither a strategy or an achievement").

In this vein, a result of his presidency has been a willingness on the part of Russia to join America on levying sanctions on the Iranians nuclear program. It has yet to produce any result, but unless I'm mistaken this is a first step for Russia/America/Iran.

I leave you with this quote:

"President Obama's Nobel acceptance speech called the award: "a call to action", and we'd like to remind the President, so was his election."

Finn

Staff member
Folks, I repeat: If you think a choice is bad, don't just moan. Offer a better alternative.

Because if you don't, it's difficult to take your criticism for lot more than just another load of hot air.

Finn said:
Folks, I repeat: If you think a choice is bad, don't just moan. Offer a better alternative.

Because if you don't, it's difficult to take your criticism for lot more than just another load of hot air.

I can only imagine you mean our own personal favorites...Norman Borlaug comes to mind.

205 names were submitted for the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize, 33 of which are organizations. The Nobel Committees in Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature and the Prize Committee for Economics each usually receives 250-300 names every year, but this is the highest number of nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize ever. The last record was in 2005 when the Committee received 199 nominations. The names of the nominees cannot be revealed until 50 years later.

Finn

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
I can only imagine you mean our own personal favorites...Norman Borlaug comes to mind.
I meant people who have not yet been awarded but you'd think would well be worthy of the nod, I mean. Official nominations be damned. Borlaug already got his 39 years ago.

I'll also repeat my own personal opinion on this. I don't applaud the choice, but don't hate it either. There are a ton of cons, but there are also a ton of pros. Make what you want out of them.

Finn said:
I meant people who have not yet been awarded but you'd think would well be worthy of the nod, I mean. Official nominations be damned. Borlaug already got his 39 years ago.

I'll also repeat my own personal opinion on this. I don't applaud the choice, but don't hate it either. There are a ton of cons, but there are also a ton of pros. Make what you want out of them.

I've got to...

Pope John Paul II

Besides my personal favorites of REPEATING Pius XII acknowledgement of evolution as a possibility and further advancing the stance ?as an effectively proven fact.? (ROA, 82)

After he was elected pope, one of this first things John Paul II did was end his predecessors? accommodationist attitudes towards communism and communist nations. John Cornwell writes in Pontiff in Winter:

?He would ask no favors; he would insist on freedom of religion, the full catalogue of human rights; there would be no accommodation. ...In his first encyclical to the world, ?Redemptor Hominis (The Redeemer of Man), published on March 4, 1979, John Paul made a thundering appeal for universal human rights. ...?These rights,? he wrote,? are rightly reckoned to include the right to religious freedom together with the right to freedom of conscience.??

Gorbachev once said ?The collapse of the Iron Curtain would have been impossible without John Paul II?

To name just a few examples of his worthiness...

Finn

Staff member
Rocket Surgeon said:
To name just a few examples of his worthiness...
Since you already cited some of the qualifications, it's kind of funny you missed the one that disqualifies your candidate: he's dead.

Only way the prize can be awarded posthumously nowadays is if the person receiving it has died after the selection but before the actual ceremony.

If the late Pope John Paul II would still be alive, he would most definitely be a worthy candidate. Lot better than President Obama.

Peru1936

monkey said:
In regards to Peru 1936 Video:.

I didn't post the video, I commented on it.

monkey said:
(slightly) funny video clip..

I was actually saying that it wasn't funny.

monkey said:
Actually it is incorrect, in that President Obama IS actually ENDING the War in Iraq.

It appears that that episode is a little dated, as some of the points are indeed no longer true.

monkey said:
I can't believe the negativity in this forum towards the movement to world peace and understanding.

Frankly makes me wonder about the people here.

I'm still new, but I don't think anyone here is saying anything against the progress of peace. We're just skeptical and inquisitive. Questions about the timing of the award (especially the nomination) are legitimate points of criticism. Honestly, what Hillary just did in Turkey and Armenia is far more deserving of the Peace Prize than anything Obama has done thus far.

Finn said:
Since you already cited some of the qualifications, it's kind of funny you missed the one that disqualifies your candidate: he's dead.

Only way the prize can be awarded posthumously nowadays is if the person receiving it has died after the selection but before the actual ceremony.

If the late Pope John Paul II would still be alive, he would most definitely be a worthy candidate. Lot better than President Obama.

Cheers, I hear ya...but with the way they're shattering established precedents, (awarding not based on deeds), maybe his legacy is as valid...
(Hell if you're going to give an award...that he's dead is not as important as what he's done)

Peru1936 said:
Honestly, what Hillary just did in Turkey and Armenia is far more deserving of the Peace Prize than anything Obama has done thus far.
Sorry, again, I have to.

Is that where she, our chief foreign affairs adviser "gracefully employed her diplomacy skills" and lashed out at that person whose question was misinterpreted?

Last edited:

Short Round

This is an absolute joke. He has done NOTHING. Remember, Al Gore won this "award" too. That kind of tells you something.

Robyn

Short Round said:
This is an absolute joke. He has done NOTHING. Remember, Al Gore won this "award" too. That kind of tells you something.

Well as some others have already said, the joke is on the award rather then Obama.. The Nobel Peace Prize really doesn't have much meaning anymore, seeing how you don't really have to do anything to get it now.

Stoo

monkey said:
First of all stool, thanks for rolling your eyes, and pointing out my repetition of my first sentence with my second. I have taken notes, and will work harder in the future to avoid this discrepancy.

Secondly, WOW!! You are quite the world traveler.....Stool is certainly an International Man of Mystery. Thank you for going to such great pains to point this out to us.

Wow!! You've been to a "Foreign" country?? Sure hope I can do that some day. ;)

Anyway Stool, I don't play the 'examples' or 'proof' game. I GAVE my examples and my proof. You would have to be a complete idiot to not recognize the profound impact President Obama has had upon the Arab/Muslim World, and upon the rest of the World.

Keep jacking your jaw, and keep sending photos from the couple of countries you've been to.
Excuse me but what?!?:confused: Firstly, I've been to more than just a "couple" of countries, you monkey. Just because you've only seen a "couple" of photos doesn't mean that those are the only places. You brought up his speech in Cairo and I wanted to share my experience with being so close to an historical event. I did not realize that talking about globe-trotting travels was frowned upon here at The Raven. Now that it has been pointed out, I won't be doing at any further.

Secondly, for your information, I actually ADMIRE Mr. Obama. Just look at that photo of him in front of the Sphinx. The guy is a DUDE! It took me awhile to compose my reply and I did not see the examples you gave until after I posted. Then I left the house. If you don't live within the Arab/Muslim world how do you really know what it thinks?

Thirdly, "stool". Cute!:D Don't see why you've decided to take swipes like that...

Fourthly:

Hello, my name is monkey and I am on Indiana Jones message board.

On this message board I will be going by the name of monkey.

I do not come to this message board to talk about Indiana Jones.

I come to this message board to talk about MY president and MY country.

My panties are in a twist because of the stain George W. Bush has put on MY country and my fellow countrymen.

What George W. Bush has done over the past 8 years has made me become a paranoid crackpot.

You must be a complete IDIOT if you do not see this.

Stoo said:
Excuse me but what?!?:confused: Firstly, I've been to more than just a "couple" of countries, you monkey. Just because you've only seen a "couple" of photos doesn't mean that those are the only places. You brought up his speech in Cairo and I wanted to share my experience with being so close to an historical event. I did not realize that talking about globe-trotting travels was frowned upon here at The Raven. Now that it has been pointed out, I won't be doing at any further.

Secondly, for your information, I actually ADMIRE Mr. Obama. Just look at that photo of him in front of the Sphinx. The guy is a DUDE! It took me awhile to compose my reply and I did not see the examples you gave until after I posted. Then I left the house. If you don't live within the Arab/Muslim world how do you really know what it thinks?

Thirdly, "stool". Cute!:D Don't see why you've decided to take swipes like that...

Fourthly:

My panties are in a twist because of the stain George W. Bush has put on MY country and my fellow countrymen.

What George W. Bush has done over the past 8 years has made me become a paranoid crackpot.

Stoo, your posts are so frequently truly amusing! I appreciate your delectably sardonic retorts, and this one made my day! Cheers! (y)

Gear

monkey said:
Now, on to the racial thing. Some others here (not you Rocket) seemed to think that President Obama's race had something to do with MY opinion of him and his achievements.

Actually no. Not only no, but not even remotely.

To those who asked me those questions, I would ask you if President Obama's racial makeup affects YOUR opinion of him?

No, not nearly as much as the fact that he's a politician.

monkey said:
And to those who sink to the level of asking about the President of the United States proving his citizenship..........well, that doesn't even deserve an answer.

The Hell it doesn't. I want to know if he's legal to be 'commander in chief'.

... I think something's happening here. What it is aint exactly clear.

WillKill4Food

Gear said:
The Hell it doesn't. I want to know if he's legal to be 'commander in chief'.
Even if he wasn't, and I believe that he is, I'm not sure that would bother me. I disagree with Obama on many issues, but I don't think that whether a person is native-born should be a determining factor in his/her eligibility for the office. That is one rule in the Constitution that, to me, really seems to have no basis.

Robyn

Stoo said:

Fourthly:

Way to go Stoo!!!(y) (y) (y) :hat:

And I love your globe trotting photos!! At least you actually have proof that you've been to other countries!

Peru1936

Rocket Surgeon said:
Sorry, again, I have to.

Is that where she, our chief foreign affairs adviser "gracefully employed her diplomacy skills" and lashed out at that person whose question was misinterpreted?

I'm unsure of that, but I was referring to her handling of the situation. She did her job in splendid fashion when the accord was in certain danger of being completely scrapped. To shed more light, I was only using Hillary as an example of a top US official who did something more deserving of the award, not necessarily deserving in its own right.

Of course, Eduard Nalbandian and Ahmet Davutoglu would be the ones who should be honoured.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Well, at any rate, Turkey/Armenia wasn't an option for this year's award, though hopefully the parties involved will receive it next year - unless something bigger comes along.