Sri Lanka's Cultural Triangle

Sarika

Since I have Sinhalese heritage from Sri Lanka from my great grandfather, I made a wonderful vacation there with my mother the first time in 1997. Went back in '99 and again in 2002.

Had a fanatastic time, and met so many lovely people, all around the country.

I must upload some pics of the fabulous ruins I visited in the ancient cultural triangle, inland of the island. I can tell you I was just in awe of the fantastic structures and city ruins , monolithic icons, statues, temples, fortresses, palaces, audience halls, and so much!

I have always had an infinity with ancient history and to go there and see a part of my heritage and it's people's golden era still being maintained and some reconstructed with what their government can manage to proceed funds to, was just a spectacular experience for me!

I felt a special stirring at Sigiria, a monolith rock fortress in the jungle north east of a Dambulla, built by King Kasyapa in 473 AD.
And man...to walk up the lengthy entrance to the rock, facing this giant sweeping spectacle was haunting and inspiring for a Indiana movie, I can remember thinking exactly that! Such an adventure he could have had there!!
Definately has the makings of such for a Dr Jones adventure.:D

I took a lot of photos and will share some with you all.

Anuradaphura and Polonaruwa are also the two major ancient cities I wen to see, just fabulous!;)

WilliamBoyd8

I just finished watching a DVD of the 1954 film "Elephant Walk" which
was filmed in (then) Ceylon.

The film had a scene where the actors walk around some of the Buddhist
structures.

Beautiful country!

:)

Sarika

Thanks for the welcome , and for the moment I have some photos on my MySpace album I can share with you from my holiday there the first time.
I will get around to scanning more and uploading new pics one day.

Just follow this link to my profile page and then under my profile image, click on "View My Pics" and when it takes you to my album page, you'll see an album titled "My Holiday in Sri Lanka '97".
My page:
http://www.myspace.com/princesssarika

Hope you like them...;)