Indiana Jones references in pop culture...

foreverwingnut

More MST3K and Fresh Prince

Le Saboteur said:
I'll play.

Kevin Smith as Silent Bob from 1999's Dogma.
Thanks, Le Saboteur. I'd only seen bits and pieces of Dogma, but this clip prompted me to see the movie through in its entirety. More MST3K: While watching the movie, "Outlaw (from Gor)", there are baddies topping a sand dune and Crow comments, "Sand Nazis, I hate these guys.". Then, the hero, the princess, and a dwarf get taken by surprise in the middle of the night by a gunman who takes them prisoner. While the good guys are being herded away from the scene in bondage, Crow says (in reference to the dwarf in the lead), "Nice job on watch, Short Round!". Also, a rap song was playing through my head yesterday- "Everything That Glitters Ain't Always Gold" by Fresh Prince. In it, he and his girlfriend are stranded on an island, held captive by cannibals. The Indy reference is: "Then I saw it- no it's not- a big, Indiana Jones people-cookin'-pot!".

Dr.Jonesy

dr.jones1986 said:
Everyone should go see Ted. Aside from being very funny, there are a few nods to Indiana Jones in it.

Indeed. Saw it last night.

The main character has a 'Temple of Doom' poster on his wall and Ted reaches in and grabs (spoiler) before the door shuts and there's a musical cue that's the Indy theme.

Ted had alot of references/nods to things I love! Indiana Jones, KISS, Queen and such. Good stuff.
:hat:

foreverwingnut

Season 8 epsisode 11 of "Cheers" has a nice reference to Indy. Cliff brags to Norm's former office assistant, "Ya know, postal workers are pretty much the Indiana Jones of your civil service. Just as Indy faces off a pit of rattlesnakes or a sewer full of rats, I have to- daily, mind you- trade wits with the Flannegans' dog."

Stoo

Asia - "Don't Cry" Video - 1983

Another early '80s music video that was clearly riding the wave of Indiana Jones' popularity was from the supergroup, Asia. (For those not in the know, each of the 4 members had previously been in famous groups and their 1st album was a huge hit in 1982.)

From their 2nd album, the 1983 single "Don't Cry". This video didn't get shown very often. I only saw it 2 or 3 times back in the day:

There have been several visual eggs in the Clone Wars series such as the Staff of Ra, Ark of the Covenant, a crystal skull, and even Indy's hat. They even had a dance number that played as an obvious homage to the opening of Doom, complete with soundalike music.

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
On the cover of Iron Maiden's album, "Powerslave", from 1984:
Hidden amongst the hieroglyphs, there is some graffiti which says, "Indiana Jones was here 1941".:whip:

724349692008.jpg

powerzoom1b.jpg

Hey Stoo, Could you circle where on the full photo? Thanks. Hope you are well.

Stoo

Henry W Jones said:
Hey Stoo, Could you circle where on the full photo? Thanks. Hope you are well.
I am very well & having a great summer.:D Hope you are too, Henry Double-U.:hat:

Dr. Jones' piece of graffiti is to the left of the Mickey Mouse hieroglyph.
(Oh, scheisse, another indirect Indy/Disney connection!:eek:)

Look in this target area:

IronMaiden_2.jpg

IronMaiden_B.jpg

Last edited:
Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia: ?The Gang Gets Trapped? is an entire show based on Indy.

From Mac in a hat reviews of Doom and Skull to Danny DeVito whipping an "ancient" vase...he even has a E.T. moment:

The-Gang-Gets-Trapped.jpg

During the debate from George Washington University: The Rumble in the Air-Conditioned Auditorium, Stewart said visiting the Fox News building was fun, because the Eye of Sauron was on top of it. He also noted Fox employees resembled the slave children from "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom."

Crack that whip

I don't know that this thread is the best for this post, but a quick search didn't turn up a more suitable one, so I'm putting this here...

My girlfriend and I went to a local eatery a few days ago, and apparently someone responsible for naming the menu items is a fan of our favorite franchise - the "Gourmet Breakfast Sandwiches & Wraps" area of the breakfast menu features all the following items:

Dr. Jones
Ravenwood
Mutt's Breakfast Club
Little Abner
Short Round
Willie Scott
Marcus Brody's Power Wrap

russds

Wow, that's sweet. What a nice node to Indy. if i'm ever in that neck of the woods, i'll have to try a "Marcus Brody Power Wrap". hahahaha.

Crack that whip said:
I don't know that this thread is the best for this post, but a quick search didn't turn up a more suitable one, so I'm putting this here...

My girlfriend and I went to a local eatery a few days ago, and apparently someone responsible for naming the menu items is a fan of our favorite franchise - the "Gourmet Breakfast Sandwiches & Wraps" area of the breakfast menu features all the following items:

Dr. Jones
Ravenwood
Mutt's Breakfast Club
Little Abner
Short Round
Willie Scott
Marcus Brody's Power Wrap

Montana Smith

Finn said:
You know, I'm not so sure if that's supposed to be an intentional reference to the Ark at all. The design is far from a 1:1 match with the Ark prop seen in Raiders (even in caricatured form), and indeed the coverline refers to whole another myth.

Indeed:

"Assange and his Pandora's Box".

No need to mix myths there.