Indiana Jones references in pop culture...

ROTLA

Le Saboteur said:
I'll play.

Kevin Smith as Silent Bob from 1999's Dogma.

This is one of the first ones I think of. The first time I heard Kevin Smith drop, "no ticket," I think I did a real life spit take. Good stuff.

Also, in "Malcolm in the Middle" Hal (the father) got a job at an electronics store. One night he decides to party with some young co-workers and the boss tries to stop him by closing up the store and dropping the gate. The Indy theme music starts playing as Hal sprints toward the exit, pencils propelled by a fan rocket through the air like spears, I believe a beach ball starts chasing/rolling behind him and Hal eventually slides under the closing metal gate. Of course, like Indy's hat, Hal dropped his keys and had to reach back to retrieve them before the gate closed. It was quality TV if you were an IJ fan. May have been a Season 4 episode. (Apologies if someone posted this already...I may have missed it.)

Last edited:
Rocket Surgeon said:
Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia: “The Gang Gets Trapped” is an entire show based on Indy.

The new season kicked off deciding the fate of Dee and Dennis' infirmed Nazi grandfather...titled: "Pop Pop: The Final Solution"

Mac and Charlie search for an original Hitler painting, and Mac proclaims he'll finally BE Indiana Jones.(y)

InexorableTash

On tonight's "Shark Tank", during a cameo, Seth MacFarlane referenced Belloq nonchalantly eating the fly, when casting one of the investors as a movie villain.

Le Saboteur

I'm sure there's a better thread for this, but I can't seem to find it. And while not a reference, the homage indicator is quite high. Plus, the ability to powerslide a horse -- yes, a horse -- underneath a truck has to be worth something.

The film in question is '95's Alluda Majaka.

ROTLA

Le Saboteur said:
The film in question is '95's Alluda Majaka.

That may be the most absurd thing I have ever seen. I loved it! The horse powerslide was phenomenal...especially given the fact that it seems fairly obvious that the horse was simply going to lie down before it cut to an overhead of the guy (and horse apparently) sliding under the truck bed.

Thanks for sharing! Of course I will now have to explain to my wife why I really want to watch some obscure, foreign movie that I know she's going to hate. Nothing new there though! :D Plus, who doesn't want to watch the brilliance of Chiranjeevi as Sitaramudu?!?

If the horse under the truck counts...

...then Spalko was at the Inauguration:

ap-inaugural-swearing-in-obama-4_3_r536_c534.jpg

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Nuketown

The AV Club's offshoot, The Gameological Society, brings us this:

In a strange case of art imitating art that imitates life, the Call Of Duty: Black Ops multiplayer map ?Nuketown? was inspired by Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull, which itself was based on a real historic event. Black Ops? game designer/director David Vonderhaar is on the record saying the popular map is based on a throwaway scene from the 2008 sequel in which Indy wanders onto the grounds of a nuclear test site town and discovers that he must find a way to escape an impending blast. The sequence descends further into the realm of implausibility as the aging adventurer manages to hide in a refrigerator seconds before the explosion. He?s tossed hundreds of yards away to safety while everything around him evaporates.

I once assumed that the nuclear test town?the central conceit behind that scene and Nuketown?was a fake, an idea cooked up by some hacky screenwriter overreaching for a visual metaphor that represented America?s free-floating Cold War hysteria and the illusory nature of the conformist 1950s. But it?s true, the U.S. military really did create a faux village called Survival Town and nuked its quaint suburban houses and mannequin residents to holy hell.

More, including screenshots, at the link.

Most recent of many times...

WASHINGTON ? Stephen Colbert mocked big banks in his Comedy Central show on Feb. 14, raising concerns about why institutions are still "too big to fail," and suggesting that viewing Wells Fargo's balance sheet could melt a person's face.

As he often does, Colbert pretended to like big banks, saying that liberals should let go of their anger stemming from the financial crisis.

"At this point, who can even remember who wired the global financial system to a roulette wheel jacked up on enough cocaine to bring down a bison?" Colbert asked.

He then suggested the government shouldn't prosecute financial institutions for their role in the crisis, saying that he believed "an investigation will just make things worse."

"I don't think the banks are in any financial position to reveal what kind of financial position they're in," Colbert said. "Take Wells Fargo. Their recent annual report said the bank's value is partly based on 'significant assumptions not observable in the market.'

"That means the value of the largest capitalized bank in the United States defies observation. The human mind cannot perceive it; we dare not look upon it. Remember what happened to the accountants who opened Lehman Brothers' books."

The latter comment was followed up with a video of the ending of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" in which a Nazi's face melts after opening the Ark of the Covenant.

Montana Smith

I just watched the Spaghetti Eastern Way of the Dragon again. It was an extra trailer on the disc that jogged my memory about another Indy reference:

Jackie Chan's Armour of God. A film that has may only have been mentioned here twice. I remember thinking of Indy the first time I saw it on TV.

In the trailer itself Jackie's moving behind a rolling drum for cover à la Indy and the gong in TOD.

There was more, besides the treasure hunt itself, but it's been so many years since I saw it in full.

Goonie

Watched a lot of Harlem Shakes, and so far, have not spotted any involvement from our man Indy...

Goonie said:
Watched a lot of Harlem Shakes, and so far, have not spotted any involvement from our man Indy...

Watched Less Than Zero again and didn't spot Indy there either...

:rolleyes:

He was mentioned on the most recent American Pickers though...

Stoo

The Flintstones!

26 years after their debut in 1960...

1986 - Fred Flintstone & Barney Rubble in "Raiders of the Fruity Pebbles"

FruityPebbles_small_zps3155900a.jpg

Flintstones. Meet the Flintstones! They're you're happy stone-age family!:D

michael said:
This was awesome. Did you also hear the Raiders March when they came back from a commercial on the Oscars?
Let me tell you, E.T. was really moving...I wondered if it was "canned."

Jaws as the "time-up" music was pretty funny.

I caught Luke and Leia but started to use my DVR to jump between the three hour SNL retrospective to kill the commercials and (selected musical numbers) I ended up missing it completely.

I still haven't deleted it and caught it last night...so thanks for asking!

I was a bit disappointed though, is it so difficulty to hammer out The Raiders March?

Lawrence of Arabia sounded perfect...I don't remember any of the other musical numbers which were "interpreted".

Oh, the comercial leading into The Raiders March was a time check sponsored by TD Bank...FYI: it was at 10:38. ;)

What did you think of it?