Indiana Jones references in pop culture...

Montana Smith

Indy: "And if you put the staff in a certain place at a certain time of day, the sun shone through here and made beam that came down on the floor here... and gave you the exact location of the Well of the Souls."

Scooby-Doo! Camp Scare:

Daphne Blake: "As dawn breaks on the summer solstice, the steeple will point the way."

At dawn the first rays of sunlight hitting the steeple in Moose Creek project a shaft of light onto the ground, pinpointing the location of the treasure.

:cool:

Sea Monarch

Didn't spot a thread, for Indy references in Movies, so this seemed to be the best place to post this one. Watched G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra, again recently, (don't laugh, it's a guilty semi-pleasure,) and I was reminded again, of a scene with the Baroness, when she says to Duke, "Yeah, everybody's sorry for something" I have no doubt, this was influenced by/an intentional tip of the hat to ROTLA. I just wish it felt more natural, and not forced.(y) :whip:

Goodeknight

Le Saboteur said:
Offered without commentary. Watch through to the end, though.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xGjKM4vicfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, where to begin....

Interesting....in a real "that truly sucks" kind of way. Cheapo costume is painful to look at (though near the end -- is he wearing Aldens?? A dispensable yet very expensive piece of gear?). "Acting" is terrible. At first I thought, "He didn't even ask those people to move out of the background." Then as it unfolded with the run though the park, people's reactions were good. I actually enjoyed that, and imagined it must have been really funny to see Indy and the boulder (both) run by. However, the "reax from the crowd" bit got old and the chase was way too long. But a boulder with legs is pretty funny. Nice (also expensive) prop idol. If someone has a high end idol and nice boots, wouldn't you assume he'd have a decent hat and/or jacket and/or whip? Still don't get that. Can't imagine it was meant to be that cheap as a comedic element.

Ending....more bad acting, and it didn't get a laugh from me.

I do give him and his team credit for getting off their butts and doing something creative and fun. Obviously put a good bit of effort into the whole thing.

update: Just watched the Mission Report on the "making of." A minute longer, but it was far more interesting and entertaining, and the boulder guys are a lot more likable than Indy.

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

Remember Aqua? Y'know, of "Barbie Girl" fame? Yeah, the group from one of those frigid Scandinavian counties nobody cares about. Yes, the same place where the women are impossibly tall while managing to remain a size zero.

Now that the reintroductions are out of the way, their other big hit is pretty blunt about its homage status.

Enjoy 1997 all over again.

Finn

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
Yeah, the group from one of those frigid Scandinavian counties nobody cares about.
I'm Finn and I approve this message.

Because really, there's only one Nordic country to truly care about. Just go ask Joe Stalin.

<small>Now, if you want to score some real points, say something similar about ABBA.</small>

Pale Horse

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
Remember Aqua? Y'know, of "Barbie Girl" fame? Yeah, the group from one of those frigid Scandinavian counties nobody cares about. Yes, the same place where the women are impossibly tall while managing to remain a size zero.

I have the weirdest ***er right about now.

lancasterjames

Finn said:
<small>Now, if you want to score some real points, say something similar about ABBA.</small>

You can dance, you can jive, having the time of your life
See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen!

Montana Smith

After re-watching The Book of Eli again recently (due to near future action figurage) the ending struck me as being pretty much a homage to Raiders of the Lost Ark.

As in ROTLA we see a dangerous religious object being placed in a secure environment, where it will remain until civilization is capable of dealing with it.

010BOE_Malcolm_McDowell_001.jpg

img_1201912323_15659_1298809281_mod_785_440.jpg

Like the Ark in ROTLA it's both an object of historical significance as well as a potential "weapon" (as Carnegie defines the Bible).

The premise of Eli's journey was that Bibles were destroyed because they were deemed to be the cause of the war. Too significant to destroy, too dangerous not to be locked away.

The connection to ROTLA is all but confirmed here by the Hughes brothers:

Allen Hughes said:
But you know, if you look at Raiders of the Lost Ark, you look at that movie and basically you have Harrison Ford trying to preserve a sacred object. It?s a religious artifact. But he saw the historical significance of it, and then so did the Nazis, who wanted it to mess people up. That?s what that movie was about, and I don?t think it seemed preachy. We?re doing much the same thing. At the same time, Denzel?s character has faith but it?s personal to him and he?s never trying to convert anyone.

Albert Hughes said:
...I?m also conscious that my brother is more spiritual than I am. I?m more of an atheist but I found my way into this, and it?s a fine line you have to walk. We?re not trying to preach, we?re trying use the book almost as an Alfred Hitchcock MacGuffin. If the good guy has the book he?s going to do good stuff, but if a bad guy gets it bad things could happen. We were trying to make a mythology story, and that?s how I treated it. Just like if I was doing Star Wars or Lord of the Rings, and had to make believe about this whole mythology, I bought into this story of violent religion. I think a religious person could come to this and see something spiritual in it, and a non-religious person could get an entirely different thing from it.

http://techland.time.com/2010/01/13/bookofeli/2/

InexorableTash

Psych's Guide To Crime Fighting For The Totally Unqualified

Yes, a TV-show tie-in book. Whatever. The creators of this amusing series are obsessed with 80's pop culture and have done at least one Indy homage episode.

Quiz on Page 45:

How many Indiana Jones movies are there?

A. one
B. three
C. four
D. thirty-five

Answer:

D - thirty-five. This includes the original trilogy, plus twenty-eight episodes and four TV movies of Young Indiana Jones, all of which were better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which I don't even count.

(y)

Montana Smith

dr.jones1986 said:
Everyone should go see Ted. Aside from being very funny, there are a few nods to Indiana Jones in it.

There may actually be references to all the Indy films in Indy-logical order,

Dr.Jonesy said:
The main character has a 'Temple of Doom' poster on his wall...

Here's that TOD poster in the bedroom:

Dr.Jonesy said:
...and Ted reaches in and grabs (spoiler) before the door shuts and there's a musical cue that's the Indy theme.

There's a bit more to that 'ear' gag. The Raiders theme plays as Ted reaches back through the door to retrieve his ear, implying that it's the equivalent of Indy's fedora. Downstairs he finds a stapler and re-attaches his ear, which might be a reference to Harrison's gag while filming The Last Crusade:

indiana-jones-staple-hat-logo.jpg

And by way of reference to KOTCS, in the kidnappers' basement the father says: “We tried to make do with other teddy bears, but none of them were you, Ted.”

Montana Smith

In The Dictator:

"Don't worry. I am Wadiya's number one actor. You don't win four Wadiyan Golden Globes for nothing...My performance in Aladeen Jones and the Temple of Doom was outstanding."

An artist's impression:

4922998_700b.jpg

And the entire, not so funny, segment:

Last edited:

Montana Smith

There's a comic book series by Bluewater Productions entitled The Mis-Adventures of Adam West:

The Man, The Myth, The Amulet? Legendary star of the small and silver screen, ADAM WEST, has his career youth-enized in this hip-whimsical,trans-dimensional epic of an adventure. When a mysterious fan delivers an exotic amulet to Mr. West?s doorstep he is Dorothy-fied on an odyssey that will change his career, his love life and inadvertently make him the man that saves the universe!

In issue #3 (1st February 2012) Adam got his Indy mojo on:

InexorableTash

From Dusk Till Dawn: The Series by noted fanboy Robert Rodriguez, as the gang walks through an ancient mesoamerican temple...

Professor Aiden Tanner: "Their ancestors mapped the stars. They understood the cosmic movements of the galaxies. Some even say that they could communicate with alien races."

Seth Gecko: "Stop. Don't make this any weirder than it already is. I can do Temple of Doom, man. Crystal Skull? I'm out of it."

welshslider

A retro classic advert here in the UK. Always loved this one coming on in the 80's.

Terry's Chocolate Orange. How safe is yours?

Le Saboteur

The premiere episode of Code Name: Kids Next Door's fourth season was a riff on the classic adventure film and, more specifically, Temple of Doom.

All eleven minutes: