Best Opening Sequence

Best Opening Sequence

• ROTLA: Peruvian jungle, waterfalls, first glimpse of Indy, temple, idol, boulder, Belloq, escape

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • TOD: Shanghai, Club Obi Wan, Busby Berkeley, Nurhachi, Willie, Short Round, Lao Che Air Freight

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • LC: Utah, River Phoenix, Cross of Coronado, snakes on a train, Fedora, Panama Hat, Coronado sinks

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • CS: Hangar 51, new bad guys, mind control, Mac, gunpowder, aliens, Doom Town & the Flying Fridge

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Goodeknight

What's your favorite opening sequence? They're similar, but all quite different. End of one adventure for Raiders, end of another adventure but in a distinctly different way in TOD, young Indy in LC, and Indy's big return in CS.

Raiders and TOD both open with the end of one story. In LC, we see the very beginning of the Cross of Coronado story. Presumably, Indy didn't know he'd run into those guys, though he knew about the history of the cross. Still, when we flash forward, it's the end of that story and the kickoff of the next. CS opens in the middle of the story, and continues from there.

But mainly they all have a really great look. Drastically different, yet cohesive.

russds

Great question. That's really tough. I might say TLC just by a hair over ROTLA, and just because of the score. Both scenes have excellent music, but I've always loved the young adventurous theme played during TLC train scene. Plus it's on a moving circus train, bad guys chasing good guy, it's just so much fun. But what can i say, the giant bolder, the idol, ROTLA is fantastic too.

Dr. Gonzo

Without a doubt and without question it is Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The opening of the film is iconic. It is actually embedded into modern culture, referenced all the time and lovingly imitated.

There are a couple things that immediately come to peoples minds when they hear the words Indiana Jones and one of those is the image of him scrambling to get away from a giant boulder.

Crack that whip

While I'd have to go with Raiders like most others, I must say I'm kind of shocked that Temple hasn't gotten a vote yet while each of the others has at least one, as of this writing. Temple's opening is terrific as well. I'd even hazard a guess it's many people's favorite part of the movie.

Goodeknight

I didn't want to open the poll with thoughts of my own vote, but now I can say I did vote Raiders. It's the classic, first appearance of Indy, played out beautifully. Great traps, iconic scenes, and an awesome jungle setting. Can't be beat.

Crack that whip said:
While I'd have to go with Raiders like most others, I must say I'm kind of shocked that Temple hasn't gotten a vote yet while each of the others has at least one, as of this writing. Temple's opening is terrific as well. I'd even hazard a guess it's many people's favorite part of the movie.

I have to agree with you. Perhaps it will get a few votes down the line. It is a great opening. Very light, fun, action packed, and different. And when I pull out an Indy soundtrack, it's often times Temple of Doom, so I can hear Anything Goes. I used to like TOD. Over the years I've grown to love it.

Fish1941

For me, it's the Shanghai nightclub in TOD. It's sooo original. And it also explained how Indy, Willie and Short Round ended up in India. My second favorite opening is the one for CS and the road race between the Soviet solider and the teenage drag racers.

Montana Smith

Fish1941 said:
For me, it's the Shanghai nightclub in TOD.

My favourite, too.

I mean it's Shanghai! From accounts it was the sleaziest and most dangerous city on earth.

The only let down was that the sequence was so short. The entire film could have taken place there.

SIR SLASH

Based on the best action scenes, best baddies, best stunts, and best music score. It has to be Raiders of the lost ark.

IndyBuff

I'd have to go with Raiders on this one. I love how we're slowly introduced to Indy and learn more about him as it progresses. I think each opening scene has been well done and has shown us something new about the character and his history that we didn't know before.