Disney acquires Lucasfilm

Montana Smith

Attila the Professor said:
No feelings on Disney's work as Marvel's owner, Montana? You had some activity in the thread on the Avengers, but no indication of having seen it.

I've mostly had the sense that Marvel fans are pleased with the way that stable of characters has been handled.

I haven't seen Avengers Assemble.

Captain America: The First Avenger was one of the most boring films I've seen. Thor was passable when set on earth (though I was never a fan of that character or his mythical world existing in the Marvel universe). Iron Man was good, but Iron Man 2 about as boring as Captain America.

But then all the Marvel movies are re-inventions of the comic books. (African American Kingpin and Nick Fury?)

By that token Disney would re-invent Indy and Star Wars. Maybe Indy will be an African American struggling against inequality in the 1930s? At least it would be different.

For balance Lando would have to be a white dude.

I really don't care what Disney does with any of their licenses, because the heyday for Indy and Star Wars was the period 1977-1989. As long as I still have those films in their unaltered state, then I'm okay.

Stoo said:
AWFUL!

It was only a matter of time before it happened but this is THE WORST Lucasfilm news in the history of Lucasfilm news!:sick: (n) :sick: (n) :sick:

I agree. To even mention "Marvel business plan" in conjuntion with "Star Wars" is sickening. Also, keep that turd Joss Whedon far, far away.

congrats George, you are the ultimate businessman...but youve sold us all out to the extreme this time

So ****ing sad that Indy is just a small line in the fine print...STAR WARS STAR WARS STAR WARS! The Well of Souls was nothing compared to being entombed in the Disney vault next to the corpse of Uncle Remus and that purple catfish host of "Muppets Tonight"

Last edited:

micsteam

CGI is a tool (my opinion but Steven Spielberg's words). Each of the last three Star Wars movies was going more and more away from live actors, actresses, sets, and stunts and going with green screen at Lucas's behest which was very obvious, it was what really killed these movies besides stories that could have been executed better. If we all remember the original Star Wars movies were not all directed by Lucas, he only did the first and produced the rest which I think, frankly, did him in on the last three. Take that for what it is, I dunno.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Some information from the New York Times that might be illuminating:

Disney is set up to release about 15 movies a year, on par with Universal, 20th Century Fox and Paramount. But most of those movies come from units that primarily run independently, except for their distribution and marketing. Those units are Pixar, Marvel and a partnership with Steven Spielberg?s DreamWorks Studios. Disney?s live-action label is set up to make five or six movies a year.
[...]
Mr. Iger?s ease may also reflect his own oversight of the studio, which appears to be much closer than many people in Hollywood realize. For instance, he urged Mr. Feige to add more humor to ?The Avengers,? a superhero event film that opened in international markets on Wednesday and arrives in North America next week. He visits Pixar?s headquarters outside of San Francisco several times a month, and discusses scripts with important Disney partners like the producer Joe Roth, who is working on ?Oz,? and Jerry Bruckheimer, whose Disney projects include ?The Lone Ranger? and another ?Pirates of the Caribbean? movie.

Still, Mr. Iger, who has described film as important fuel for the rest of the company?s products, like theme park rides and merchandise, will not want to wait too long to answer the questions hanging over Walt Disney Studios. ?What is a Disney movie? What does it mean to be a Disney movie?? Mr. Bailey said during part of his presentation to theater owners on Tuesday. ?It?s not an easy question to answer.?

Sakis

TR.N Staff Member
I.M.J. said:
Your interpretations of our opinions are some of the most ridiculous nonsense I've ever read in my life. The fact that you are assigning some kind of emotional value based on vengeance to my thoughts regarding this is both childish and mundane. If anything, it's actually demonstrating the strange emotional reaction you appear to be having to this news - clearly your fandom reaches neurotic levels far beyond my own.

This acquisition is good news. I don't blame Lucas for anything. -shrugs- But his creative energy was waning and now maybe the franchises can be reinvigorated.

Sakis, stop asserting a child's whiny argument to defend a guy when no defense is necessary, bud! Your beloved mythologies are going to be okay, and you can still run around dressed up in party gear calling Lucas "the creator" if it makes you feel good! No big deal! -pats on back- (y)

My dear I.M.J., first of all, I have to inform you that if you think my comment is the most ridiculous nonsense you've ever read in your life, it means you either have a short life or you've spend it behind doors.

Second, over hearing the news of Lucasfilm's acquisition I haven't lost my sleep, I haven't lost my appetite, my room is not full of toys and my underwear don't have whips and hats on them. So, I think my Indy neurosis is among normal levels, just as yours. Otherwise, what are you doing here?

Third, this acquisition is neither good, nor bad, it's just the next chapter. Disney is a film studio with its own history we all know, more or less. It has produced many films for all genres over the years. I don't have a problem with that and I will not bother myself to even compare Walt Disney to George Lucas as another fellow did. Each one has wrote history. But you can understand, as far as Indy is concerned since we are at this forum, that by buying Lucasfilm Disney is setting foot in Paramount's fields. And this is the second time they do this after buying Marvel. I don't think the guys at Paramount like this, at all. If you have read my previous posts you know that Paramount has the rights to distribute Raiders and its sequels forever. Or at least until a new deal is made. But do you think it's going to happen any time soon? I don't think so. Disney will focus on Star Wars until they put it on track, which means until they produce at least two or three films, which takes us to the year 2017-2019. Then Disney might want to get their hands on Indy. By that time neither Ford, nor Spielberg will be interested, logically. From that point on the only way will be to reboot. Whether Paramount will be willing to take the risk of a co-production or take some kind of legal action remains to be seen. Either way I think we are about a decade away from any new Indy film, if not more. And whether it will be a revival of the films we know, or a National Treasure or Mummy treatment remains to be seen also. The sure thing is that this acquisition secures the continuation of mostly Star Wars and at some point Indy's. And of course the continuation of selling toys. For everyone concerned, I'm not. Same goes for dressing up. I'm in it for the cinematic value of it, if you can understand it because I noticed you had a little comprehention problem with some notions, like that of the creator.

Last, I hope you can understand that everything I write over here is in a friendly manner and with no intention of being aggresive or insulting towards you or any other fellow. Pat-pat. :hat:

I'mBatman

I'm guessing some Mutt Williams spin-off tv show or movie is going to happen sooner or later... As long as they have Steven on board I trust DIsney with the Indiana Jones name. :)

Lao_Che

Oh just throw money at Patrick Schoenmaker to do the character designs for a Fleischer influenced Indy cartoon serial already.

Lego Indy

I for one couldn't be happier. Lucas was cold and stubborn to the desires of the fans. We wanted more Star Wars and Indy and he held them over our heads. And we he did make the prequels and Indy 4, they were terribly written. I think Disney will find the right writers, actors, and directors to breath life into both franchises for years to come. I am as excited as I was when I heard Indy 4 was greenlit. (y)

Stoo

Sakis said:
My dear I.M.J., first of all, I have to inform you that if you think my comment is the most ridiculous nonsense you've ever read in your life, it means you either have a short life or you've spend it behind doors.
Don't worry, Sakis, your comments were not "ridiculous nonsense". Any new Indiana Jones film will now be a work of fan-fiction.

It's both amusing & ironic that I.M.J. used the word, "childish", against you when he's a guy in his mid-30s who collects comics, plays video games, buys toys & Indy-Barbie dolls!:p

Your comment about "being a consumer" strikes a chord. Today, CNN International reported that Disney was going to "more aggressively pursue" the marketing of Lucasfilm property. This Disney deal is orgasmic for the greedy gluttons who want more product instead of being happy with what they've already been given.

Squee! Give us a multi-million dollar fan-fiction and even more toys, toys & TOYS! :rolleyes:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Any new Indiana Jones film will now be a work of fan-fiction.

Which would at least be an improvement on KOTCS!

Judging the last three Star Wars films, fan-fiction would probably have provided better characterzation, story and dialogue.

With regards to George's never-ending messing with movies already long since finished, maybe that has finally been brought to an end.

The best we can hope for is that any "Noooooooo!" we hear, will be that of some executive shouting "Nooooooo more Jar Jar Binks!"

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
Squee! Give us a multi-million dollar fan-fiction and even more toys, toys & TOYS! :rolleyes:

Forgot to add, having paid those billions for Lucasfilm, Disney are bound to milk the merchandising side for all it's worth.

It's not the years but the mileage. Trying to milk Indy might be a laborious and fruitless job. Hasbro already discovered the old man had a low sperm count.

To create a market for toys I wouldn't put it past Disney to create a new TV show entitled "The Adventures of Even Younger Indiana Jones and his Daddy Mutt".

Forbidden Eye

Stoo said:
Don't worry, Sakis, your comments were not "ridiculous nonsense". Any new Indiana Jones film will now be a work of fan-fiction.

Since the four previous films all had different screen-writers, couldn't they also be "fan-fiction"?

Montana Smith

Forbidden Eye said:
Since the four previous films all had different screen-writers, couldn't they also be "fan-fiction"?

Yes. Very bad fan-fiction!

For good fiction Disney could turn to the original expanded universe: the trilogies by L. Neil Smith and Brian Daley.

dr.jones1986

Stoo said:
AWFUL!

It was only a matter of time before it happened but this is THE WORST Lucasfilm news in the history of Lucasfilm news!:sick: (n) :sick: (n) :sick:

You saw this before most of us. I always felt it was cool to go to the parks and have Indiana Jones and Star Wars attractions / exclusive merchandise. Now the fact that they own the franchises outright leaves me not knowing how to feel. I thought Star Wars was perfectly tied up with episodes 1-6, no loose ends and a great overall theme. More movies just seems like a money grab with nothing artistic to be added. At least 1-3 fleshed out a back story about how a good man/government can fall, it added something to the franchise. As for Indiana Jones, who knows what to expect. With Lucasfilm/Disney focusing on more Star Wars movies I would think Indy will once again get pushed to the back burner.

Henry W Jones

In reponse to a thread closed this morning on Disney and because it is relevant to this thread, I don't hate Disney at all. That being said, I don't like Disney ruining the chance (Though it was probably a pipe dream) of Indy 5 with Harrison. I don't want them to make Indy and SW more geared towards children as Lucas has been steering them over the years. Disney in general doesn't bother me but my favorite films in their hands is a concern.

dr.jones1986 said:
With Lucasfilm/Disney focusing on more Star Wars movies I would think Indy will once again get pushed to the back burner.

"Tear up that crusty old stunt show. We need more room in the park for the "Mustafar Lava River Rapids Ride!"

AlivePoet

Well, I'm pretty ambivalent to this. Also kind of hope that nothing happens with the Indy franchise beyond games/animated segments without Ford's involvement.

(y) (y) (y) I can hope, right?

Of course, it's inevitable that Disney will eventually work out a deal with Paramount...just a matter of time. They'll probably reboot the series too...I can imagine Indy turning into a franchise like Bond, alternating leading men. Pretty sure it's safe to say that Indy will never be what it once was with the classic trilogy, now that it's found a (permanent) home at Disney...

I.M.J.

Stoo said:

It's both amusing & ironic that I.M.J. used the word, "childish", against you when he's a guy in his mid-30s who collects comics, plays video games, buys toys & Indy-Barbie dolls!:p

Your comment about "being a consumer" strikes a chord. Today, CNN International reported that Disney was going to "more aggressively pursue" the marketing of Lucasfilm property. This Disney deal is orgasmic for the greedy gluttons who want more product instead of being happy with what they've already been given.

This from the 45 year old guy who spends his days and nights posting on the Indiana Jones forums, inventing stabby comebacks for things that have nothing to do with him, and spends the rest of his time on You Tube chopping up videos of old men playing his favorite action hero.

Seriously, get off your high horse bud. I responded to Sakis commentary in the nature that he responded to my thoughts that the Lucas film purchase is no big deal.

Everyone, meet Stoo and Sakis - hopefully not a keen example of the cross section of Indy fans that are otherwise respectable people.

Dr. Gonzo

Allow me to attempt to break the tension...

tumblr_mcrrxdJGTG1qgbw3do1_1280.jpg

1faa8888b635d51cf228d447dc18734c-princess-leia-is-now-a-disney-princess.jpg