• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

Major West

Ah this is a new one. Looks like a good one. I like the LC Predistressed they do at the moment. Yes is is a little heavy but in a good way, feels 'substantial', which was actually one of the words in the notes given to Peter for making the LC movie jacket. Substantial, bigger pockets, comfort fit, I believe was the direction given for the original movie jacket

Drones33

Substantial is the word. I really like the fit of the LC. Not mad about the longer collar but thats a minor niggle. Ive considered going for a hybrid jacket from Wested. Possibly an LC, with Raiders collar, nickel zip with no facing, and have the straps placed about 2" higher on the back just to pull it in a bit at the waist.
Wouldn`t be screen accurate of course, but it`d be a great jacket.

Major West

I've thought about this too. I would ask for no facings. And rather than ask for Raiders collar I would ask them to make the current collar bigger by 1/4 inch, and slightly less pointy. Back length on the LC jacket is long, about 27.5 inches. For custom length above 26.5 they charge an extra £5. Anything less than 26.5 is too short for LC IMO.

I decided against it though. Too frustrating if it didn't turn out the way I wanted. Happy enough with my current OTR predistressed LC.:cool:

Glenville86

Actually wore my Wested LC in HH today. Nice darkish leather. Got a little warm at lunch and switched to an old Wested Raiders lambskin jacket. Back to the HH at quitting time.

Keep about 3-jackets at work when the weather is wonky and not constant.

Glenville86

Major West said:
New Jacket. Custom Raiders in Goatskin (Westeds new Goatskin). It doesn't look it in the picture but it's a shade darker than the authentic lamb colour. Not by a huge margin, probably 5% darker. I needed another size 40". As that's my size now. Ordered with buckles and x-box stitch. Gussets and extra inside pocket. Special request, silver zip. I quite like it, despite being a tough leather I think it's lighter in weight than my authentic lamb. It is very soft though. One to consider. If I want it to look distressed though, I may have to do that myself.:gun:

Goat_Raiders.jpg

I received my Wested Raiders OTR goatskin today. Ordered it as I had seen a few posts on here and COW about it being a dark brown. It is indeed darker than my other Wested goatskin. Very soft though and feels lighter by a little than my other one. Had to look twice to make sure it was goat and not lamb. Drapes really nice as well.

Drones33

OTR Raiders in goat after a soak and a few hours wear. Nice. Quite lightweight, ideal for summer, and I love the colour. Here are 2 pics, one in artificial light with my pre-distressed cow LC for comparison, and another in natural light. It has a similar colour to dark chocolate. Lovely.
goat_1_by_00177840-db0kryi.jpg

goat_3_1_by_00177840-db0ks2f.jpg

Glenville86

Great looking jacket! I am surprised at how dark and very light-weight this new Wested goat is. I have the new one and a few older Wested goatskins in LC and Raiders. One of the old ones from many years ago is thick and the others are a little more thick than the new skin.

Drones33

Thanks. Yeah me too. My first Wested was a goatskin Raiders, I bought in 2007/08 I think, and I remember it was quite rigid and a bit plastic looking, this is really nice though.

Johnnydooks

Drones, how long did you soak your wested goat? I plan on doing that to mine, do you have any suggestions on water temp and how long to soak it for? Do you aim to just get the leather a little damp with the shower or should I soak the whole jacket in the tub?

The way yours turned out is just awesome!:whip:

Drones33

Johnnydooks said:
Drones, how long did you soak your wested goat? I plan on doing that to mine, do you have any suggestions on water temp and how long to soak it for? Do you aim to just get the leather a little damp with the shower or should I soak the whole jacket in the tub?

The way yours turned out is just awesome!:whip:

I put the jacket on a coat hanger, zipped it all the way up, then hung it in the shower. I then showered it with luke-warm water ( not hot, just warm enough to be not-cold, ) enough to get the whole jacket evenly wet, but not enough to soak through to the lining. Held the shower on it for probably less than ten seconds. Then once it stopped dripping I put the jacket on and wore it for a couple of hours. I've done this a few times with different jackets and it's always worked pretty well for me. Gives a really nice lived-in look. Depending on how lived in you want it to look you can maybe roll it into a ball and squash it a bit while its wet but before you wear it, push the sleeves up and bend your arms a bit, gives it nice sleeve wrinkle. It feels a bit scary doing the above the first time, the inclination is to 'baby' your snazzy new Wested, but leather is tough stuff and Westeds jackets, in my experience, are built like tanks and can withstand a quick shower and a bit of a roll-up!
Best of luck, let us know how it turns out.

Drones33

Wested fit comparison

A couple of shots to show the differences in fit of Wested`s OTR jackets...
On the left, Raiders in goatskin; On the right, LC in pre-distressed cowhide.
Its interesting I think that from the front the fit of the jackets doesn`t appear radically different, but from the back its really quite obvious, with the Raider`s distinctly tapered, broad shoulder/narrow waste shape and the LC`s sloping shoulders and roomier back. Both great jackets, and nicely different.
fit_1_1_by_00177840-db1ekkz.jpg

fit2_1_by_00177840-db1ekly.jpg

dakota

Also I think in my opinion these are the best shaped pocket flaps I've seen on a Raiders jacket.

I am looking at possibly purchasing a Raiders Hero in shrunken lamb but from what I have read so far on the forum, it seems that even though the jacket is the most SA, the colour shade of the shrunken lamb may not be and is too light.

Any recent photos of the Raiders Hero in shrunken lamb would be appreciated in helping me make my decision.

Major West

You'd be better off emailing Wested directly to ask them what the Shrunken Lamb they have in is like at the moment.

Drones33

I agree with Major West on this; the shrunken lamb can vary significantly so its a good idea to contact Wested directly, tell them what you`re looking for. They`re usually really helpful, and may even send you a photo of their current batch.
That said, if I were to go for a Hero I`d seriously consider Wested`s new Goatskin. While its a little too dark to be completely SA, I`d say its closer than the chestnut/ginger colour that the shrunken lamb can be, and in terms of weight, texture and drape its very similar to shrunken lamb. If you go to the previous page of this thread Ive posted a couple of pics of my OTR Raiders in goat. See what you think.

Glenville86

All I did to the jacket was put it in the shower for a couple of minutes using warm water. It dried darker than the original color in most place. Of course, the sleeve wrinkles was from wearing it damp.