Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar

Attila the Professor

Staff member
This wouldn't have been my first guess for an Indy-themed bar in reality, and I'm a little concerned about it being potentially too close in theme to, say, a Joe's Crab Shack, but this'll be interesting to watch. The prominent mention of a Pisco cocktail is a great sign; "Rolling Boulder Meatballs" are less of a reason to cheer. Love the looks of that airplane-side seating.

Here's the Disney Parks Blog release:

Darcy Clark said:
Tucked in between the soon-to-be-expanded Paradiso 37 and recently opened BOATHOUSE restaurant, a new Disney owned and operated Food & Beverage offering has been taking shape. Today, I?m thrilled to share more details on this aviation-themed lounge, Jock Lindsey?s Hangar Bar.

NJHR5685964.jpg

With a prime location along Lake Buena Vista and seating for 150, the venue will feature unique cocktails ? such as the ?Hovito Mojito? with Barsol Quebranta Pisco, fresh lime juice and simple syrup ? and small plates such as ?Air Pirates Everything Pretzels? with house-made mustard and beer cheese fondue.
The design team has gone to great lengths to ensure that every element ? from the propeller-based ceiling fans and diving bell ?booth? to the ?Rolling Boulder Meatballs? on the menu ? fits within the storyline.

NJHR5685963.jpg

And just what is that story? Ardent fans of the ?Indiana Jones? films may recognize Jock Lindsey as Indy?s frequent pilot; he?s also the owner of a pet snake named Reggie ? an important detail, trust me on this! In the main room, guests will discover an expansive bar, aviation decor filling the room, vintage travel posters covering the walls and correspondence between Jock, Indy and their fellow adventurers on display. Guests can eat, drink and be merry outside as well, in Jocks? old steamboat, now in permanent dry dock and aptly named ?Reggie;? and in nearby seating on the adjacent deck.

TheFedora

Very interesting... although I think what we all wanted was for a 'Club Obi Wan' to be made into reality. :D Or even 'The Raven', but I guess this works too, and nice to see the pilot get some recognition here at least.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Kiddo can't turn 10 fast enough. That's when I take two weeks on said East Coast, away from the Original.

dr.jones1986

I am very excited by this. I am surprised that they are doing a bar around a character as minor as Jock, who only hardcore fans will recognize. It is great that Disney is doing things that will be of interest to Indiana Jones fans. After rumors that Disney was going to close the stunt show, hopefully this proves that Indy is a part of Disney's Lucasfilm agenda and a harbinger of Indy 5.

I totally agree with "Attila" about the Pisco cocktail. I am hopeful that this place will have not only an old time aviation theme but also an adventure outpost aspect as well which is a big part of Trader Sam's. The vintage Pan Am Peru poster in the concept art is hopefully a sign that the South American outpost aspect is a part of this bar.

JasonMa

My guess is that Disney was aiming for a "neutral" ground between the general public and Indy fans. Club Obi Wan would be very fan-themed, as would the Raven. With Jock's if you're not an Indy fan it still looks like a cool aviation-themed bar (similar to the watercraft themed restaurant next door). If you are an Indy fan though you get it and want to check it out and find all the little touches.

i'm very excited not only at the thought of thee bar but at the indication that Disney sees value in the Indy license and will be making use of it.

Also if you're in the theme park area in FL and are looking for a south-seas aviation style bar check out Jake's American Bar at the Royal Pacific Resort at Universal. We stayed at the hotel last fall and had dinner there one night. They're definitely going for the "American bar in SE Asia in the 30's and 40's" feel with an aviation theme. The food was good too. :gun:

https://www.universalorlando.com/Hotels/Loews-Royal-Pacific-Resort/Restaurants/Jakes.aspx

IAdventurer01

Given the location the theme makes a lot of sense. The warm climate and tropical atmosphere doesn't exactly lend itself to Nepal, and Club Obi-wan is probably a bit too formal as well.

Very cool, and it's nice seeing the Indy property getting a little love!

InexorableTash

I'm pleasantly surprised. Disney (thanks to Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm) does seem to be on a roll with fan-appreciation moves like this. But still - wow.

Do expect the inevitable pre-boot to feature Jock and Indy. Gotta synergize!

I am also reminded of San Francisco's dearly departed Caribbean Zone, a restaurant/bar featuring a partial airplane fuselage as part of the tropical decor.

Plaristes

I've gotta have the Indy/Jock correspondence for my timeline! I really hope Disney releases the text online, or at the very least I hope someone here can go to the restaurant and snap pics of all the correspondence and shares them. :whip:

JasonMa

Plaristes said:
I've gotta have the Indy/Jock correspondence for my timeline! I really hope Disney releases the text online, or at the very least I hope someone here can go to the restaurant and snap pics of all the correspondence and shares them. :whip:
If nobody has done so by the end of the year I'll do my best to get pics while I'm there in December.

Lance Quazar

This makes me unbelievably happy.

Just the other day, I was saying to a friend, "Hey, we need to go to Las Vegas! It's been too lon- oh, wait. Nevermind. Quark's Bar isn't open anymore. Guess I never need to go back to Vegas."

I'll go back to WDW just for this bar alone.

Stoo

Attila the Professor said:
Love the looks of that airplane-side seating.
Me, too! The blurb mentions that "every element...fits within the storyline". Which storyline?:confused:
TheFedora said:
Very interesting... although I think what we all wanted was for a 'Club Obi Wan' to be made into reality.
Speak for yourself. I think this is a much better idea for an Indy-themed bar.
InexorableTash said:
I am also reminded of San Francisco's dearly departed Caribbean Zone, a restaurant/bar featuring a partial airplane fuselage as part of the tropical decor.
Say what? Would love to find out more about this!
Plaristes said:
If any of it relates to Jock's appearances in the comics, I'll be mightily impressed (but won't hold my breath).

---
I hope you Disney Dorks take plenty of photos!

InexorableTash

Re: The Caribbean Zone

It was a "tiki" bar located in a building decorated with corrugated tin walls on the outside nestled under the freeway. Closed in 2000 and even the site is unrecognizable due to ongoing work on the freeway/ramps/Transbay Terminal.

The interior was done up with tropical foliage and upstairs seating was the crashed fuselage of a small plane (the actual tour plane of the Doobie Brothers!). The windows were placed with monitors showing a loop of flying over tropical islands.

Unfortunately, the bar closed up just before the camera phone was common so there are precious few pictures online. But google for "caribbean zone" "san francisco" and you'll find a few, mostly of the outside. I was lucky enough to go a few times when I worked nearby in '96-'97. If I recall, the food was pretty good too - pupu platters, hawaiian burgers, chicken skewers.

Re: Indy-themed bar

I can't imagine them pulling off a "Club Obi-Wan". For starters, the name would make everyone think "Star Wars". For another, while a supper club is nice, it's not particularly adventuresome. I could maybe see them slapping the name on a rebooted "Adventurer's Club", reframed from the 1890s to the 1930s, but at that point it's a remix of Trader Sam's (Anaheim) and the proposed Jock Lindsey's. (To which I have no objection.)

(Okay, total tangent here. There's an underutilized space in Disneyland's Adventureland, previously the Tahitian Terrace (restaurant/show), now Aladdin's Oasis (mostly shuttered?), and occasionally used for Indy-themed events (Summer of Mystery shows, and the "IJ Adventure 20th" presentation). I know Disney wants more adult-themed dining options in that park, to the point of exploring serving alcohol outside Club 33 (gasp!). Perhaps someday they'll revamp that area back into a tropical restaurant, drawing on the '30s styling of Adventureland. Having seating that overlooked the Jungle Cruise much like the Blue Bayou overlooks PotC would be swell.)

micsteam

They announced Jock Lindsey's Wednesday last week literally the night before I was going up to WDW !!! It was very cool but did not make it over to Down Town Disney (future Disney Springs) to see where it is going in, however, I'm going back to WDW this fall late October/early November for a week and it is supposed to be up and running by that point so you can be sure I will have been there at least 2-3 times during my stay ( and of course I will have pics to post and news to share !!). I did go last Thursday to Trader Sam's and I have to say it was GREAT !!! I had an Uh-Oha ( which two people are supposed to share but I drank it by myself) and a Zombie.... awesome drinks !!! Great atmosphere, fun servers, and overall great experience but most of the people attending really didn't get it ( I think most of them thought it was an early bird special at Denny's and didn't know what to do with themselves... you don't go to this place for the food menu !! Lol!!). My only knock was that it only sits 51 people, I got there at opening time at 4pm and there was 40 person line. Also, great to see some familiar faces back here at the Raven !!:hat:

Joe Brody

In the restaurant biz you always have to be looking for ways to reduce your losses . . . . I would have gone with Katanga's Cove.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
In the restaurant biz you always have to be looking for ways to reduce your losses . . . . I would have gone with Katanga's Cove.

Complete with an overweight middle eastern man singing slightly off key endless Gilbert and Sullivan tunes?

Joe Brody

Pale Horse said:
Complete with an overweight middle eastern man singing slightly off key endless Gilbert and Sullivan tunes?

Exactly.

On one end of the joint would be Sallah's Celebrity Stage and at the other end would be the Bantu Wind Bar -- and walk-up counter service made to look like a ticket counter for a tramp steamer line.

I gotta admit while I love anything that helps promote and deepen the franchise, it irks me that Jock gets the nod over Captain Katanga. I link the growing irrelevance of the franchise in part due to its lack of diversity and it would be great if something could be done other than with characters of European origin.