Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar

Forbidden Eye

This is truely fantastic! Seeing how the problem with Indiana Jones is the lack of interest from the general public with the characters outside of Indy, it's really cool to see Disney dedicate an entire bar to one!

As cool as it looks though, I recently moved to the other coast so I don't know the next time I will be in Florida. Guess I'll have to make due with Trader Sam's for now.

island_boy

I was just there at Downtown Disney

And they're building a TON of new stuff. Will have to go in the Winder and check it out. Hope it works out well for them - and us!

Island Boy

Attila the Professor

Staff member
There's more menu info released. Some of the names are misses, such as Dr. Elsa's She-Deviled Eggs. Article from the Disney Parks Blog quoted at length below; 3 more photos are visible at the link. I've bolded some points I think worthy, namely regarding the menu's breadth of influence.

With an aviation theme (Jock was Indy’s frequent pilot in the “Indiana Jones” films) and a primo waterfront location, Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar will feature food and drinks inspired by Jock’s globe-trotting to all continents – everything from a Hovito Mojito to Dr. Elsa’s She-Deviled Eggs. Details follow.

Guests will get a kick out of the salvaged equipment, spare airplane parts and mementos from Jock’s travels that decorate the 150-seat lounge located between Paradiso 37 and The BOATHOUSE restaurant. Outdoors, his old steamboat (now in dry dock) is a fun place for watching the sunset.

At the core of Walt Disney Imagineering is great storytelling: as the tale goes, Jock made a home at this waterfront property in the 1940s after discovering this charming little town while flying Indiana Jones over the Sunshine State in search of the elusive Fountain of Youth in 1938. As a member of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers, Jock often welcomed his globetrotting friends to his hangar for a drink and fun times.

Now Jock and Indy may be gone, but his legendary adventures live on at this exotic watering hole. And that’s what gives the place its charm – and a creative menu of adventurous tastes.

Along with beer and wine, start with clever cocktails such as Reggie’s Revenge and The Fountain of Youth featuring Florida vodkas; Hovito Mojito and The Bitter Barkeep with Peruvian Pisco; Anything Goes with an Asian spirit that packs a little heat; The Aviator’s Flight and The Scottish Professor, and that Cool-headed Monkey with African spirits.

Each of the small plates has a delicious twist, and they’re great for sharing. Dr. Elsa’s She-Deviled Eggs are brined in beet juice with lump crab filling. “Good” Dates feature goat cheese-stuffed dates with Marcona almonds and pickled veggies. Snack of Ra gives a taste of Africa with salads and dips served with injera (bread) and naan crisps. Tanis Tacos are filled with falafel, shredded lettuce and cucumber-tomato salad. The pretzels come with house-made mustard and beer-cheese fondue.

A little more substantial are the Rolling Boulder Sliders with three spice meatballs on mini-buns with yogurt sauce. Or Brody Brats, grilled bratwurst with mustard and pickled cabbage. Jock Lindsey’s Hangar Bar’s take on chicken wings features spicy Asian wings (called “Lao Che’s Revenge”). And “Squid! Why’d It Have to Be Squid” is fried calamari flatbread with spicy harissa.

Here's those deviled eggs, in front of the Good Dates.

THBFC90891.jpg

Also, a mid-construction photo at Main Street Gazette shows a really nice riverboat seating area.

Reggie%2B-%2BHangar%2BBar%2B%252807-15%2529.jpg

I just can't figure out if The Bitter Barkeep was named after me, Finn, or Pale.

JasonMa

Does this fit into the timeline correctly? Still trying to figure if it works:

after discovering this charming little town while flying Indiana Jones over the Sunshine State in search of the elusive Fountain of Youth in 1938.

Looks like all systems are go for me to visit when I'm down there in December! :whip:

Also, more pics here:

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/jock...15-jock-lindsey's-hangar-bar-construction.htm

http://cdn.wdwmagic.com/imgstore/ElementGalleryItems/dining/Fullsize/Jock-Lindsey's-Hangar-Bar_Full_24836.jpg?width=1280&quality=90&encoder=freeimage&progressive=true

Last edited by a moderator:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
JasonMa said:
Does this fit into the timeline correctly? Still trying to figure if it works:

[...]after discovering this charming little town while flying Indiana Jones over the Sunshine State in search of the elusive Fountain of Youth in 1938.

Not sure. Anyone know if there's a date pinned to the Tokyo DisneySea version of the Indiana Jones Adventure? Looks like that's the most canonical coverage of the topic to contend with.

JasonMa

Wiki says the attraction is set in 1930s Mexico. It also has a seaplane with C-3PO as the registration number parked next to it. Maybe Jock had to change the registration on his plane at some point?

Le Saboteur

Attila the Professor said:
I just can't figure out if The Bitter Barkeep was named after me, Finn, or Pale.

Hmm... a version of the Suffering Bastard perhaps? Or the Missionary's Downfall?

Conceptually I dig it, but now having been to the five open Disney Parks I'm disappointed. This could have been a full-blown churrascaria (think Brazilian steakhouse) offering a pan-Latin American menu; instead we get more vaguely global fusion food filtered heavily through a Mid-Western palate.

The Harambe Market in the Animal Kingdom is a good example.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2WvZ4HZLZdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A corn dog with yellow curry in the batter. They could have done better.

That said, the American parks have the worst dining options overall.

That said, I'm holding out for the recently announced (and nearly lost in the D23 hoopla) Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen!

buciewho743892-613x454.jpg

From the blog:

Jennifer Fickley-Baker said:
At the Jungle Skipper Canteen, guests will be able to experience ?World Famous Jungle Cuisine? in one of several unique dining rooms ? including a crew mess hall and a once-hidden secret meeting room of the famed Society of Explorers and Adventurers. The restaurant will also be staffed by Jungle Cruise Skippers.

The Jungle Skipper Canteen is currently under construction and will open its doors in late 2015. Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more.

If we're lucky maybe the menu from the entrance queue will make an appearance in some form!

Jungle-Cruise-Atmosphere-Crew-Mess-Menu-600x468.jpg

Pay attention to that Society of Explorers & Adventurers.

JasonMa

We ate at the Harambe Marketplace in June and, yeah, not that impressive. We had 3 of the entrees (corn dog, kabob flatbread, ribs) and none of them were bad thy just weren't particularly noteworthy. Nice to have another option in Animal Kingdom but not something that's on my must eat list when we're back in December.

JasonMa

Jock's opens Sept. 22nd!

http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining/jock-lindsey's-hangar-bar/news/14sep2015-disney-sets-opening-date-set-for-jock-lindseys-hangar-bar.htm

roundshort

I always chuckle when people critique food at a place like WDW or WDL esp. in park dining.

Here are a couple of points - a WDL exec recently told me that in the global Disney budget ALL F&B (from a bag of popcorn or a coke to a private dinner for 2 a Victoria and Albert's or a club 33 membership) revenue accounts for less than 1% of Disney revenue. So how much time do you really think is spent on menu development - hence all the corporate tie ins (Think the YaK & Yeti or whatever it is called).

Then you have to think about actually keeping the guest happy. With the millions of guests coming in you have to keep everyone happy. As any chef worth their weight in salt will tell you - you season to the level of the person most sensitive to seasonings.

If you walk into a park with the scope and scale of WDW or WDL (or any of the other countries) and think you find French Laundry food - well you are in for a long life.

I have always been happily surprised by the quality and consistency of the offerings. But maybe because I had such low expectations.

Pale Horse

Staff member
So, if WDW averages 50K people a day across a year, that money taken in is only...

gasp 1% of their take in revenue. Gobsmacked.

That's like feeding an army. Everyday. 365. Wow. Perspective is everything.

JasonMa

Menu is published:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/downtown-disney/jock-lindseys-hangar-bar/menus/

Appetizers:
Good Dates
Snack of Ra
Tanis Tacos
Brody's Brats
"Squid! Why'd it have to be Squid?"
Rolling Boulders Sliders
Air Pirate's Pretzels
Dr. Elsa's She-deviled Eggs
Lao Che's Revenge

Non-Alcoholic Drinks:
Antidote
Poisonless Dart
Teddy's Tea
Diving Bell

Signature Alcoholic Drinks:
Anything Goes
Bedtime Story
German Mechanic
The Bitter Barkeep
Safari Sangria
Pancho's Margarita
Bam's Barnstormer
Fountain of Youth
Shorty's Singapore Sling
The Scottish Professor
Hovito Mojito
Cool-headed Monkey
Air Pirate's Mule
Wrong Island!
Hail Marty
Reggie's Revenge

Whisky Flight:
Aviator's Flight

InexorableTash

indytim said:
A video showing the opening and a pretty extensive look around the bar is now on YouTube ... http://youtu.be/PaZqQ53K1Iw

The video zooms in to feature a bunch of "prop" items in the decor:

* Headpiece to the Staff of Ra
* Golden Idol
* Voodoo dolls (Indy, but also Short Round and Willie)

But most surprisingly, next to the Headpiece is:

* Atlantean Medallion from FOA (!)

Anyone spot others hidden in the background?

There's a cameo/locket (near the Headpiece) and a knife on top of a shelf, but I couldn't identify either of those.

Plaristes

I want to read those newspaper articles we catch glimpses of! And weren't there supposed to be letters to/from Jock in various places? I didn't notice any of those.