Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar

Stoo

InexorableTash said:
* Atlantean Medallion from FOA (!)

Anyone spot others hidden in the background?

There's a cameo/locket (near the Headpiece) and a knife on top of a shelf, but I couldn't identify either of those.
The "Fate of Atlantis" necklace was quite a nice surprise. It amazes me how they can get a nice detail right while getting so many other things wrong. There are also 2 pith helmets and 1 steel Brody* helmet hanging about.

*Not to be confused with Marcus Brody but the typical British/Canadian/American helmet of WW1.

A large photo to the left of the entrance shows a woman in jodhpurs posing in front of an aeroplane and I'm wondering if that's Amelia Earhart or not.
Plaristes said:
I want to read those newspaper articles we catch glimpses of!
Me, too!:) My burning question is: Who are "Jeff" and "Samantha Sterling"?:confused:
JasonMa said:
I'll be getting one of those on my trip!
All of those drinks look delicious but let me ask you this: Do you & your wife travel anywhere beyond Disneyland/Walt Disney World?:confused:

JasonMa

My mother-in-law, until she passed earlier this year, worked at Walt Disney World for the last 10 years. So our trips to Walt Disney World are actually "visiting her parents" trips. ;) My wife was at Disneyland for the first time in almost 9 years in July.

We're heading to Seattle later this month to see my family and we're working on a trip to Hawaii next year. London probably the year after that. :whip:

TheFedora

I am putting this place on my list of places to stop by should i ever go to Disney World again... Especially because the last time I went, I was a kid and now that I am a college graduate I can actually appreciate bars.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Stoo said:
The "Fate of Atlantis" necklace was quite a nice surprise. It amazes me how they can get a nice detail right while getting so many other things wrong.

This seems a suitable place for a reminder that Brandon Kleyla, who directed that Indyfans doc, is a set dresser for Walt Disney Imagineering.

Stoo said:
My burning question is: Who are "Jeff" and "Samantha Sterling"?:confused:

It'd appear that Samantha Sterling was one of the characters at the Adventurer's Club, a sort of precursor to this joint.

Lao_Che

Jock-Lindseys-Hangar-Bar_Europe-15-0044-700x466.jpg

Nice to see some Young Indy bars get the hat tip. :hat:

(Though shame on you Disney/Jock for having the Chinese kid played by a Vietnamese actor inspire a drink with Singapore in its name.)

Le Saboteur

InexorableTash said:
Anyone spot others hidden in the background?

Not Indy related, but there are at least two references to The Rocketeer hidden around the room. Dollar to the first one that spot 'em.

The folks over at Mouse Steps were the first through the doors, and put together a rather comprehensive video of the hangar.*

* - I don't remember the exact numbers, but early "jet" fuel was highly, highly flammable. Modern jet fuel has a flashpoint of ~100 degrees Fahrenheit and an autoignition point of 410 degrees Fahrenheit. So, while not uncommon, is an enclosed wooden hangar the brightest idea, Jock?

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cvolypxKs-k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you fast forward to the 10:49 mark, the barman lists the number of Easter Eggs in the building without giving away the locations.

Attila the Professor said:
It'd appear that Samantha Sterling was one of the characters at the Adventurer's Club, a sort of precursor to this joint.

Bite your tongue, sir. And drop your drawers!

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zDVOZe1qLz8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Attila the Professor said:
This seems a suitable place for a reminder that Brandon Kleyla, who directed that Indyfans doc, is a set dresser for Walt Disney Imagineering.

He doesn't appear to be outwardly involved though. Everything seems to indicate that he's heavily involved in bringing Avatarland to fruition.

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
Not Indy related, but there are at least two references to The Rocketeer hidden around the room. Dollar to the first one that spot 'em.
1) A "Bigelow's Air Circus" banner
2) A filing cabinet drawer marked, "Howard H."

Also, Indy & Marcus each have their own drawer (as well as Amelia.)

Le Saboteur

Stoo said:
1) A "Bigelow's Air Circus" banner
2) A filing cabinet drawer marked, "Howard H."

That's one. The nod to the late Mr. Hughes is far too general to be tied to the movie in question. You'd suspect that Jock would know Howard as a fellow hotshot pilot. Now if they had the plans to the X-1(?) lying about that'd be something to crow about. In fact, I suspect there might be more 'layering' from The Rocketeer than the Indy exploits.

rocketeer.jpg

No respectable German Mechanic is going to be caught dead drinking a shandy!

Stoo

JasonMa said:
My mother-in-law, until she passed earlier this year, worked at Walt Disney World for the last 10 years. So our trips to Walt Disney World are actually "visiting her parents" trips. ;) My wife was at Disneyland for the first time in almost 9 years in July.

We're heading to Seattle later this month to see my family and we're working on a trip to Hawaii next year. London probably the year after that. :whip:
Thanks for the explanation, Jason (but sorry to hear about your mother-in-law). The reason for asking was because, in the past, some members expressed a wish to travel to Egypt & whatnot, yet kept $pending their ca$h by going to 'Di$neyland' on a regular basis. It's good to see the world instead of a fake version. Hope you & your wife make it to London!

Speaking of Hawaii...somewhere in the bar is a dinosaur tooth given to Jock by the "Jurassic Park"* character, John Hammond, for flying him to Hawaii.

*The Spielberg connection & the owning of ILM are the only excuses for this non-Disney nonsense.(n)

---
Ironically enough, my girlfriend happens to be at Walt Disney World RIGHT NOW (for a 3-day conference, though, not for pleasure). It's her 1st time at the Florida park and she's staying at the Animal Kingdom Hotel, with a savannah of giraffes & zebras right outside of her room windows.

Unfortunately, I couldn't go this week!:mad: She's not an Indy fan so I had to clarify why a visit to the Hangar Bar was mandatory. She'll try to get over to Jock's for the sole purpose of buying me a 'Cool Headed Monkey' mug/glass/cup. Fingers crossed!:D

Last edited:

JasonMa

Nice!

Funny that you mentioned Jurassic Park. The reason for the Hawaii trip (well, like you need a reason to go to Hawaii) is my nephew's first birthday luau. My brother-in-law is Hawaiian and its a big thing in that culture to have a luau for a child's fist birthday. He grew up on Oahu until high school when his mom moved to Seattle. When he was younger his Dad worked on the ranch on Oahu where they filmed parts of Jurassic Park and he saw them filming it Specifically the Galimimus stampede (The "They're um...they're flocking this way!" scene with Grant and the kids).

micsteam

Cool stuff everybody !! Yes Saboteur, no German mechanic is going to drink a Shandy !! Lol !! Well I finally got to Jock's a few weeks ago but it was late at night, sucks because I can't upload pics directly from my laptop.. sorry guys ! It was good but to be honest it could've been anyone's bar, it was really good .. excellent fittings and memorabilia, but did not feel Indyesque. I'm going back in early December hopefully I'll have a chance to go back in and see it with a more live environment but I will tell you this the drinks were good and STIFF !! Whoa !! :hat:

Stoo

Le Saboteur said:
That's one. The nod to the late Mr. Hughes is far too general to be tied to the movie in question. You'd suspect that Jock would know Howard as a fellow hotshot pilot. Now if they had the plans to the X-1(?) lying about that'd be something to crow about. In fact, I suspect there might be more 'layering' from The Rocketeer than the Indy exploits.
Does this mean that I get only 50¢ instead of $1?:) Seriously, though, you might as well spill the 2nd "Rocketeer" reference because nobody else is having a go at it.

JasonMa,
The luau sounds like a lot of fun and I hope you have a great time.:) Jealous!

micsteeeeeeeeeeam!
Congrats on being the 1st Ravenhead at Jock's!!!:hat: Too bad that I couldn't go this past week because we could've met up there. Nice to hear that the drinks are loaded and wouldn't have expected that. Times have certainly changed.

----
My dear darling made the effort to visit the bar just for me (by taxi because it was so far from her Animal Kingdom hotel) and got a COOL HEADED MONKEY mug!!! WooHoo! What a gal, eh?(y)

Stoo

I won't see it in person for another week but she sent a quick photo. To me, it looks better in the illustration.

Apparently, the drink was good. When I finally have it my hands I'm going to fill it with either a strawberry daiquiri or rum & raspberry JELL-O for a nice, chilled monkey brain experience.:D

CoolHeadedMonkeyMug_zpshdr9elag.jpg

micsteam

Hey Stoo, I got Shorty's Singapore Sling and a Air Pirate's Mule .. whew !! I did buy a mug from one of the drinks and it's a monkey head but not the " Cool Headed Monkey " mug your girl picked up for you. As I said it was late, which was nice so you had room to move around, but it was winding up and maybe 4 or 5 people still in there. I did take pics but I'm trying to figure the best way to post up pics without having to put a link. Anyway it was enjoyable. Also I went to Trader Sam's Grog Grotto in May for Star Wars Weekends and it was a lot of fun, I had the Uh-Oa! and the Shrunken Zombie Head and bought both mugs/urns and that was a lot of fun but I suspect the original in DL is more my gist as the Grotto has a more 60's psychedelic theme. :hat:

Joe Brody

Nice joint -- but on a night (Thanksgiving eve) of high volume in Disney Springs, Jock's was only 70 or so percent full. Only had a glass of wine so I can't comment on themed drinks but the food was decent.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Dartholes in the Fuselage is playing at Coachella again this year. Great band.

But seriously, that's detail, well done.