"I did what I did..."

LaoChe

What the heck did he do?

"I was a child, I was in love... IT WAS WRONG AND YOU KNEW IT!!!"

"Look, I did what I did. You don't have to be happy about it but maybe we can help each other out now..."

I know this MUST have been discussed here ad nauseum. But I'm new here, and I really need someone to help me with this mystery.

Just what did Indy do? If Marion was in love with the wrong person, and Indy did 'something' to sabotage it, then shouldn't she be happy once realizing it was wrong?

Or if she was in love with another man, and Indy ran off never to return, then what the heck is Marion so peeved about?

I've turned this over so many times, I just can't picture a scenario that would warrant Marions reaction.

Any takers?

EDIT - thnx Finn!! (wrote it from memory!)

Last edited:

grumpus

thats pretty much what i think too, that you know they liked each other, then Indy went away with someone else, or maybe just left to go after some artifact

the hammer42

From what I read he slept with her, got into a fight about that with Abner. He told Indy to get out without saying goodby to Marion. So Indy left and came back fifteen years later.
She was heart broken.

There is a great story there.
I hope they will write a book about that.

grumpus

yeah, thats pretty much what i had in mind, but someone doesnt write about it we will only be able to make assumptions.

LaoChe

the hammer42 said:
From what I read he slept with her, got into a fight about that with Abner. He told Indy to get out without saying goodby to Marion. So Indy left and came back fifteen years later.
She was heart broken.

I think you nailed it. This is definately a great episode of the Chronicles of Young Indy.

Man I wish they explored his character more....

Finn

Staff member
If we look at the timeline here... and it really happened ten years ago (not fifteen as someone here stated) and don't think Marion is older than 25 in Raiders... that means he must have been very young when the "incident" happened. Which gives us quite a new insight to Indiana Jones' moral conscience... or at least to that what it was back then. (Or up to 28... which wouldn't make it <i>that</i> bad.)

<small>And BTW, she doesn't say "I was young"... she says "I was a child".</small>

Last edited:

Canyon

the hammer42 said:
She was heart broken.

There is a great story there.
I hope they will write a book about that.

That's basically what I thought, except it was 10 years later and not 15. ;)

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
LaoChe said:
The filthy bastard!! Aaaawww, I forgive him...

lol :D

But you are right.. that's a big difference in age. Especially because she's a minor and he an adult.

Finn

Staff member
But then again, Indy tells Marion that "You knew what you did", so... maybe it was she who took the initiative? Marion may think Indy as a bastard who used her, but perhaps she does it because he was so handsome, charming, irresistible etc. that her foolish teenage mind made her to open her legs before the timing was proper... you know, she slipped under his sheets, not the other way around.

Any man knows that if you suddenly find a female body there next to you and even if somewhere deep inside your mind a faint voice tells that everything's not right here, it still requires quite some stamina to say it out loud...

The possibility is that Indy didn't in fact seduce Marion... he just gave in like any other man might do.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Yeah.. that be most logic.
I think it be more likely for a young girl to fall for a man like Indy, then a man like Indy (who I'm sure could easily 'be' with a girl his own age) to fall for such a young girl.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
It was also 1926...different times then. But, I suppose that is why Abner got so mad.

I always figured that Indy left Marion at the alter, but only after he and Aber had their fight. I see the scene something like this:

Marion set her hairbrush down on the vanity table and admired herself in the mirror. It was the day she had always dreamed of. Finally, she and Indiana would be wed. Her father, Abner, was against their union saying that Indy was too brash and would never settle down, but Marion thought otherwise.
She thought of raising children, owning a home on the French Rivera, and the adventure that their life together would bring.
Her thoughts were interrupted as she spied the reflection of her father standing in the doorway to her room. The expression on his face told Marion that he bore bad news. In his right hand he held a letter clenched tightly against his chest.
"Marion," he cleared his throat. "I'm afraid I have bad news." He held the letter out towards her.
Marion's face went pale, and with shaking hands retrieved the letter from her father. Slowly, deliberately, she opened the letter and read its contents:

Dear Marion, I apologize for leaving without talking to you first. But I can't live like this anymore. Abner is just holding me back and slowing me down. I will come back for you.
With love, Indiana

With hot tears splashing down her face, Marion swore to herself that she would never love again.

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Nice story. :)
You write well.

But I have to admit.. When I think back of that scene in Nepal, in Raiders.. I had something in the line of Finn's story in mind.
I didn't think of an altar.. Just a fling that got a little bit out of hand...

Last edited:

Pan Rado

About the age difference comments: it's a pulp adventure universe, and despite all the violence, a light hearted one (i mean, could you get over Indy killing all those nazis in cold blood during the Brunwald sequence in Last Crusade if it wasn't shown in such a cherry, comic way?). Indy and Marion didn't have to make sex (or even kiss for that matter) to a) **** off Abner and b) still make the main players consider their earlier relationship a significant one. Especially in young, inexperienced Marion's mind.

Last edited:

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
Well? Indy's conversation with Brody before he went to Nepal? Indy's conversation with Marion in Nepal? I don't know.. Seems they're taking it rather serious for something that was mostly in "young, inexperienced Marion's mind".

Pan Rado

Okay, you're right there. But still, i was having similar conversations (as Indy did with Marion) and feelings with my ex-ex girlfriend (as in: my current one), and in our *first* relationship we weren't really that intimate. Of course, she's a bit older, and i was the one angy at her for what "she did", my arguement notwithstanding.

Last edited:

Ayrun

Moderator Emeritus
I see you're point.
But how do I say this without it sounding offensive ( because this isn't meant offensive at all )? but this is Indy we're talking about. ;) Something tells me it was more then just a platonic relationship.