"I did what I did..."

Indyologist

Strider said:
I think your makeing Abner sound kind of strict, he seemed pretty easy going to me. I don't think he would really get to angry unless there was err... sexual contact.

I always pictured Ravenwood as strict. From what I heard from my dad, most parents back then were strict to begin with. Please also bear in mind that fathers are particulary protective of their daughters. I know this from experience.

Also, in one part in the novelization of Raiders when Marion recalls her relationship with Indy, Abner warns Marion to stay away from Indiana because he'll just break her heart. Maybe Abner DID love Indy like a son, but it sounds to me like Ravenwood knew Indy was somewhat of a young cad. Perhaps he'd heard of Indy's "exploits" with women. Maybe it was a well known fact on the campus of U of C. Who knows?

Pale Horse

Staff member
Aaron H said:
Point of this being is that Abner, while greatly respected, did live a double life (like Indy) that was quite shadowy at times.

Is this revealed in the novels?

Originally posted (several times ;)) by Indyologist
...abortion...and the loss of first love

abortion in the early 20's would be unheard of, and certainly not the sort of thing the daughter of a professor would do. Runaway, maybe. I am not saying it didn't happen during that time, it just couldn't/wouldn't happen to the Ravenwoods.

Indy1936

abortion in the 20's would not be "unheard of". it usually just went unreported as something that the public didnt need to know

Indyologist

Aaron H said:
Indyologist, please try to combine replies into one post.

Sorry, those dang voices in my head just pop up and say whatever the heck they want without any warning...

There goes another one. Shut up, already! ;)

Seriously, though, I was just responding to different people's comments. I'll try to combine them in the future.

Raiders90

Thought I'd bump this...
Was re-watching Raiders...made me wonder as well: Did Indy make Marion pregnant in 1926, necessitating an abortion?
Her dialogue makes it clear that whatever happened was both more serious than a failed romance and to Marion, it "ruined her life".

"Do you know what you did to me, to my life?"

Teen pregnancy was very much looked down upon in the 1920s. Indy would've had to marry her to 'make an honest woman' out of her. He may have refused, necessitating an abortion on Marion's part.

An abortion in 1926 would've been a very traumatizing and socially stigmatizing procedure, especially for a teenage girl. She would've been thought of as a 'slut'.

Maybe Indy got her pregnant and either
A) Refused to marry her and left
B) Refused to marry her, and was told to leave by Abner
C) He left without knowing she was pregnant and Abner forced her to get an abortion
D) Some variation on the above.

WilliamBoyd8

I always believed that when she was a teenager Marion wanted Indy but that he turned her down for the reasons above (pregnancy, under-age girl) and that is what she was angry about when she met him in Nepal.

:)

Finn

Staff member
Mod note

Raiders112390, now this is how it's done. Keep it up.

That's all. Carry on.

Gear

Seems like a legit ponder...

What's with the seeming policing?

I always assumed they had a romantic fling, Indy moved on and Marion--being young and inexperienced-- remained attached to her first real love, who left her, thus grew resentful for being hurt, dumped and left behind.

Last edited: