Tom Selleck would have been a better Indy

I-Jones

I think they should had given a small role in one of the Indy movies to Tom Selleck and I think the role of Fedora in LC was the best choice, not because of the guy who played Fedora in the movie was bad, just because Tom Selleck could been seen as a Indy style character who gives his fedora hat to young Indy, I think that had to be a cool cameo appearance of Tom Selleck in LC.

DiscoLad

Selleck was also a lot better looking, but that's besides the point.

Yeah...Not like Harrison, what with Selleck's mustache... Man, what an ugly thing to put in Indiana Jones...

Selleck would not have worked as Fedora because it would have been too much of a distraction that takes you out of the film. Fedora is supposed to be shady and mysterious like the Man With No Name. He needed to be an unknown figure whom would inspire the future image of our hero.

Selleck also would not have worked for Indiana Jones. His personality and voice don't fit the character. Raiders would have been like High Road to China. It never would have been as successful. Sometimes fate intervenes with destiny because Harrison Ford was BORN TO PLAY Indiana Jones. Nobody else, and I mean nobody, could have worn the fedora and made it work. That's all Harrison. He made that character.

Snakes

Whenever I see Tom Selleck I always think "This guy was almost Indy?" I honestly don't think Selleck would make NEARLY as good an Indiana Jones as Harrison Ford.

Fish1941

But as far as personal opinions, I saw got a chance to watch the bonus footage (Yay!), and when they showed Selleck delivering some of the lines, it didn't seem like it was working. Of course, that was the audition and all, but that's all I have to go by really. It just seemed really bad. I think Harrison pretty much blows anyone out of the water.

Tom Selleck could have pulled off portraying Indy just as easily as Harrison Ford. He had the looks, the presence and the talent to do the job. That is why Lucas originally hired him in the first place. His Indy would have simply been different. Unfortunately, he also had a TV series to complete, which in the end made him an icon anyway . . . but one different from Ford.

Last edited:

eroc

Fish1941 said:
Tom Selleck could have pulled off portraying Indy just as easily as Harrison Ford. He had the looks, the presence and the talent. His Indy would have simply been different. Unfortunately, he also had a TV series to complete, which in the end made him an icon anyway . . . but one different from Ford.
Harrison is a much better actor than Selleck and he adds things to the character that no one else could. Like what Steven said about the "you're a teacher" line. When Harrison says, "part time" he adds a little grin after delivering the line. Steven said that wasn't scripted, it was just Harrison bringing what only he could to the character.

If you think the movies would have been as big of a success with Selleck as it is with Ford, well then, you just aren't thinking.

Selleck is a TV icon, Ford is a big time movie star. One of the best.

Plus you said unfortunately. Do you wish he had been Indy instead of Harrison?:sick:

Like Spalky said, it would become The High Road To Nowhere

Marty Jones

If Selleck would have played Indy, I'm not so certain we wouldn't have gotten a Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, or Crystal Skull. I don't think the film would have been nearly as popular and I certainly don't think Selleck would have been able to make the character as likable.

Raiders90

eroc said:
Harrison is a much better actor than Selleck and he adds things to the character that no one else could. Like what Steven said about the "you're a teacher" line. When Harrison says, "part time" he adds a little grin after delivering the line. Steven said that wasn't scripted, it was just Harrison bringing what only he could to the character.

If you think the movies would have been as big of a success with Selleck as it is with Ford, well then, you just aren't thinking.

Selleck is a TV icon, Ford is a big time movie star. One of the best.

Plus you said unfortunately. Do you wish he had been Indy instead of Harrison?:sick:

Like Spalky said, it would become The High Road To Nowhere

It wouldn't have become High Road to China because High Road had a different--and much less talented--crew on board. No John Williams, no Spielberg, and no Lucas. I think Selleck could've pulled it off.

http://www.galastars.online.de/newsneu/bilder/larry_manetti_tom_selleck.jpg

http://magnum-mania.com/images/8_10_k_full.jpg

pictures of Selleck in full Indy gear, and this clip of Magnum P.I. Can't you just see the same ruthlessness Indy showed in this scene:

http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Goodbye_Ivan.html

eroc

all i can think of is an episode of magnum that is film noir, and Tom says, in his best Bogey voice, "Haaaallo, sweeeeeethaaaart." It sounded like he was talking through his nose. Come to think of it, he sounded like the Valasic Pickle stork!

Absolutely horrid!

Raiders112390 said:
It wouldn't have become High Road to China because High Road had a different--and much less talented--crew on board. No John Williams, no Spielberg, and no Lucas. I think Selleck could've pulled it off.

http://www.galastars.online.de/newsneu/bilder/larry_manetti_tom_selleck.jpg

http://magnum-mania.com/images/8_10_k_full.jpg

pictures of Selleck in full Indy gear, and this clip of Magnum P.I. Can't you just see the same ruthlessness Indy showed in this scene:

http://magnum-mania.com/Video/Goodbye_Ivan.html

High Road to China was a pretty decent film and had one of the best John Barry scores. It's a beautiful soundtrack. I loved the chemistry between Selleck and Bess Armstrong. When I watch that film I picture Selleck in the role of Indy and it just doesn't work. It couldn't have worked. His personality and mannerisms are completely different from Harrison. Ford really is Indy.

Raiders90

Agent Spalko said:
High Road to China was a pretty decent film and had one of the best John Barry scores. It's a beautiful soundtrack. I loved the chemistry between Selleck and Bess Armstrong. When I watch that film I picture Selleck in the role of Indy and it just doesn't work. It couldn't have worked. His personality and mannerisms are completely different from Harrison. Ford really is Indy.

I'll have to see it. I think it's just hard to picutre him as Indy because A) outside of the screen test, there's no professional footage to go by and B) Because Harrison is so iconic as Indy, he "is" Indy in the public's mind. If Harrison had decided not to join the cast of ToD or LC, that might be different, but as it stands, Ford is Indy. But Selleck would've made an admirable Indy imo.

eroc

Agent Spalko said:

Thank you. The film would have flopped with Selleck as Indy. He's just not that good of an actor. How many films has Selleck been in that spurred a sequel? What's that? Did you say zero?

Marty Jones

eroc said:
Thank you. The film would have flopped with Selleck as Indy. He's just not that good of an actor. How many films has Selleck been in that spurred a sequel? What's that? Did you say zero?

Nicely put. By the way, this thread's title sucks.

Raiders90

eroc said:

Three Men and a Baby (1987)--Highest grossing movie of the year

Three Men and a Little Lady (1990)--Sequel

DarthMickey

Haa-Haa=Haaa! Really now time for DUI Test. Quackley Down under is no Harrison ford. Although I support his views on Guns! Take that Rosie you FAT Ugly Manatee! :D