Indiana Jones References on TV

Goodeknight

There was an episode of Muppet Babies back in the 80s in which a baby Kermit dressed as Indy and went after a golden idol of some sort. Rolling boulder, too, if I recall correctly.

This is the only pic I could find online, and it's obviously a Temple of Doom reference. Don't remember this, so maybe they did a few Indy references on the show.

6a00e54ee7b6428833011278f8662028a4-500wi

Then Kermit grew up and got merchandised.
300px-AdventureKermit.jpg

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Season 2 episode 3 of Community featured a clinician's monologue which boiled down to "the body's not a temple, but a temple of doom, which deteriorates, like certain movie franchises."

Indy's brother

Didn't realize this thread existed, here's one from another thread:

Attila the Professor said:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mqh6f0Pzb7E&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mqh6f0Pzb7E&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And yeah, you aren't kidding...

Hmm, video isn't showing up....sorry

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Moedred said:
Season 2 episode 3 of Community featured a clinician's monologue which boiled down to "the body's not a temple, but a temple of doom, which deteriorates, like certain movie franchises."

I'm glad you posted this; I'd meant to.

From Good Eats with Alton Brown, on the Food Network, the episode on tamales. The Indy relevant section begins about one-minute in, but the full on bit, which name checks the Hovitos, comes in at 4:00 in. (Thanks to Finn's favorite web site as of late for this one.)

XanaduEli

AnnieJones said:
In an episode of Even Stevens called Raiders of the Lost Sausage (2002) (IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0573928/ ),Louis discovers a tunnel in the basement and goes on a journey to find hidden treasure which is a lost golden sausage that Louis and his dad end up looking for.
The title is obviously a reference to Raiders of the Lost Ark and there was a line in it that was also referring to Raiders.Referring to balancing the sausage with something else in its place Louis says something like this to his dad,"Wait I saw this in a movie once.We need something to counter balance the wait."

I just love that they had an Indy reference in a show that stars Shia Laboef. And then six or so years later he gets cast as Indy's son.

AnnieJones

XanaduMel said:
I just love that they had an Indy reference in a show that stars Shia Laboef. And then six or so years later he gets cast as Indy's son.
I thought that it was a funny coincidence because father(Steve Stevens played by Tom Virtue)and son(Louis Stevens played by Shia LaBeouf)were looking for a historical artifact and in KOTCS Indy and Mutt(again,father and son)were looking for a historical artifact.

Indy's brother

Well, according to this site, The Vampire Diaries included these references in one episode:

Aztec legends
Snakes in the well.
Damon ripping out Mason's heart.

I don't follow this program myself, however; the official site of "The CW" seems to be a little over 2 weeks behind airings for posting full episodes online, but it should be available at their site soon.

AnnieJones

On December 06th (2010) an Indy reference was made in the show Castle.The Castle episode was called Last Call and the Indy reference was made by Kate Beckett.
Richard Castle and Kate Beckett found a secret passage and Richard Castle was going to make a make-shift torch out of a plunger,toilet paper,and alcohol.She said something like,"Not so fast Indy." Then she went on to explain that they needed the oxygen.

AnnieJones

Ok,here is the exact quote.

Kate Beckett:What are you doing?

Richard Castle: (he answers while making a torch out of a plunger,toilet paper,and alcohol)We're going to need a light.

Kate Beckett:Not so fast Indy.We're also going to need breathable air.

Indiana Jones or Batman

I'll go the other way with it...

There are a few "references" which Last Crusade makes to S1 E020 of Batman from 1966.

Better Luck Next Time includes Catwoman uniting artifacts which together give the elusive answer/location to the lost treasure of Captain Manx. She even makes a rubbing of the "map" etched onto the "markers."

The other glaring rippoff is the ultimate fate of Cat Woman.

She refuses Batman's request to drop the bag full of treasure and Batman's attemp to help her as she clings to the side of a chasm in a cave.

Guess what happens to her?

The sequels were always increasing in "camp" value, but what a joke!

Going to have to add this to the Last Crusade thread Stoo dug up.

Oh, there's also a mention of The Thuggee in another episode of Batman...one with King Tut.

Last edited:

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'll go the other way with it...

There are a few "references" which Last Crusade makes to S1 E020 of Batman from 1966.

Better Luck Next Time includes Catwoman uniting artifacts which together give the elusive answer/location to the lost treasure of Captain Manx. She even makes a rubbing of the "map" etched onto the "markers."

The other glaring rippoff is the ultimate fate of Cat Woman.

She refuses Batman's request to drop the bag full of treasure and Batman's attemp to help her as she clings to the side of a chasm in a cave.

Guess what happens to her?

The sequels were always increasing in "camp" value, but what a joke!

I did not know that. I should really consult my guide to the Batman TV series.

As a title "Better Luck Next Time" didn't ring true when KOTCS showed its face.

Better Luck Next Time Episode Recap

Synopsis

Batman escapes and rescues Robin from further danger while Catwoman searches for her treasure. The Dynamic Duo finally catch up to her in but at what cost?

Full Recap

After Catwoman slips away to administer nameless horrors to Robin, Batman fends off Tinkerbell long enough to remove from his utility belt a pair of Batclaws, which he uses to climb up the wall and out of harm's reach. Realizing he won't be able to stay there for long, he plugs his Batears with a pair of Batearplugs and subdues the tiger with super-amplified sounds from a Batcommunicator on his utility belt. The Caped Crusader leaps from the wall, takes refuge in the room where the tiger was released and heads out to save his sidekick---only to find himself lost in the catacombs of Catwoman's lair. Meanwhile, Catwoman is on to bigger and badder things, having Robin balanced on the end of a board over a pit of more hungry tigers and supplying sand to the other end of the board. As the sand is released, the board lowers Robin slowly, deeper and deeper into the tiger den! Leaving her henchmen to her own devices, The Catwoman departs in search of Captain Manx's treasure, using a map created by fitting the two Golden Cats together and drawing their outline. Batman saves his chum in the nick of time and pit their fists against Catwoman's lackeys; during the battle, Leo escapes to join his female boss and warn her of Batman's pursuit of her.

The Dynamic Duo spirit the Golden Cats to the Batcave, where they deduce Catwoman's scheme. Soon they are at McElroy Point, where the treasure is supposedly buried and suddenly they find themselves forced to navigate Catwoman's minefield. The pair make use of The Batmobile Batarmor and Automatic Tire Device to escape the mines unscathed, just as Catwoman and Leo locate the treasure in a nearby cave. Overcome by greed, Catwoman double-crosses Leo by gassing him to sleep and she winds up being chased through the dark cave by the arriving Dynamic Duo. Catwoman arrives at the edge a bottomless crevice which she tries unsuccessfully to leap. She barely manages to catch hold of a stalactite on the other side. Batman tries to save Catwoman but she refuses to let go of the treasure, she plummets into the bottomless chasm! Later at Wayne Manor, Alfred, Bruce and Dick, in the midst of playing chess, are surprised by Aunt Harriet, who presents them with Catwoman's pet feline and claims he stole a lobster she was preparing for dinner. Dick merely quips, "He comes from a broken home."

http://www.tv.com/batman-1966/better-luck-next-time/episode/6155/recap.html?tag=episode_recap;recap

That last line also has TLC resonances: "He comes from a broken home."

Since "Better Luck Next Time" was recycling old ideas, the way Indy has always recycled pulp, it was probably all coincidental.

Maybe.

:whip:

Montana Smith said:
I did not know that. I should really consult my guide to the Batman TV series. That last line also has TLC resonances: "He comes from a broken home." Since "Better Luck Next Time" was recycling old ideas, the way Indy has always recycled pulp, it was probably all coincidental. Maybe. :whip:

I goof on the conspiracy theories, but love finding connections all the same.

I hadn't seen any of these for so long, (and their not commercially available;) ) so I've been recording them off TV.

At first the epiphany is a very happy surprise...once she has the intact marker and places the paper over it. I thought she was packing them for travel and then she breaks out the pencil to make the rubbing.

Batman doing his own research and discovering her true plan was another nudge.

But her final scene, after all Batman and Catwoman have a love hate relationship too, was a piano on the head!

Claw mentions "homages" in the other thread, but really, how many "homages" from the same source, nay the SAME EPISODE before you can say "ripoff" and be reasonably correct?

I found the broadcast during the middle of the second season and their only now finishing up the first season. I have to say the differences are interesting. From writing to content to style, the shows evolved AND devolved!

I didn't go into the lighting and shot compositions, but the tilted angles aside there are more similarities!

:D

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
I goof on the conspiracy theories, but love finding connections all the same.

It'd be funny if that really was the source. But it's lucky that we never got 'biff' or 'pow' graphics accompanying the action in TLC. We almost got them in KOTCS, when Robin, er Mutt, was punching his way out of the cafe.

AnnieJones

Another Indy reference was made in the show Castle.The Castle episode was called To Love and Die in L.A. and it was aired on May 2,2011.

Richard Castle:(Talking to Kate)Wow!Somebody's up early.

Kate Beckett:(Saying hello)Hey.

Richard Castle:You pack a murder board?

Kate Beckett:Concierge called down and then 10 minutes later voila.

Richard Castle:Maurice is amazing isn't he?I bet if I ordered the Ark of the Covenant he'd come through.

Kate Beckett:Wouldn't you be afraid to open it?

Richard Castle:No,it only melts Nazis.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
"The Parking Space" on Sienfeld is on right now and George is wearing his fedora and is called Indiana by Jerry and the gang a few times.

JRJENNINGS86

indytim said:
I recently posted this thread about Nathan Fillion donning a fedora in a recent episode of Castle and for a brief few moments living his own little Indy dream ...

http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=20083

that is one of my favorite eppisodes. i love how he leans in close to the mummys sarcophagus and then opens the lid. only to belive he is cursed for looking at the mummy. fortunetly all you have to do is run around a building twice clockwise and knock on a door until someone lets you in to break the curse:hat: