Indiana Jones References on TV

twlightzone1205

I remember an episode of My Sister Sam where the neighbor/boyfriend was dressed in full safari garb and was told while pointing "the Temple of Doom is that way.":)

Indy Scout 117

well its not a TV reference, but you Halo fans will appreciate this.

im not sure which episode it was, but in one of the "Master Chief sucks at Halo Campaign" episodes on youtube, when the chief is going into the Scarab to blow it up, they play Raiders March. it was pretty funny. :p i think it was Episode 3: Joyride, but im not sure....

indytim

Lost Ark Spotted On This Week's White Collar

Did anyone else spot the lost ark in the opening premiere episode of season 3 of White Collar last night? There was a scene about halfway through the episode where the character Mozzie was surrounded by stolen Nazi loot and in a couple of the long shots in the top left of the screen you could clearly see the lost ark sticking out of the top of an opened shipping crate complete with a swastika stenciled on its side. A nice nod to Indy by the set designers there :hat:

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
THREAD MERGED.

All TV references go in here, indytim. Just so you know for future reference.

indytim said:
Did anyone else spot the lost ark in the opening premiere episode of season 3 of White Collar last night? There was a scene about halfway through the episode where the character Mozzie was surrounded by stolen Nazi loot and in a couple of the long shots in the top left of the screen you could clearly see the lost ark sticking out of the top of an opened shipping crate complete with a swastika stenciled on its side. A nice nod to Indy by the set designers there :hat:
Saw a promo during another show but didn't see the ark, will be recording the next broadcast...thanks for the heads up.

Sounds like that show from the 70's...Sword of Justice.

IAdventurer01

The now cliche' Raiders bag switch makes an appearance in musical number for the Phineas and Ferb episode, "We Call It Maze."

<iframe height = "260" width = "400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/l5-D2GX--u8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Phineas's Satipo expression makes the scene, I think.

AnnieJones

On Leverage, in an episode called "The 15 Minutes Job", which aired July 10, 2011, there was a scene where the character Alec Hardison was in a filing room that looked like a small version of Hanger 51. He joked about the Ark of the Covenant being in this filing room.

In an episode of Leverage called "The Van Gogh Job", that aired the following week, on July 17, 2011, the character Sophie Devereaux made a comment about a painting. She said that it "Belongs in a museum". I'm not sure if this was an intentional Indy reference, but it is a popular Indy line and therefore could have been put in the script intentionally.

In "How I Met Your Mother" Marshall gifts Ted a fedora and a whip for his first day as a professor. Later in the episode Ted realizes he was teaching in the wrong classroom, running across the campus to the actual classroom, while the Raiders March is played.

And in one episode of "Friends" Ross dates a girl who is very impressed by him working-out:

Katie: I can tell you work out. A paleontologist who works out. You're like Indiana Jones.
Ross: (realizing) I am like Indiana Jones!

Henry W Jones

Weeds Reference To Indy

On Monday 08-01-2011 "Weeds" brought Heylia James back to the show.
She is out in the sticks growing marijuana of course and Nancy is trying to get her back as a hook-up. While doing her (Heylia) "chores" Nancy is following her through her field of plants and says to Heylia "These plants are beautiful" Heylia responds to her with "Why do you think the whole place rigged like an Indiana Jones movie" Referring to the booby traps they just walked through.

IAdventurer01

Well, it may look like I'm only watching one show on TV, and it's a children's cartoon. That is not necessarily true, but you have to give the show major points because I'm thinking someone on their staff is a big Indy fan.

<iframe height = "260" width = "400" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/B_OS5c5nFfg#t=5m13s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
(ends at 5:41)

I got the reference the second it started. My brother took until the second part of the reference to get it, but to be fair, I was laughing too hard during the first for him to hear the musical cue, which probably would have helped. :D

Last edited:

Attila the Professor

Staff member
So I take it no one else watches Community? In last week's episode, "Remedial Chaos Theory," Abed has constructed a scale model of the rolling boulder scene from Raiders. It's really a case of the internet/DVD culture of viewing offering some fringe benefits for those who want to examine the production design. There's a catch later in the episode that may be intended as a "Bad dates" style move, even an instance of "Water...water...water!"

You can check it out here, if you're stateside. Indy makes his first appearance less than a minute in. (It's character comedy, so I'm not sure how much you'd get out of the entire episode without having followed the series - it's funny stuff, but it's of a certain sort - but it's a fine piece of television.)

Last edited:

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
Walking Dead season 2 premiere.

Creator Robert Kirkman has hinted that the character of Glenn was loosely based on Short Round. The Asian character who sports a "NY Giants" baseball cap in the comic and is always dodging the bad guys to get supplies. In the season opener, he is even called "Short Round" by Daryl.

In addition, in season one, there was the scene of the lead character, Rick Grimes, reaching back for his dropped hat ala Indy in TOD.

AnnieJones

Again another Indy reference was made in the show Castle. They do that a lot I've noticed. The episode was called Eye of the Beholder. It aired on Oct. 17, 2011.

Richard Castle: So, you're kind of like the female Indiana Jones only without the hat and whip.

Serena Kaye: Well, without the hat.

InexorableTash

RaiderMitch said:
Walking Dead season 2 premiere.

Speaking of... Shane is carrying an old-style German alpine infantry rucksack in that episode. That's known as an "KOTCS Backpack" on the gearhead forum.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
While I really wish I could quit a show once I've started watching it, it's not really something I ever do, so...I still watch Family Guy.

The most recent episode, "Seashore Seashell Party" is a bottle episode wherein the family is holed up in the house during a hurricane. At one point, Peter more than a minute of time by singing the "opening chase music from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade." We get both the actual score and Peter's singing along.

And, really, no one watches Community?

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Community is one of the few shows I watch. Gilles tipped me off too, and I tweeted that episode clip. Interesting note, fans diagnosed Abed with Asperger Syndrome, so (according to the Wired interview) Dan Harmon did some research and took some online tests which came back positive for the spectrum. You can even detect a shift away from Jeff as the center of the show, who the creator originally most identified with.

The Drifter

I caught this while watching Good Eats with Alton Brown. It's the cover of his newest cook book, I wonder who he could be dressing as?
alton-brown-good-eats-3.jpg