Temple of the Forbidden Eye

Short Round

roundshort said:
No not of John, but of the Forbidden eye.

What is the best way to enjoy (slash) make a newbie enjoy?

I have riddenthis over 100 times or way more, and I love it.

How do you enjoy it how to you break in a virgin?

??????????????????????????????

Attila the Professor

Staff member
He means the ride, folks.

I don't know, I don't really feel like a newbie to the ride would need much breaking in. I would say that for the full experience you should make sure they move the bamboo pole in the spike room and play with the rope in the main queue room and just generally enjoy the story from the minute you step into the line. And, I suppose, ask if they can be in the driver's seat.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Short Round said:
I knew that was the ride but I didn't understand the question. I like the ride but I think it should be faster.

Oh, surely not. You have to be able to see things along the way. It's not a roller coaster, after all.

sarah navarro

I love it when your standing in line with people who have never riden it and you push the bamboo pole and the spikes come down ,they all scream.:D

Inbanana

I've only been on the ride once at Tokyo Disney Sea. I remember when the ride started and Indiana Jones started talking, me and a friend of mine that I was with just looked at each other and started cracking up... there's just something not right about Indiana Jones talking in Japanese...

I never knew about the bamboo pole or rope, but when I go back there in a couple of weeks I'll try to find them...

A video of the Japanese version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDuasAQMynQ
... I still can't get used to that voice.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Inbanana said:
I've only been on the ride once at Tokyo Disney Sea. I remember when the ride started and Indiana Jones started talking, me and a friend of mine that I was with just looked at each other and started cracking up... there's just something not right about Indiana Jones talking in Japanese...

I never knew about the bamboo pole or rope, but when I go back there in a couple of weeks I'll try to find them...

A video of the Japanese version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDuasAQMynQ
... I still can't get used to that voice.

I'm not sure how much the queue in Tokyo matches up to the original, although I know certain parts (Indy's office, the projection screen) are rather similar. As an aside, is DisneySea as fantastic as it's always sounded?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I had withdrawal symptoms from that ride for months... Mind you, I felt that way about Disneyland as a whole. I went there nearly a year ago now. I went on it twice and would love to do it again if I could. I went to Adventure Outpost everyday I was there. I did all the boobytraps too. The stepping stones, the bamboo pole and the rope. Thanks to everyone's info here beforehand I knew what to do and how to do it and was able to encourage my otherwise nervous brother to go on.

These days I cure my withdrawal by watching the Youtube videos of the ride. The ones where you can see the details.

Inbanana

Attila the Professor said:
I'm not sure how much the queue in Tokyo matches up to the original, although I know certain parts (Indy's office, the projection screen) are rather similar. As an aside, is DisneySea as fantastic as it's always sounded?
Ya, from what I've heard I think they're a little bit different... but they might have something similar to the "traps" in the original, I'll try to keep an eye out for something. As for DisneySea, its been a few years since I've been there... and I can't even remember how long its been since I've been to the California one... so its kinda hard for me to compare the two, but it was fun, and at that time I didn't even know there was an Indiana Jones ride so it was a surprise to me... so that was probably the best part.

Inbanana

I just noticed that the ride is called 'Temple of the Crystal Skull' instead of 'Temple of the Forbidden Eye'... interesting, I always thought that the ride itself was supposed to be pretty much the same. Makes me wonder how real or not some of the rumors flying around about Indy 4 are, hmm...

Last edited:

Junior Jones

Inbanana said:
I just noticed that the ride is called 'Temple of the Crystal Skull' instead of 'Temple of the Forbidden Eye'... interesting, I always thought that the ride itself was supposed to be pretty much the same.

The main difference is the setting. In Disneyland California, the temple's in a southeast Asian jungle. For Japanese guests, an Asian jungle's not that exotic, so they set that one in a Central American jungle. The name (and accompanying legend) changed slightly to accommodate the setting.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Junior Jones said:
The main difference is the setting. In Disneyland California, the temple's in a southeast Asian jungle. For Japanese guests, an Asian jungle's not that exotic, so they set that one in a Central American jungle. The name (and accompanying legend) changed slightly to accommodate the setting.

To add to this: Japanese fire codes wouldn't permit the kind of fire effects so integral to the theming of the Forbidden Eye attraction, and so there was a whirlpool in place of the lava (the footage I've seen of it is still pretty cool). However, there is a fireball effect in place of the never-quite-perfect "rat branch" that has gotten pretty rave reviews.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
True Asian setting isn't exotic to the Japanese, but if you're Australian and you go to the Forbidden Eye, you feel a lot closer to home than 15, 000 km in America. :p

But, yeah Forbidden Eye is awesome. The best ride of all time, seriously!

Niteshade007

Lucky people in California...

I live in Tampa, so Orlando is about an hour away. We have passes to Disney World, and go at least once a month. Last summer I got to go to DisneyLand for the first time, and I LOVED the Indiana Jones ride. Really, I loved all the rides they had. I liked how each ride was different from its Florida counterpart (e.g. Snow White's Scary Adventure, The Haunted Mansion, etc.) Snow White's Scary Adventure though was just...odd. Our's plays out much more like the actual film, whereas the one in DisneyLand just leaves you with this incredibly rushed feeling at the end and it's kind of all over the place. Their Haunted Mansion is shorter, but had better, newer effects (I believe we just got those, since The Haunted Mansion was closed for revamping the entire summer season). We didn't get to go on Pirates of the Caribbean because they had just added Johnny Depp's Captain Jack Sparrow, and were releasing it to the filmmakers first (our trip coincided with the film's premiere).

We have a similar ride to the Indiana Jones ride at Animal Kingdom. It's not the same premise at all, but the mechanics of the ride are the same. You are sent back in time to get this dinosaur, but you are sent back during the meteor shower that killed all the dinosaurs. It's the same car (different look, more modern looking), and the ride is a lot of fun, with dino's jumping out at you, but I would still rather have the Indiana Jones ride.

sarah navarro

I dont live to far from Disneyland i get to go every year and I get to play Disney film scores for the movies,you werent missing anything to special on the Pirates of the Carribean ride the only good part of it is Jack Sparrow he looks so real!The ride was much better before they changed they've turned it into a lame 20 minute ride just like Small World.Last year was the second time I'v ever riden Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye,IT WAS THE BEST RIDE EVER!!!!!but the first time i remember riding it.
I remember the first time I went on it it was scary but thats because I was young, most Disney rides are kind of boring,and the line for Indiana Jones was like 2 hrs long but I rode it 3 times and spent most of my time there and in the Indy store.:D

Niteshade007

We have Captain Jack too (it opened around the same time) but I know what you mean about them changing rides. The Tiki Room, for example. DisneyLand still has the original, whereas we got "the replacement." It's Iago and Zazu screeching along with the other birds. The only good addition is the new goddess they added. She comes out from the center of the room, sings a song (she's kind of like a villain, scary, but not too scary for young children) and then sends Iago away (which is a good thing, but Gilbert Godfrey's voice is not a pleasant one). DisneyLand did change Swiss Family Robinson Tree House though into a more interactive and more fun Tarzan Tree House. I'm hoping we get that update soon.

Oh, and your Fantasy Land and Toon Town are WAY better than ours. I love the architecture, it's actually like you're in a story book land, instead of King Arthur's Court like ours. And Toon Town has ROGER RABBIT! I was so excited about that ride (Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of my favorite films). I kind of want to become a Disney Imagineer because I am always coming up with ideas for Disney to do. Maybe that'll happen.

roundshort

This thread has taken a fun twist. I do a lot of business in Disneyland and Disney World so i am able to go a lot and usually get the gold mickey pin (means no waiting and great dinners at club 33 (sorry had to brag).

The two are so different. I recently had dinner with the Vice President of Epcot and he told me some interesting things. California, esp. OC people are so proud of DL and it gets so much loacl repeat business that they will close each ride as much as it needs to always look fresh and run well. Where as Disney World, people save for many years to go to and is very painful to have to shut down major (e ticket) rides for revamping, an example is the awful condition of the Haunted Mansion in Orlando. I will be there right before Halloween and I am looking forward to seeing it in its former glory. So I have to agree that the Magic Kingdom in DL is the greatest; but, you can not compare the overall Disney World Experience. You have to go for 4 or 5 days to really enjoy it. Epcot is a blast to eat the different countries, drink your way around the world if you want. Animal Kingdom, now with Mt. Everest has made that a true destination and what used to be MGM has such a great feel. If only California Adventure had a bit more to offer.

Always a good time. I will say Napa Rose in the Grand California Hotel is the best Disney restaurant, but V & A's isn't bad or the California Grill is fun also.

Niteshade007

My entire family got sick at the Storybook Cafe at the Grand Californian (where we stayed when we went). My first day at Disney, we did the Tiki Room, went up Tarzan's Tree House, and got through the entire line at Haunted Mansion (my favorite ride at Disney World, and the one ride I had been so looking forward to at DisneyLand). I stepped on the moving platform, and then threw up into the trash can. I spent the rest of the day at their sick room on Main Street. It was quite a disappointment, but overall we still had a great time.

I agree, Californian Adventure really doesn't have much to offer, but it was still a blast just being there.

sarah navarro

I've always wanted to go to DisneyWorld ,but from what im hearing it doesnt seem any better than Disneyland.I've actually become kind of tired of Disneyland,the only good thing is the Indy ride and Space Mountain.:) It takes only about 1 day to get through Disneyland and to get through DisneyWorld it takes a couple doesnt it?That would be more fun to stay in a hotel and keep going back.