Why does everyone hate Temple Of Doom?

The Drifter

In my personal opinion, Temple of Doom actually brings the "feeling" or spirit of Indiana Jones more than the rest.
It has high adventure with that classic pulp feel. Daring escapes, and dark undertones.
But, I'll admit that Raiders is more universally liked. However, Doom is my favorite as I have said so many times before. I feel as if I should defend it (It's like the ugly step-kid. I love it, but not many others feel the same.)

Montana Smith

Lonsome_Drifter said:
In my personal opinion, Temple of Doom actually brings the "feeling" or spirit of Indiana Jones more than the rest.
It has high adventure with that classic pulp feel. Daring escapes, and dark undertones.

But, I'll admit that Raiders is more universally liked. However, Doom is my favorite as I have said so many times before. I feel as if I should defend it (It's like the ugly step-kid. I love it, but not many others feel the same.)

I'm thinking that the Ark ghosts and the deaths at the end of ROTLA really make TOD a natural progression in the story-telling, in dealing with a dark subject matter. However, the increase in cartoon humour was also firmly established as part of Indy-lore in TOD, and has been a part of the following movies.

I'll also defend of TOD, despite Shorty and Willie, as there's so much going for it.

The Drifter

Montana Smith said:
I'm thinking that the Ark ghosts and the deaths at the end of ROTLA really make TOD a natural progression in the story-telling, in dealing with a dark subject matter. However, the increase in cartoon humour was also firmly established as part of Indy-lore in TOD, and has been a part of the following movies.

I'll also defend of TOD, despite Shorty and Willie, as there's so much going for it.

Yes, Temple of Doom started the cartoon-humor for the Indiana Jones franchise. As a kid I loved the banquet scene, but now I feel as if it was way overdone. I wish the scene would have stayed on Indy, Blumburtt, and Chattar Lal and their conversation instead of trying to gross us out with the interplay between Shortie and Willie.

But, I guess they felt that the film needed that dose of humor to counter-balance the dark undertones of the film.
Temple of Doom has a soft spot in my heart (that sounded weird, no?), but I can also see it's flaws as well.

Montana Smith

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Yes, Temple of Doom started the cartoon-humor for the Indiana Jones franchise. As a kid I loved the banquet scene, but now I feel as if it was way overdone. I wish the scene would have stayed on Indy, Blumburtt, and Chattar Lal and their conversation instead of trying to gross us out with the interplay between Shortie and Willie.

But, I guess they felt that the film needed that dose of humor to counter-balance the dark undertones of the film.

We are spookily thinking the exact same things.

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Temple of Doom has a soft spot in my heart (that sounded weird, no?),

No, not weird to me, as I totally get that feeling. I loved it so much I wanted there to be more scenes in Shanghai, more scenes at the palace. It made me hungry to read the novel.

I remember as a kid having a poster from a magazine, depicting Indy being forced to swallow the blood of Kali from the skull. I thought that was such a cool and horrific image, that it made Indy's world seem more adult and more extreme than just a normal family adventure movie.

By comparison TLC was fun, yet not extreme (apart from the severed Hatayan head!) Though I do appreciate the change of pace, and differences in style that the four movies present.

AgentBelloq

I think that possibly because ToD may have received negative reviews that they decided to make The Last Crusade more fun. Maybe perhaps because people thought it was too dark and horrifying that the filmakers decided to make TLC more oighthearted.

I do enjoy ToD because it was differnt from the other two in sense of the story and the dark portrayal of thw Thuggee cult. It's what makes it so unique.

DiscoLad

Stoo said:
Don't know why you quoted my post in order to add your 2 cents, Disco, but since you have...

I didn't say "Doom" was great and only wrote that I love it. Also, what is the 'true' Indiana Jones feeling? A movie which shows Indy in the classroom and deals with a Christian artifact? Up until "Radiers" was re-hashed in 1989, there were only 2 movies and ToD sure felt like an Indy film as much then as it does now. Not everyone hates it nor ranks it at the bottom of the original 3.

Maybe a thread should be started called, "Why does everyone love The Last Crusade"?:p

Well Stoo im about to make four cents...

I quoted you because I was scrolling down the first page and saw you first.
Temple of Doom was too dark... Too crazy.
And I wouldn't think much of a "Last Crusade" thread cause I don't like it as much as I like Raiders. Why don't you make one. :p

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:
Well Stoo im about to make four cents...

I quoted you because I was scrolling down the first page and saw you first.
Temple of Doom was too dark... Too crazy.
And I wouldn't think much of a "Last Crusade" thread cause I don't like it as much as I like Raiders. Why don't you make one. :p

Care to explain how ToD was too crazy for you? I'm interested in your take on the movie.

DiscoLad

Glad you asked, Drifter.
Well I say "crazy" as in out there (With the whole heart burning, ritual thing).
It just wasn't good ... I can't find the words...
I havn't argued about this in a while...
When you picture Indiana Jones, you picture, alot of places + artifact + kicking Nazi ass + Globe trotting = Indiana Jones.

Temple of Doom lacked that. Therefore it didn't make it for me. No?:)

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:
Glad you asked, Drifter.
Well I say "crazy" as in out there (With the whole heart burning, ritual thing).
When you picture Indiana Jones, you picture, alot of places + artifact + kicking Nazi ass + Globe trotting = Indiana Jones.

One could say that the Ark melting Toht's face and exploding Belloq's head could be "crazy" and "out there" as well.
I don't see how Mola Ram extracting one's heart and having it burst into flames is any different.
Just like how some think it was the power of God that gave the Ark it's power at the end, maybe Kali gave her acolyte the power to extract those hearts?

Also, when I think of Indiana Jones, I think of high adventure. And, to me; Temple of Doom delivered high adventure.
If adventure has a name, it must be...Indiana Jones!

DiscoLad

To Drifter.

*Turns, looks at ToD poster on wall.*
It does have a good film poster.

But I don't know, It just didn't have it for me. Nazis man, gotta have the nazis.

Montana Smith

DiscoLad said:

For me, I enjoy the variety. (Hey, TOD even began with a variety act in the Obi-Wan!)

TOD broke the mould before Indy could be moulded/stereotyped. I would have hated it if Indy was always following exactly the same formula, and I don't think he would have enjoyed the same longevity if he had.

DiscoLad

Montana Smith said:
For me, I enjoy the variety. (Hey, TOD even began with a variety act in the Obi-Wan!)

TOD broke the mould before Indy could be moulded/stereotyped. I would have hated it if Indy was always following exactly the same formula, and I don't think he would have enjoyed the same longevity if he had.

'Spose you're right... Thanks Smith.
More words of wisdom, lol. :hat:

DiscoLad

Lonsome_Drifter said:
No, not really. :rolleyes:

...Did you... Did you just roll your eyes??
You need Nazis man. It is what makes Indiana Jones just that.
Want to know why KotCS sucked. Indiana Jones + Russians = FAIL.

That and...the aliens... :p

The Drifter

DiscoLad said:
...Did you... Did you just roll your eyes??
You need Nazis man. It is what makes Indiana Jones just that.
Want to know why KotCS sucked. Indiana Jones + Russians = FAIL.

That and...the aliens... :p

Meh, to each his own.
I just don't understand why some people want the films to be pigeonholed. Do you enjoy Indiana Jones just because he fights Nazis?
And, for the record I enjoyed KotCS. *GASP!*

DiscoLad

Lonsome_Drifter said:
Meh, to each his own.
I just don't understand why some people want the films to be pigeonholed. Do you enjoy Indiana Jones just because he fights Nazis?
And, for the record I enjoyed KotCS. *GASP!*

No it is just a big part of the movies.

And no... it sucked. :)

It was fine to see Indy in a different adventure.

So many other choices, the virtue of being different does NOT make it better...only different.

The tone was the difference...the tone.

They're all fine films in their own right. But if you want to know WHY everyone hates Temple Of Doom?

It's because it didn't maintain Raider's tone.

THAT'S WHY.

Now **** off.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
It was fine to see Indy in a different adventure.

So many other choices, the virtue of being different does NOT make it better...only different.

The tone was the difference...the tone.

They're all fine films in their own right. But if you want to know WHY everyone hates Temple Of Doom?

It's because it didn't maintain Raider's tone.

THAT'S WHY.

Now **** off.

368.jpg

Mola Ram approves of Bad Rocket.