General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Darth Vile

Indy V will be made at some point I'm sure. What I think is more debatable is wether it will feature Harrison Ford. Many thougt that James Bond wouldn't survive without Connery, and even though Connery may have been the best Bond, there have certianly been some decent Bond movie over the years. I'd like there to be another Ford Indy one (just for old times), but to be honest I think I'd sooner see a re-boot in a few years...

P.S. Godfather III is a quality movie. Not as substantial or significant as parts I and II, but a worthy addition nonetheless (IMHO). The last reel, which obviously emulates Opera itself, is really sublime... and in a way it turns the entire Godfather saga into a Shakesperian tradgedy - which again I think is a great artistic choice.

Last edited:
Darth Vile said:
Indy V will be made at some point I'm sure. What I think is more debatable is wether it will feature Harrison Ford. Many thougt that James Bond wouldn't survive without Connery, and even though Connery may have been the best Bond, there have certianly been some decent Bond movie over the years. I'd like there to be another Ford Indy one (just for old times), but to be honest I think I'd sooner see a re-boot in a few years...

Hmm... don't know, pal. Lucas himself had expressed many times that to him "Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones". Seems that he actually thinks the same as many of us, at least...

Rivers

Hers's what is bugging me... quite a while ago Harrison says they have a nub of an idea for Indy 5.... now he says he has no idea what it would be about!!!

SO WHAT THE HELL IS THE TRUTH?? DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA OR NOT?? Whats with all the misinformation???

Darth Vile

The Stranger said:
Hmm... don't know, pal. Lucas himself had expressed many times that to him "Harrison Ford IS Indiana Jones". Seems that he actually thinks the same as many of us, at least...

That may be the case for now... but it seems to me that Lucas probably has the propensity to be coming up with good ideas for many years to come. I'd say that Lucas' potential for coming up with another story probably has a longer shelf life than Ford's physical ability to play the role... So it's just a question of if Lucas comes up with a killer story/premise for another Indy movie (in 5 years time let's say), what does he do with that idea knowing Ford is too old to play the part? Forever consign the charcter of Indiana Jones to the trash/bin or doing something new with it?

Most of you are too near the trees to see the wood.

If someone came up to you and suggested making yet another movie in an action franchise that was 30 years old, where the lead actor would be 70, you'd laugh so hard some wee would come out.

Imagine Bruce Willis doing a Die Hard at Harrisom's age, or Daniel Craig coming back as Bond in 2038.

Ridiculous. Let this thing die with dignity. The last one was bad enough.

Montana Smith

replican't said:
Most of you are too near the trees to see the wood.

If someone came up to you and suggested making yet another movie in an action franchise that was 30 years old, where the lead actor would be 70, you'd laugh so hard some wee would come out.

Imagine Bruce Willis doing a Die Hard at Harrisom's age, or Daniel Craig coming back as Bond in 2038.

Ridiculous. Let this thing die with dignity. The last one was bad enough.

I agree that Indy shouldn't be forced on us at whatever age Harrison happens to be, at least not if Lucas and Spielberg still want to give us spectacular action sequences.

There is definitely the opportunity for another movie, but only if the creators have the courage to present it in a different style. That courage would have to be taken at the risk of alienating younger viewers.

It's a Catch-22 situation.

The point has been reached (and some would say it was reached in 2008), where the creators can't win. Whichever way they jump they will either be chastised for being ridiculous, or admonished for producing a film with too little 'hero' action.

Sylvester Stallone is four years younger than Harrison, and he's already pushing the boundaries. The 60 year-old Rocky Balboa stretched credibility, though Stallone is still a very fit individual.

At 61 his Rambo still had the physique, but the face was showing the signs of age. I liked the tone of the movie, but it was sad to see Rambo looking that age.

He was 63 in The Expendables, and he'll be at least 65 in Expendables 2. There comes a time when we can't reasonably expect an actor to be doing the same things they were accomplishing in their younger days.

Unless Harrison is to be upstaged in #5, his role needs to be in a carefully crafted story that will permit an older character to dominate. He will be relying on the experience of age, and the range provided by a firearm. If #5 continues on in the same manner as KOTCS, then Indy will truly be entrenched in self-parody.

Darth Vile

Montana Smith said:
I agree that Indy shouldn't be forced on us at whatever age Harrison happens to be, at least not if Lucas and Spielberg still want to give us spectacular action sequences.

There is definitely the opportunity for another movie, but only if the creators have the courage to present it in a different style. That courage would have to be taken at the risk of alienating younger viewers.

Unless Harrison is to be upstaged in #5, his role needs to be in a carefully crafted story that will permit an older character to dominate. He will be relying on the experience of age, and the range provided by a firearm. If #5 continues on in the same manner as KOTCS, then Indy will truly be entrenched in self-parody.

I agree with you? although paradoxically I think it?s the older more expectant audiences who are more likely to be alienated by a different tone of Indy movie; rather than the younger audience (who probably wouldn?t bring all the nostalgic baggage).

The mistake in these type of scenarios (when we have established actors in established roles), is when writers start writing for the actor as opposed to the character/story? Sure - if a great story set in the 1950?s, with a largely passive Indy in more mentoring role, can be made then I?m up for that? bring back Ford and we?ll get to see another old school Indy movie (but expect no shift in tone). But conversely, if there is a better story out there for a 1920?s set story with a swashbuckling/romantic lead - make that one instead and count me in? :)

In the cultural consciousness, Indiana Jones is the guy from Raiders, Temple of Doom and Crusade. The old bloke who came back 20 years later for Crystal Skull is just Harrison Ford pretending to be Indy. The illusion was soured and destroyed by then, and there's no reason to believe it wouldn't be soiled further if another one got made.

The join between the actor and the character was seamless in those first 3. Thats why they are so cherished.

replican't said:
The join between the actor and the character was seamless in those first 3. Thats why they are so cherished.
I'll take this further and say its all because of Raiders, that without it there would be NO Club Obi Wan forums, (instead of The Raven) and no Crusade or Skull.

Raiders is why, in your words, they are "cherished."

Raiders90

Darth Vile said:
I agree with you? although paradoxically I think it?s the older more expectant audiences who are more likely to be alienated by a different tone of Indy movie; rather than the younger audience (who probably wouldn?t bring all the nostalgic baggage).

The mistake in these type of scenarios (when we have established actors in established roles), is when writers start writing for the actor as opposed to the character/story? Sure - if a great story set in the 1950?s, with a largely passive Indy in more mentoring role, can be made then I?m up for that? bring back Ford and we?ll get to see another old school Indy movie (but expect no shift in tone). But conversely, if there is a better story out there for a 1920?s set story with a swashbuckling/romantic lead - make that one instead and count me in? :)

The ideal Indy 5 should take some risks, have Shia return but abandon the Greaser thing. Go for a darker storyline ala Raiders, creepy sort of MaGuffin like HP Lovecraft esque...And have Harrison's role as Indy be like Anthony Hopkins' Zorro in the Mask of Zorro--A stout, but OLDER man. A supporting character whose character arc and presence dominates the film nonetheless, culminating in a true passage or hanging up of the hat.

An Indy 5 should really take some cues from Mask of Zorro on how to send off a beloved screen icon.

Darth Vile

Rocket Surgeon said:
I'll take this further and say its all because of Raiders, that without it there would be NO Club Obi Wan forums, (instead of The Raven) and no Crusade or Skull.

Raiders is why, in your words, they are "cherished."

I agree... and I'd say it's the same with Star Wars and any good/crowd pleasing movie that results in a sequel/prequel etc. I'm very much of the opinion that sequels don't necessarily have to be 'better' or as good as the great movies that preceded them... as long as there is some modicum of justification (other than the financial) for their existence e.g. expanding the universe the characters exist in, exploring new themes with the same characters etc. etc.

Raiders112390 said:
The ideal Indy 5 should take some risks, have Shia return but abandon the Greaser thing. Go for a darker storyline ala Raiders, creepy sort of MaGuffin like HP Lovecraft esque...And have Harrison's role as Indy be like Anthony Hopkins' Zorro in the Mask of Zorro--A stout, but OLDER man. A supporting character whose character arc and presence dominates the film nonetheless, culminating in a true passage or hanging up of the hat.

An Indy 5 should really take some cues from Mask of Zorro on how to send off a beloved screen icon.

I'm not sure they should use Mast of Zorro as the template... whilst I'd obviously agree with exploring a darker storyline (although I'm not sure Raiders was dark), I personally thought KOTCS was much better than the Zorro movies anyway. Again, I'm not sure how many people would be happy seeing Ford as a slightly overweight middle aged guy handing the reigns to someone else (although I agree that there is a good movie somewhere with an old Indy as a mentor as opposed to action hero).

Last edited:

bergstrom

Only for this thread, I wouldn't be coming here just to check in. Keep it open and let's just be optimistic that Indy 5 does happen, WITH Harrison and WITHOUT Shia.

Berg

Indy's brother

replican't said:
In the cultural consciousness, Indiana Jones is the guy from Raiders, Temple of Doom and Crusade. The old bloke who came back 20 years later for Crystal Skull is just Harrison Ford pretending to be Indy. The illusion was soured and destroyed by then, and there's no reason to believe it wouldn't be soiled further if another one got made.

That's why Indy 5 has to happen from this fan's standpoint. KOTCS on it's own is a nostalgic oddity. With another flick there can be a separation between the old and the new that makes more sense. It would be hard to believe that the dynamic trio of GL, SS, & HF haven't learned a lesson or two after taking their licks on #4 online and in the press. I'm possibly more optimistic than I should be that a 5th would be better than the last for it, but all the same, even if another was in the same vein, it would be easier to take knowing what to expect. There is room for an older Indy,and I relish the thought of another. Ford's age was reasonably dealt with in KOTCS, and I love to see him in the hat. Do another and let his character's wit and experience drive the action. While my belief that this is ever going to happen may be fading, my belief that it could be done right is still going strong.

On a personal note, I'm journeying out in my trade again, and while plying my trade as an ironworker I see old men in action that can handle themselves well, and aren't even in the great shape that Ford is in. Perhaps seeing a few older guys put themselves where the rubber meets the road every day colors my opinion more than the average person. But still, I have to say that seeing guys in their 50's and early 60's that are very agile, strong, and will tangle with you at the drop of a hat convinces me that Indy 5 can be made in a way that is believable and fun for us.

What can I say, I'm and idealist.

Indy's brother

Indy's brother said:

Maybe "Die Hard" would have been a better choice of words.

Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5 Indy 5

Dr. Gonzo

Indy's brother said:
But still, I have to say that seeing guys in their 50's and early 60's that are very agile, strong, and will tangle with you at the drop of a hat convinces me that Indy 5 can be made in a way that is believable and fun for us.

I wish I had as much hope as you... makes me feel like I have fallen from the purer faith. It's just that Harrison is 69/70 years old now. Unless it happens like now... I don't know.

But we are not so much different as you would like to think Indy's Brother. I am but a shadowy reflection of you.

Forbidden Eye

replican't said:

Oh I don't know, many people have commented Indy is a different character in all three films, and in reality, he is.

He's a much darker and grittier character in Doom than he was in Raiders(some have said he more resembles Han Solo in Doom) while in Last Crusade, he is a clear good guy who moralizes his actions(i.e. "It belongs in the museum!") He even starts to become more superhero like in LC(complete with a backstory). It's a little hard to believe the lead in either Raiders or Temple would go on an adventure to see his Dad.

I'd like to think if there was one thing everyone could agree with in regards to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, it was Harrison Ford's strong performance. The #1 concern many people had before Kingdom was released was Harrison's age. He got a lot of flak for it, but he pulled it off. He was every bit as good as he was in the original three. Despite being 65 when he made it, he looked 55 if not younger. The scene where Indy is in Peru in particular, he could honestly pass off as being his 40s. Ford did many of his stunts(and did them well) and had far more enthusiasm for this role than any of his other roles in a while.

I also liked that we saw an older Indy as it brought a great fish-out-of-water theme to the story, and there were some fun jabs/subtle story moments addressing his age but didn't address his age into the plot full-on like say in Rocky Balboa. To say it was just "Harrison Ford pretending to be Indy" and that in the original trilogy he "was Indiana Jones" I think is being unfair(with nostalgia influencing that opinion).

Though having seen Cowboys and Aliens, I do agree that in the 3 years since Kingdom has been released, Ford looks noticeably older. And considering a script still hasn't been written(or even an idea that's been finalized), there's no escaping that his age will be more of an issue in Indy 5 than it was in 4. But, if done right, it can still work well or at least be fun. I don't believe his aging has destroyed all/any potential in this film.

Last edited:

The_Raiders

bergstrom said:
Only for this thread, I wouldn't be coming here just to check in. Keep it open and let's just be optimistic that Indy 5 does happen, WITH Harrison and WITHOUT Shia.

Berg

I have to disagree. I think, if they do it right, Shia can have his place in the film, so long as they don't bring him back as the monkey king. If they have Harrisons role, more independent than he was in KOTCS I think it would be good. Maybe have a portion of the movie where he has to be on his own for a little bit. And the movie would probably be in the 60's so the world would be in a state of turmoil, and strange changes in culture, which if used correctly, could play as a danger factor in Indy 5. :cool: