George Lucas tweaks Star Wars yet again

Goonie

This is being added to Return of the Jedi in next year's Blu-Ray release:

Some more info about it here:
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4996

Milk that cow George!

I guess with each new release of Star Wars we'll get a new scene added, to the point George will recognize the Holiday Special as being canon and call it Episode 1.5.:whip: :hat:

Montana Smith

Goonie said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc&feature=player_embedded

Milk that cow George!

I guess with each new release of Star Wars we'll get a new scene added, to the point George will recognize the Holiday Special as being canon and call it Episode 1.5.:whip: :hat:

Is it being edited into the movie, or just presented as an extra scene on the disc? The latter sounds the most likely, but either way at least it doesn't change the story or the motives, as with the issue of Han shooting second.

Lance Quazar

It's going to be an extra feature, not edited into the film.

The scene was very wisely cut out the first time, it really wouldn't fit well with the structure of the movie. Luke's delayed appearance is quite effective. The movie starts with the droids on their own, we have no idea what is going on or what the plan is. Those mysterious elements work much better than this pointless scene.

Goonie

Lance Quazar said:

The scene was very wisely cut out the first time, it really wouldn't fit well with the structure of the movie. Luke's delayed appearance is quite effective. The movie starts with the droids on their own, we have no idea what is going on or what the plan is. Those mysterious elements work much better than this pointless scene.

Ah, so basically it was cut for the same reason the Luke and Biggs on Tatooine scenes from A New Hope were cut. You know, with the movies being out for so long now and the prequels, they might as well just put it back in.

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:

Yeah, I saw ROTJ in the cinema, and loved the mystery of what R2 and C-3 were up to, and that Luke was then giving them as gifts to Jabba. Even C-3 was surprised, as they couldn't trust him with the truth!

I've no problem with seeing deleted scenes in isolation, just as long as George doesn't start tinkering with the story again.

Goonie said:
Ah, so basically it was cut for the same reason the Luke and Biggs on Tatooine scenes from A New Hope were cut. You know, with the movies being out for so long now and the prequels, they might as well just put it back in.

I always felt that the Luke/Biggs scene, and Camy, should have been in. They were in the original comic adptation, along with Han meeting Jabba (who looked a bit like Ponda Baba), so they always felt like they were missing.

Lance Quazar

Goonie said:

I wouldn't say it was cut for the "same reason." I think the Biggs material was cut for length. The Luke in cave, however, really does seem pointless and actually kind of ruins the anticipation and reveal of Luke's entrance later, including the surprise appearance of his new lightsaber just in the nick of time.

I think it's much more interesting to not see Luke right away, to wonder what the plan is, when he's going to show up, etc. etc. The main characters in ROTJ are introduced slowly and in order of ascending appearance - the droids, Chewie, a glimpse of Lando, Leia & Han and finally Luke.

Sure, even though we are all familiar with the movies now, I think the "best" versions of the movie need to be preserved for future generations. After all, there are always going to be people discovering these for the first time.

Lance Quazar

Montana Smith said:
I've no problem with seeing deleted scenes in isolation, just as long as George doesn't start tinkering with the story again.

Agreed. I felt the same way about the Jabba scene. I'm glad I got a chance to see it, but I don't think it has a place in the completed film.

I always felt that the Luke/Biggs scene, and Camy, should have been in. They were in the original comic adptation, along with Han meeting Jabba (who looked a bit like Ponda Baba), so they always felt like they were missing.

I would have no problem if the Biggs/Anchorhead material was put back into the film, as it does give us a little bit more character development about Luke and a smidgen more backstory about the SW universe at large, specifically about the Empire Vs. Rebellion.

And getting to know Biggs as a real character instead of just Pilot #7 definitely adds a nice dimension to the final battle.

However, when I first saw the Jabba scene, I was disappointed at how useless it was and very glad it was not originally included.

There is absolutely no new information in that scene at all and, in fact, much of the dialogue sounds almost verbatim from the Greedo scene. It's just useless and repetitive and adds nothing to the story.

It also ruins the reveal of the Millenium Falcon, which, in the original cut is first show in a lovely longshot from Luke's POV as he rounds the corner and sees the whole ship in all its glory for the first time.

Those of us who have seen the movies dozens of times growing up probably never consider what it is like to have seen them for the first time. But, again, I think it's important to consider those who have never seen the movie and maintain the secrets and surprises as they were originally intended.

Goonie

Any word on the sandstorm scene in ROTJ making its way onto the Blu-Ray?

As for the Luke/Biggs at Anchorhead scene - I've wanted this scene put back in since the Special Editions got the brief scene of Luke and Biggs in the hangar put back in. With the Hangar scene it makes you wonder more just who Biggs is. And they still do have that Anchorhead footage - if I recall reading about it online, they showed it at one of the cons a few years back.

Any extra scenes out there for Empire? Lando drinkin' Colt 45?

Montana Smith

Lance Quazar said:
However, when I first saw the Jabba scene, I was disappointed at how useless it was and very glad it was not originally included.

There is absolutely no new information in that scene at all and, in fact, much of the dialogue sounds almost verbatim from the Greedo scene. It's just useless and repetitive and adds nothing to the story.

It also ruins the reveal of the Millenium Falcon, which, in the original cut is first show in a lovely longshot from Luke's POV as he rounds the corner and sees the whole ship in all its glory for the first time.

CG Jabba looked pretty lame, which didn't help that scene. And that silly thing of having Han step on his tail, because he originally walked around the actor playing Jabba, before they decided Jabba was going to be slug-like.

Lance Quazar said:
Those of us who have seen the movies dozens of times growing up probably never consider what it is like to have seen them for the first time. But, again, I think it's important to consider those who have never seen the movie and maintain the secrets and surprises as they were originally intended.

Like the awful thought of kids growing up with The Phantom Menace, without realizing that there were three prior movies which were much better!

indyclone25

well i for one hope that there is a lot more deleted scnes thrown in for each movie like the sandstorm scene and the luke scene and whatever else they have for jedi, and for a new hope the luke and biggs scene and luke with the treadwell droid . because in the prequel trilogy he has deleted scenes available on those disc.

Paden

I'm always interested in the deleted scenes of any film I enjoyed, Star Wars included, but I do hope that they are primarily included as "extras" as opposed to being edited into the extant film. Frankly, I think the original films, as released in theaters, work just fine. They don't need repairs. Still, it's nice for fans to have access to the unused footage as it can provide a more in-depth understanding of the plot and/or characters.

Even so, it's hard not be amused by Lucas releasing another edition of Star Wars. I think this one should be called the "Raising the Profit Margin Edition".

JP Jones

Montana Smith said:
Like the awful thought of kids growing up with The Phantom Menace, without realizing that there were three prior movies which were much better!
This is going to be off topic, but too many people short change the intellegence of kids. My cousin is 5 and when I was there last, he wanted to watch a Star Wars movie and I asked him which one. Keep in mind he has 2 copies of phantom menace, but he said his favorite was "the one in the snow." Yes, Empire Strikes Back.

You think because the prequels are fresher for kids they have to grow up with them. You're wrong.

Anyway, I love that deleted scene.

Montana Smith

JP Jones said:
This is going to be off topic, but too many people short change the intellegence of kids. My cousin is 5 and when I was there last, he wanted to watch a Star Wars movie and I asked him which one. Keep in mind he has 2 copies of phantom menace, but he said his favorite was "the one in the snow." Yes, Empire Strikes Back.

You think because the prequels are fresher for kids they have to grow up with them. You're wrong.

Anyway, I love that deleted scene.

I'm glad to hear it! (y)

I, too, like "the in the snow." Dark, moody, and the one that brought us the bountry hunters, including Bullock's Boba Fett.

Someone should rap George over the knuckles every time he looks like he's going to fiddle with a Star Wars movie again! (And tell him he ought to be spending more time on Indy instead).

AndyLGR

The SW geek in me loves that clip. I would like to see them inlcude this in with movie. I'm a big fan of seeing the original vision that they had when they intended to include these scenes that were ultimately deleted.

Of course at the same time I'd like to see the the original theatrical versions of the movies included on bluray too.

kongisking

Goonie said:

Milk that cow George!

So, you're saying you DON'T want the saga released on the most advanced and highest-quality home theater experience of the time? You're okay with sticking to crappy VHS and scratch-able DVD's? How fair is that to everyone that wants to see SW in the highest possible image quality, AND with tons of never-before-seen footage?

Goonie

kongisking said:
So, you're saying you DON'T want the saga released on the most advanced and highest-quality home theater experience of the time? You're okay with sticking to crappy VHS and scratch-able DVD's? How fair is that to everyone that wants to see SW in the highest possible image quality, AND with tons of never-before-seen footage?

Well it's simple...
Sure I'd love to see it in high def. But, because of the economic situation that is still going on, I haven't been able to buy any blu ray equipment yet, thanks to unemployment.

Forbidden Eye

I can't believe I live in a world where I'm not looking forward to seeing the original Star Wars trilogy on the next home-video format but here we are.

Lucas complains he wouldn't be able to restore the originals because "that'd be so time-consuming and take so much money".

Well...DUH! That's what restoration TAKES! And THAT'S what the fans want to see.

After seeing the poor quality of the originals on DVD, I don't have much any desire to have it on Blu-Ray. I'm content with my DVDs.

Goonie

Forbidden Eye said:
After seeing the poor quality of the originals on DVD, I don't have much any desire to have it on Blu-Ray. I'm content with my DVDs.

I've got the first DVD release - the 4-disc box set. A New Hope could use some sound tinkering. The sound slightly cuts out in various scenes.

I wonder if the Ewok movies will hit Blu-Ray. I was able to get the DVD which is OOP now.

Montana Smith

Goonie said:
I've got the first DVD release - the 4-disc box set. A New Hope could use some sound tinkering. The sound slightly cuts out in various scenes.

I wonder if the Ewok movies will hit Blu-Ray. I was able to get the DVD which is OOP now.

I have the six-disc limited edition tin from 2006, that includes both the special editions and the original cinema versions of the original trilogy. I can't say that I noticed any issues.

As for the Ewoks movies, it would be doubtful.

kongisking

Goonie said:

Personally, I hope Luke's green lightsaber in ANH is fixed and made blue again. That annoyed the **** out of me!