Lucas Animation - Indy 5 and Beyond ?

Gobi-1

If they were to do a series they should make it exactly like the old serials from the 1930s. Have one storyline told over 12 to 15 episodes. With all the episodes save for the last ending with a cliffhanger. The individual episodes could be around ten minutes so you could get two episodes per half hour show. Or they could pull a Clone Wars and just show one ten minute episode over 12 to 15 nights.

RONDC20

I am here to rerive this thread simply because I feel like it. I just really want an Indiana Jones Animated series to happen.

BTW no one gave opinions on my title ideas for the series

Here they are again.

"Indiana Jones Adventures"

"The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones"

"The Adventures of Indiana Jones"

"Indiana Jones: The Animated Series"

What do you guys think? Do you have any suggestions?

Still no word on Indiana Jones Adventures Vol 2?

emtiem

Gobi-1 said:
If they were to do a series they should make it exactly like the old serials from the 1930s. Have one storyline told over 12 to 15 episodes. With all the episodes save for the last ending with a cliffhanger. The individual episodes could be around ten minutes so you could get two episodes per half hour show. Or they could pull a Clone Wars and just show one ten minute episode over 12 to 15 nights.

That's a great idea, Gobi.

Timmythekid

SNIP SNIPITY SNIP
inky_skin said:
Given that Uncle George is currently enthusiastically promoting the Clone Wars animated outing at the movies, could Lucas Animation play a viable part in the future of Indy ?

- The fact that, although Indy IV was divisive amongst fans and critics, it made a decent box office return - so the franchise is still (relatively) healthy and therefore viable for further entries
- Indy V, on film, with the major principal leads returning, is - despite fansite clamour - unlikely. Animation would get around this, with actors providing voiceovers only - or substituted with voice artistsQUOTE]

1)Just a point of clarification; I think $700million+ qualifies as a little better than 'decent' box office. Despite what some very vocal fans said, the majority of the audience liked the film.

2)I take it you missed Ford this week. Lucas is in story mode for #5, HF is interested in returning, and Speilberg is thinking about it. Ford has also said he's not interested in taking the character to the animated medium as it would diminish the work that they'd done to this point.

Personally, I'm hoping the "other projects" over at LFA include the back-burner Frankenstein feature ILM has been toying with for a decade now.

Dewy9

If there can be Indy comics, novels, and video games, how would an animated TV series cheapen him?

DIrishB

Dewy9 said:
If there can be Indy comics, novels, and video games, how would an animated TV series cheapen him?

Agreed. I don't understand the naysayers.

How do side projects affect the quality of the original in any way? If an Indy animated show is no good, its no good, but it doesn't detract from the quality of Raiders, or Last Crusade, etc. And if it sucks, it won't last. But then again, it could be surprisingly excellent. Why not at least look forward to the opportunity of a new Indy story which could actually be good, instead of bashing on something thats only rumor anyway? Its not like footage, or news pertaining to plot or the approach they'd take has even been released yet. Hell, the existance of such a show has only been rumored!

How can any of you make up your mind already, knowing nothing about this theoretical show? Merely because it would be animated in some way instead of live action? Seriously? I wouldn't call that fair or logical decision making.

Fate of Atlantis wasn't a live-action movie...it was a pixelated video game. And so was Infernal Machine, etc. Both of those were great games, and both featured great, Indy-like stories. Why the same can't be applied to a 2D animated show (my preferred approach) or even 3D/CGI (not my preferred approach, but I could live with it) in some people's mind is beyond me. The new Indy comic releases by Dark Horse, Tomb of the Gods and Adventures, Vol 1 were both excellent Indy stories, each with their own style of art. The more simplistic art style from Adventures would probaby be the more likely choice for an animated show, but it worked in the comic and I'm positive it could work in animated form. The scripts for each are even perfect for such a project...violence is toned down without toning down the suspense or adventure.

The whole "I won't watch this" complaining makes no sense to me.

RONDC20

DIrishB said:
Agreed. I don't understand the naysayers.

How do side projects affect the quality of the original in any way? If an Indy animated show is no good, its no good, but it doesn't detract from the quality of Raiders, or Last Crusade, etc. And if it sucks, it won't last. But then again, it could be surprisingly excellent. Why not at least look forward to the opportunity of a new Indy story which could actually be good, instead of bashing on something thats only rumor anyway? Its not like footage, or news pertaining to plot or the approach they'd take has even been released yet. Hell, the existance of such a show has only been rumored!

How can any of you make up your mind already, knowing nothing about this theoretical show? Merely because it would be animated in some way instead of live action? Seriously? I wouldn't call that fair or logical decision making.

Fate of Atlantis wasn't a live-action movie...it was a pixelated video game. And so was Infernal Machine, etc. Both of those were great games, and both featured great, Indy-like stories. Why the same can't be applied to a 2D animated show (my preferred approach) or even 3D/CGI (not my preferred approach, but I could live with it) in some people's mind is beyond me. The new Indy comic releases by Dark Horse, Tomb of the Gods and Adventures, Vol 1 were both excellent Indy stories, each with their own style of art. The more simplistic art style from Adventures would probaby be the more likely choice for an animated show, but it worked in the comic and I'm positive it could work in animated form. The scripts for each are even perfect for such a project...violence is toned down without toning down the suspense or adventure.

The whole "I won't watch this" complaining makes no sense to me.

I'm right there with you. I just cant understand people's close mindedness about animation in general. How simply because it's animated that it must be for kids. I hate how people quickly write off animation.

This is a HUGE!!! Pet Peve of mine. This ignorance about animation as a medium. It's way better than it used to be, but we have a long way before we get to the point that the japanese are.

Animated Indiana Jones works. It works great.

BTW I'm still not hearing your opinions on thoes titles.

DIrishB

RONDC20 said:
I'm right there with you. I just cant understand people's close mindedness about animation in general. How simply because it's animated that it must be for kids. I hate how people quickly write off animation.

This is a HUGE!!! Pet Peve of mine. This ignorance about animation as a medium. It's way better than it used to be, but we have a long way before we get to the point that the japanese are.

I'd go with The Adventures of Indiana Jones.

RONDC20

DIrishB said:
I'd go with The Adventures of Indiana Jones.

Cool. You I think if this show ever gets made that it has a good chance of getting a TVPG rating. Clone Wars is TVPG as are several other shows on CN.

Do you think the show could work as a full 1 hour show? God!! I would love to see the first 1 hour format animated TV show. They sort of tried it with the first 2 seasons of Justice League. When these episodes first aired they were shown in their original 1 hour formats. Later they were all split into 2 parters.

Deckard

RONDC20 said:

Ya, well I can totally understand how Harrison can say that tho.

I mean let's just say for arguement sake you sell insurance better then anyone for 30 years. And then your boss comes in and tells you he isn't going to need your services anymore because he can animate you for cheaper and have some other guy that sounds similar do your voice for cheaper.

Nurhachi1991

I would love to see an Indy TV series on adult swim or something no kiddy bs but a raw gritty series

it could take place in the 40s so the Nazis would still be in it there would be gore some language ect.

Deckard

Nurhachi1991 said:
I would love to see an Indy TV series on adult swim or something no kiddy bs but a raw gritty series

it could take place in the 40s so the Nazis would still be in it there would be gore some language ect.

Indy would have to be voiced by Ford, and for me to really get excited, it would have to be on HBO or something that wouldn't hold back.

I agree it'd have to also go back to 30s-40s so you can have Shorty, Marcus, Henry Sr., Nazis etc.

Also, maybe you could have differant animators all working on the show, bringing differant styles for differant episodes and locations, like the Gotham Knight DVD for Batman. But unlike Gotham Knight, keep the same writers for all the episodes, or at least the season.

Dr.Sartorius

I'd settle for Doug Lee voicing Indy in an animated series. If he can't do it than the only other person should be Harrison.

RONDC20

You know I don't think that Adult Swim or HBO are really appropriate for an Indiana Jones Animated series. I mean the violence and action in Indiana Jones has never been as gritty to warrant it having to be on Adult Swim or HBO.

Indiana Jones has always maintained a PG-13 style in it's action. I think HBO or Adult Swim is too drastic. You guys are sounding like you want this animated series to be rated R or TVMA. That would just not be in the spirit of Indiana Jones.

Indiana Jones is meant to maintain an air of lighthearted adventure. Things can get dark and gritty, but never too much so. I think that the show could still be on Cartoon Network with a TVPG or even a TV14 rating. TVPG is equal to PG and TV14 is equal to PG13.

Cartoon Network has been pretty risky in a lot of the things they have been showing lately. Clone Wars is TVPG. They have been showing lots of animated movies uncut that are PG and PG-13. They aired Naruto movies that had plenty of blood and violence. They aired Gotham Knight full and uncut.

I think it could work on Cartoon Network without it having to be on Adult Swim.

As far as the animation goes, I would want to keep it in one style and consistent through the series.

The series can still be raw and gritty, but it should never loose the spirit of Adventure. It just would not be Indiana Jones.

Deckard

RONDC20 said:
Things can get dark and gritty, but never too much so.

Die Hard's violence is all cut up anytime its aired on cable, ok.

What in Die Hard is more violent then the stuff in Raiders? You gotta cut the boobies poster on the wall in the elevator shaft and all the Mother F'rs. But they cut away when people are shot.

Now I love when people say Indy isn't violent, bcuz Raiders is my fav and I can go through the list which when you hear it, may seem more violent then thought. I'll stick to the stand outs.

Forrestal is impaled and rotting, Satipo is freshly impaled and bloody through most notably, his neck. Raven Bar, men are shot, lit on fire, a man is burning and shot in the face, gushing blood from his wound and mouth. Guys are stabbed, shot some more in Cairo, they deal with pretty much slavery, also again in ToD with the kids, the German Mechanic is chopped apart by rotor blades, his blood splatters a Swastika. How do you think Cartoon Network feels about the Swastika? Men go over the cliff, Indy is shot in the arm, our heroe's blood splatters onto the camera and all over the cab, then a guy gets ran over, Toht's skin melts, then his muscles etc, all dripping down onto his suit, Deitrech's head implodes inward on itself, Belloq is cooked and his head explodes. Men are set ablaze and tossed like ragdolls skyward before being crushed and forced into the ark, a space smaller then theyre own bodies, all after they are shot through by burning laser light, which fry their internal organs or eyes. I could move onto ToD but I think you get it.

Also Indy likes to use that occassional "...Oh Sh!t..."

RONDC20

Deckard said:
Die Hard's violence is all cut up anytime its aired on cable, ok.

What in Die Hard is more violent then the stuff in Raiders? You gotta cut the boobies poster on the wall in the elevator shaft and all the Mother F'rs. But they cut away when people are shot.

Now I love when people say Indy isn't violent, bcuz Raiders is my fav and I can go through the list which when you hear it, may seem more violent then thought. I'll stick to the stand outs.

Forrestal is impaled and rotting, Satipo is freshly impaled and bloody through most notably, his neck. Raven Bar, men are shot, lit on fire, a man is burning and shot in the face, gushing blood from his wound and mouth. Guys are stabbed, shot some more in Cairo, they deal with pretty much slavery, also again in ToD with the kids, the German Mechanic is chopped apart by rotor blades, his blood splatters a Swastika. How do you think Cartoon Network feels about the Swastika? Men go over the cliff, Indy is shot in the arm, our heroe's blood splatters onto the camera and all over the cab, then a guy gets ran over, Toht's skin melts, then his muscles etc, all dripping down onto his suit, Deitrech's head implodes inward on itself, Belloq is cooked and his head explodes. Men are set ablaze and tossed like ragdolls skyward before being crushed and forced into the ark, a space smaller then theyre own bodies, all after they are shot through by burning laser light, which fry their internal organs or eyes. I could move onto ToD but I think you get it.

Also Indy likes to use that occassional "...Oh Sh!t..."

Ok ok So you make some good points. I understand what you are trying to say. Back when Raiders came out it was rated PG, But if it was released today I still say it would get a PG-13.

For some strange reason all of what you just mentioned never really seemed all that R rated to me.I cant really explain it. I guess it was the tone of the movie. Despite all of that it still managed to maintain that sense of adventure. It was still rousing and epic. Even TOD,Yea that got really dark, but then when Short Round burned Indy it became fun again.

I don't know how to explain this, but have you not always felt that you could let your kids watch an Indiana Jones movie despite all it's violence? I mean think about it. I think this is in large part due to the spirit of the movies. That essence of adventure.

Am I making any sense here? I just think that HBO or Adult Swim would destroy that spirit, that essence that makes Indiana Jones so popular.

Essentially I still want this show to be somewhat kid friendly, but without alienating us older fans. Kids are going crazy for Indiana Jones now. It would be stupid for them not to also try and market this for kids too.

Have you read Indiana Jones Adventures Vol 1? That was essentially made for kids, but still felt a heck of a lot like Indy and was not dumbed downed or censored for kids. It still maintained that PG/PG-13 level of content.

This is the direction that I think that the series should take.

RaidersoftheArk

O Please,no animation movie but a live action movie while Ford is still fitt..:D Only that creates the Indiana vibe and atmosphere,instead of a colorfull 3d animation..

Lynx

I'm for a fifth live-action movie and an animated TV show. I don't want Indy to end with KotCS, and I don't believe Lucas, Speilberg or Ford do either.

The Clone Wars movie was a mistake and I think Lucas and co realized that. However, from what I've heard, the show itself is doing quite well. And honestly, it's decent. I'd feel comfortable with an Indiana Jones animated show. Personally, I'd like to have it between where Young Indy ends and where Temple of Doom begins. Maybe have a few episodes in the 1940s, where Indy is a spy and meets Mac, but the majority should be about a younger, more energized Indiana Jones. Show us where Indy met Abner and Marion Ravenwood. Show us how Indy came to be close friends with Marcus Brody and Sallah. Show us the beginning of Indy's rivalry with Rene Beloq. Show us a fresh Professor of Archeology embarking on his first adventures as a rogue archeologist.There's plenty of material there for a show.

As for the animation style, I'm fine with either 2D animation or CG, but if they take the latter route, it'd have to be a radically different style from The Clone Wars. The blocky style works for Star Wars, but would be highly distracting in an Indy series.

But, I don't want to see an animated Indy movie. And I doubt we'll ever see one. I do, however, want to see a final live action film that ends the IJ saga. KotCS left the door wide open for a sequel, and it'd be a damn shame not to take advantage of that. With recent comments from both Ford and Lucas, though, I'm pretty sure we will see an Indy V.

RONDC20

I also don't think that a theatrical animated Indy movie is a very good idea, but perhaps a Pilot movie for the animated TV series.

As for the time period. I don't want to see Young Indy at all. I want to see the Indy we all know and love. I say start the series of in 1930 and span that decade with adventures taking place before in between and after the classic film trilogy all the way to 1939 and then some episodes in the 40's with Indy in the OSS.

Lynx You have some great ideas there.